Author Topic: The New York Times has reported that the Hilux is the pirates’ “ride of choice.”  (Read 6243 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I want one!

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/14/why-rebel-groups-love-the-toyota-hilux.html

It’s not just rebels in Afghanistan that love the Hilux. “The Toyota Hilux is everywhere,” says Andrew Exum, a former Army Ranger and now a fellow of the Center for a New American Security. “It’s the vehicular equivalent of the AK-47. It’s ubiquitous to insurgent warfare. And actually, recently, also counterinsurgent warfare. It kicks the hell out of the Humvee.” Anecdotally, a scan of pictures from the last four decades of guerrilla and insurgent warfare around the world—the first iteration of the Hilux appeared in the late ’60s—reveals the Toyota’s wide-ranging influence. Somali pirates bristling with guns hang out of them on the streets of Mogadishu. The New York Times has reported that the Hilux is the pirates’ “ride of choice.”  A ragtag bunch of 20 or so Sudanese fighters raise their arms aloft in the back of a Hilux in 2004. Pakistani militants drive through a crowd, guns high, in 2000. It goes on. Nicaragua, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Liberia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq—U.S. Special Forces even drive Toyota Tacomas (the chunkier, U.S. version of the Hilux) on some of their deployments. (Click here for a gallery of Toyota trucks in conflict-torn regions.)
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
My Tacoma works great. It's just too small.

Great music in that Top Gear video, great video all around.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:37:25 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• friend
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

stevelyn

• friend
Too bad they aren't available in the US.

What would it take to get one?
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
It might be a model we actually do get just rebranded with a different name.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:36:43 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

gunsmith

• friend
apparently, according to a calguns member- you order one cut in half from Japan
a half clip is when they cut the vehicle in half
and send the front half w/ engine overseas to us, the 2LTE engine will drop into ANY 20r engine bay

The quoted calgunnie does it for a living.

looks really sweet, I wonder how much that cost?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Everyone uses those things, even the US military (and not just the high-speed low-drag folks). Wicked little truck: diesel, manual transmission, 4x4, crew cab and a weapon pintle mount on the roll bar. Got to drive one about a few times in Afghanistan.

De Selby

• friend
I used one to move house, last time I moved.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It might be a model we actually do get just rebranbded with a different name.

It was the same Toyota truck we were getting here, just sans diesel and with a different name.  It's now the Tacoma line.

Dad had an 82 model 4wd.  Put about elebenty billion very hard miles on it.  Other than the occasional clutch and brake job it never broke.  At all.  Ever.  I can't remember putting so much as a starter on it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
Why would you buy a vehicle cut in half?  ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Why would you buy a vehicle cut in half?  ???

To get the diesel engine, which is unavailable here otherwise. It can't be shipped in due to the stupid environmental regulations (which are the reason we don't have small truck with diesels in the first place)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I want one of the up-armored ones the MNU uses to patrol District 9.

I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
To get the diesel engine, which is unavailable here otherwise. It can't be shipped in due to the stupid environmental regulations (which are the reason we don't have small truck with diesels in the first place)

Oh, so to take the engine and put it in a Tacoma to make it a Hilux? Can't imagine shipping being very cheap.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Dad had an 82 model 4wd.  Put about elebenty billion very hard miles on it.  Other than the occasional clutch and brake job it never broke.  At all.  Ever.  I can't remember putting so much as a starter on it.

Starter is the only thing I've ever replaced on my '98. But then, I learned to drive stick on it, so I've killed the engine a million times trying to put it in first. Besides that, I've just had to recharge the AC.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Oh, so to take the engine and put it in a Tacoma to make it a Hilux? Can't imagine shipping being very cheap.

It's an option that doesn't make much economical sense, but for the really, really dedicated fan who wants a diesel Toyota pickup truck...

At least it's a better use of time/money than say, playing with old land rovers and other stuff that isn't as reliable.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Didn't Toyota make a utility body (a'la' Isuzu) here in the states with the same diesel engine used in Euro-spec Hiluxes?  If so that might be source for a drop-in diesel conversion.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
I have some friends who live in PNG. To hear them tell, the only work they ever had to do on their Hilux is welding the frame back together. After seeing pix of the roads over there I believe it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
I saw some last year that our very low drag guys were using, very nice armor kit they put in them.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.