Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 40889 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
Why didn't the zombies eat the cop when he was in a coma?
The interesting thing I saw was a Ma deuce on a truck near the tank that still had rounds left on the belt ??? ???
If all was lost, I couldn't imagine abandoning that until it was empty- that thing would be potent zombie medicine.
Not sure why the cop chose to fill a bag full of shotguns? It was not only heavy for him to carry, but the police armory should have had at least an AR-15 or two, and he could have carried a lot more ammo.
How was riding a horse into a population center a good idea?
Zombies could use rudimentary tools like rocks to break windows, but couldn't climb a ladder?
Why was one road in Atlanta completely deserted while others were jam packed full of cars? What are the odds that they didn't run into a dead end or blocked road while trying to lure the zombies away from the shopping center?

The two episodes I saw were full of weird holes, but I loved it all the same.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:44 PM »
So, does that mean we have to rethink our strategies for the coming Zombie ApocalypseTM?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2010, 12:00:10 AM »
So, does that mean we have to rethink our strategies for the coming Zombie ApocalypseTM?
Yes, having a few thousand rounds of ammo in storage is going to be woefully inadequate :facepalm:

Barack Obama

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2010, 02:20:36 AM »
Yes, having a few thousand rounds of ammo in storage is going to be woefully inadequate :facepalm:

I have one word for you my friend:

Napalm.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2010, 02:27:55 AM »
Why does anybody wander out unarmed in zombie territory? Much less making out on the forest floor?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2010, 02:30:14 AM »
Why didn't the zombies eat the cop when he was in a coma?
The interesting thing I saw was a Ma deuce on a truck near the tank that still had rounds left on the belt ??? ???
If all was lost, I couldn't imagine abandoning that until it was empty- that thing would be potent zombie medicine.
Not sure why the cop chose to fill a bag full of shotguns? It was not only heavy for him to carry, but the police armory should have had at least an AR-15 or two, and he could have carried a lot more ammo.
How was riding a horse into a population center a good idea?
Zombies could use rudimentary tools like rocks to break windows, but couldn't climb a ladder?
Why was one road in Atlanta completely deserted while others were jam packed full of cars? What are the odds that they didn't run into a dead end or blocked road while trying to lure the zombies away from the shopping center?

The two episodes I saw were full of weird holes, but I loved it all the same.

1) Could be several reasons. There was a stretcher in front of the closed door, and the Zombies react to noise/movement/smell. Possibly they couldn't smell him through the closed door and there definitely would have been no sound or movement.
2) That bothered me too. Although, if zombies were approaching fast, I don't know if I'd be the "go down with the ship" guy or the "run like hell" guy.
3) It's a small southern town, maybe shotguns were all they had (if you remember the opening shootout, there were no rifles present, only shotguns). Also, the main character carries a revolver by choice on patrol, while his partner has a semi-auto.
4) As opposed to walking? The show makes it extremely clear that he's run out of gas and was unable to find more.
5) If you watch carefully, one of the zombies starts to climb up the ladder after seeing them do it.
6) Again, it's clear from watching him ride into Atlanta that everyone there was trying to escape when it turned bad. I assumed that the packed roads were the shortest escape routes. Even if you dismiss that, the asian guy is a scavenger who came to Atlanta after the others had left, so it only makes sense that he'd have knowledge of what roads were clear.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
I have one word for you my friend:

Napalm.

Then you have the problem of flaming zombies to deal with- not good if you are huddled in a building. :laugh:

Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2010, 10:38:34 AM »
If the zombies are out and about, moving around, they require energy. How long can an unfed zombie continue to function? Do they shut down completely, or just hibernate for a while (like the zombie tanker?) and re-animate later on, if not too much time has passed?

Without heart and blood, what is the energy source for the muscles, eyes, olfactory senses, nervous system, etc.,? Some anaerobic process?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:09 AM »
If the zombies are out and about, moving around, they require energy. How long can an unfed zombie continue to function? Do they shut down completely, or just hibernate for a while (like the zombie tanker?) and re-animate later on, if not too much time has passed?

Without heart and blood, what is the energy source for the muscles, eyes, olfactory senses, nervous system, etc.,? Some anaerobic process?

They're ZOMBIES!!  You are being far too logical!  :laugh:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2010, 10:42:49 PM »

A) Probably for the same reason that screenwriters seem to think every rural home contains a double-barreled shotgun.

B) A lot of people are oblivious to the (fairly recent) trend of ARs replacing shotguns as law enforcement's ubiquitous long gun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
its a tolerable show, but the gaps are enormous.
Hollywood writers are great at story telling but seemingly incapable of researching survivalist material, military material, and basic gun skills.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2010, 12:14:59 PM »
its a tolerable show, but the gaps are enormous.
Hollywood writers are great at story telling but seemingly incapable of researching survivalist material, military material, and basic gun skills.

This.  And it is way better than most of what passes for entertainment these days.  All the networks seem to have gone all reality  [barf] all the time.  Hell, even most of cable.
I remember when TLC used to be good.  Now, they are all reality  [barf] all the time.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2010, 01:02:58 PM »
Q?
At what point do zombie populations become self-limiting?
There has to be some sort of population density level where zombies always overwhelm and entirely devour hapless humans before they themselves can become zombies. I'm betting that its only a matter of time before some mathematician or sociologist uses that for their doctoral thesis.

Barack Obama

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2010, 01:04:50 PM »
The real reason for shotguns over ARs in this setting is because had the characters been using ARs, the show would be less... entertaining.

A man with an AR and a bunch of mags can seriously thin out a crowd of zombies.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
A man with an AR and a bunch of mags can seriously thin out a crowd of zombies.
Heck I bet a man with an axe could too if he used the top of a ladder on a building's fire escape as a chokepoint.

Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
True, but swinging an edged weapon can tire one very quickly. Keeping it up against a lot of determined opponents would be challenging.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

brimic

• friends
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2010, 01:28:11 PM »
True, but swinging an edged weapon can tire one very quickly. Keeping it up against a lot of determined opponents would be challenging.
Yes. better use the buddy system in case a weapon breaks/gets stuck and to allow one guy to be at rest.

Reminds me of a hypothetical situation we always talk about at lunch where I work:
If faced with an onrushing endless horde of angry spider monkeys, what weapon and type of armor to use, and how many spider monkeys could you take out before they overwhelm you?
Various firearms were the first wepons debated, but we all agreed that you are dead on your first mag change. Over the last few years of debating, most of us concluded that something like a bowie knife, short machete, or a tomahawk would be best.There still is a lot of debate about armor though.

Barack Obama

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
http://hatsproductions.com/organtrail.html

I present for your amusement: The Organ Trail
The Oregon Trail of the Zombie Apoc

I made it to safety only losing one car mate.  I didn't like him much anyways tho.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »
Yes. better use the buddy system in case a weapon breaks/gets stuck and to allow one guy to be at rest.

Reminds me of a hypothetical situation we always talk about at lunch where I work:
If faced with an onrushing endless horde of angry spider monkeys, what weapon and type of armor to use, and how many spider monkeys could you take out before they overwhelm you?
Various firearms were the first wepons debated, but we all agreed that you are dead on your first mag change. Over the last few years of debating, most of us concluded that something like a bowie knife, short machete, or a tomahawk would be best.There still is a lot of debate about armor though.

Something that covers the face and neck would be most important.

A short samauri sword?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Q?
At what point do zombie populations become self-limiting?
There has to be some sort of population density level where zombies always overwhelm and entirely devour hapless humans before they themselves can become zombies. I'm betting that its only a matter of time before some mathematician or sociologist uses that for their doctoral thesis.

I can longer remember, it may have even been here (and that would make sense!!) but I recall a link to an official research study on Zombie apocolypseses (more like pandemic viruses gone rabid) where they covered stuff you're asking about.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »
Now that I've been studying WMA for a bit, I'm thinking an epee de guerre (medieval hand and a half sword) is a very versatile multi-opponent weapon. Can be used with one or both hands, good dual-edge cutting with a reinforced point for thrusting against joints in armor, quick and agile. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-crecy-xvi.htm This is my Christmas present to myself.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
http://mysite.science.uottawa.ca/rsmith43/Zombies.pdf

WHEN ZOMBIES ATTACK!: MATHEMATICAL
MODELLING OF AN OUTBREAK OF ZOMBIE
INFECTION
Philip Munz1, Ioan Hudea1y, Joe Imad2z, Robert J. Smith
School of Mathematics and Statistics, Carleton University,
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6, Canada
Department of Mathematics, The University of Ottawa,
585 King Edward Ave, Ottawa ON K1N 6N5, Canada
Department of Mathematics and Faculty of Medicine, The University of Ottawa,
585 King Edward Ave, Ottawa ON K1N 6N5, Canada

Abstract
Zombies are a popular figure in pop culture/entertainment and they are usually
portrayed as being brought about through an outbreak or epidemic. Consequently,
we model a zombie attack, using biological assumptions based on popular zombie
movies. We introduce a basic model for zombie infection, determine equilibria and
their stability, and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions. We then refine the
model to introduce a latent period of zombification, whereby humans are infected, but
not infectious, before becoming undead. We then modify the model to include the
effects of possible quarantine or a cure. Finally, we examine the impact of regular,
impulsive reductions in the number of zombies and derive conditions under which
eradication can occur. We show that only quick, aggressive attacks can stave off the
doomsday scenario: the collapse of society as zombies overtake us all.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
"The key difference between the models presented here and other models of infectious
disease is that the dead can come back to life. Clearly, this is an unlikely scenario if taken
literally, but possible real-life applications may include allegiance to political parties, or
diseases with a dormant infection."

Heh, heh...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »
>Over the last few years of debating, most of us concluded that something like a bowie knife, short machete, or a tomahawk would be best.There still is a lot of debate about armor though.<

Spider monkeys, huh?

Honestly, your best bet would be a riot shield, and something like a "true" bowie or tomahawk. If friends are available, two-fisting the weapons while the friends use shields would be ideal. Look something like this: /^\
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:37 AM »
The Walking Dead has been renewed for a second season, this time 13 episodes.  It seems it had phenomenal ratings right out of the gate.
Stories here and here.

Charlie Collier, the President of AMC, is quoted in the second story saying, “No other cable series has ever attracted as many Adults 18-49 as ‘The Walking Dead.’  This reaffirms viewers’ hunger for premium television on basic cable."

Personally, I think it just reaffirms viewers' hunger for zombies.

Rubicon, another AMC series about conspiracies, has been given the boot.