Author Topic: Nationalizing 401k accounts... version 3.0  (Read 5599 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Nationalizing 401k accounts... version 3.0
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:00:15 PM »
The Dems have floated this twice since 2008.

Here's their third try.

This is why I still don't have a penny in a 401k... because I think everyone with one will lose them.  They're the next golden goose for government to plunder.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/capital-commerce/2008/10/23/would-obama-dems-kill-401k-plans.html

"Guaranteed Retirement Accounts."

The government would deposit $600 (inflation indexed) every year into the GRAs. Each worker would also have to save 5 percent of pay into the accounts, to which the government would pay a measly 3 percent return.

401k's - gone.

GRA mandatory 5% deduction from your paycheck, for a 3% annual return.

I'm sure that the "5% deduction" will be "pooled" in a way that the theives Washington elite can access it for pork and graft.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Nationalizing 401k accounts... version 3.0
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA

<---- Cashed out my 401k's   =D   to pay Medical bills  =(

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:41:17 PM »
I don't see 401(k) nationalization.  Losing tax advantages, increased fees, discontinuation, etc?  Sure

Direct theft?  Na.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »
I don't have a 401k but I do have a 403b
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »
I don't have anything of the sort.  I also think that by the time I am of "retirement age" the country will be so different that what we think of as retirement right now won't even exist.  Honestly, I'm not even thinking there will be a United States 50 years from.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:34:05 PM »
Between the stock market crash and this, living for today just got a lot more attractive  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
I don't see 401(k) nationalization.  Losing tax advantages, increased fees, discontinuation, etc?  Sure

Direct theft?  Na.

Every time I've said "Nah, no way in hell they'll do that", they've gone and done it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
I have one that is sizeable to me.  My company's current retirement plan consists of giving an extra few percentage points of 401K contributions over and above the standard matching level. 

I heard one comment somewhere that this might be a scare tactic to drive a bunch of people to cash them out and pay the taxes on them to increase Govt revenues. 

The other problem I would predict:  If they don't confiscate them, they will try to tax the earnings.  I am sure they will find a way to make you pay taxes on earnings even when the 401K sees a net loss. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »
I don't have a 401k but I do have a 403b

I have a 762(r)

;/
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 11:44:21 PM »
I have a 762(r)

;/

Well I put in 5% and my employer puts in 10% so I think that beats your commie bloc rifle.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 12:43:42 AM »
Well I put in 5% and my employer puts in 10% so I think that beats your commie bloc rifle.

It all depends on when--or whom--you plan on "retiring."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 08:45:15 AM »
I'm with RevDisk on this - I can see them (commit political suicide) by changing the terms of 401(k) plans, terminating future contributions, using distributions to reduce Social Security payments, or monkeying with the tax treatment, but outright theft WOULD provoke anger in a lot - and I do mean A LOT - of people,

And if only 1/10 of 1% of the victims were to decide to do something . . . direct . . . things could get very ugly very fast . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
Not contributing to my 401K would be stupid as I'd be missing out on free money (matching contributions from my employer). If such a law were to pass, I'd cash-out my 401K and take the penalties rather than let it go under goobermint control. I don't think outright theft of 401Ks will occur for the reasons already mentioned.

I can see 401Ks getting mangled to the point I'd no longer wish to have one, many people would be angry (me included), and some people would probably lose their political office the subsequent election; that would be the extent of it. Outright theft of people's saved money in their 401Ks would result in some very unpleasant things happening, IMO. For now, I don't see that happening.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
They will do it in the name of "fairness," and all the people who haven't saved enough will be ecstatic.

What is already set in motion is a war between the productive, the self-disciplined, the honorable, and Everyone Else.  The rest is just pre-dance fidgeting.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »
What is already set in motion is a war between the productive, the self-disciplined, the honorable, and Everyone Else.

Sometimes I wonder if that really is their goal. [tinfoil]
I just can't see another reason for the ever increasingly shrill class warfare crap they keep pushing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »
What works so far is that in general, the productive vote in far greater numbers than "Everyone Else" if they have something to vote for.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 11:40:58 AM »
The goal isn't the conflict between productive and non-productive; the goal is control.  The conflict is just the means to the end of control.  They are counting on more and more Americans who are dependent and feel entitled. This isn't exactly news.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 10:38:39 PM »
They will do it in the name of "fairness," and all the people who haven't saved enough will be ecstatic.

What is already set in motion is a war between the productive, the self-disciplined, the honorable, and Everyone Else.  The rest is just pre-dance fidgeting.

You nailed it.

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 01:07:58 AM »

Billy Beck--"All politics in this country now is just dress rehearsal for civil war."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »
I'm with RevDisk on this - I can see them (commit political suicide) by changing the terms of 401(k) plans, terminating future contributions, using distributions to reduce Social Security payments, or monkeying with the tax treatment, but outright theft WOULD provoke anger in a lot - and I do mean A LOT - of people,

And if only 1/10 of 1% of the victims were to decide to do something . . . direct . . . things could get very ugly very fast . . .

If the democrats lose large numbers in next weeks election, I wouldn't discount them doing it between the election and january as a parting F- you to American voters. Obama would rubber stamp it, and the Republicans wouldn't have veto proof numbers to repeal it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 01:49:41 PM »
If the democrats lose large numbers in next weeks election, I wouldn't discount them doing it between the election and january as a parting F- you to American voters. Obama would rubber stamp it, and the Republicans wouldn't have veto proof numbers to repeal it.

Exactly. We are shortly to enter a very dangerous couple of months, where in even though we may "win" in November, it could be a Pyrrhic victory.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 01:56:39 PM »
Exactly. We are shortly to enter a very dangerous couple of months, where in even though we may "win" in November, it could be a Pyrrhic victory.

It will be frightening, but there are senators whose election will be coming up in two years. In fact a great deal of the democrat senators will be up for election.

They might not be so willing to fall on their swords while the house tries to give one last FU to the American public.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »
Expropriating 401Ks would turn the Tea Party into the Guillotine Party.  Not a great idea.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »
They might not be so willing to fall on their swords while the house tries to give one last FU to the American public.

The problem comes with the aftermath of such a law.
How many individual's personal lines in the sand will be crossed when the government confiscated 100s of thousands of dollars, and in many cases millions of dollars from them?
How many of these people have the means of making the lives of certain public figures very precarious?
How many will act when their personal fortunes are taken stolen?

By the time the law would take effect (don't discount a 'special' weekend session like they did with obamacare), the Republicans would be in power and left holding the bag when 'order' needs to be restored.
The democrats will be less remembered  for their massive theft than republicans will be remembered for being 'fascists who trampled all over the Constitution' once the dust settles.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
Wouldn't happen, especially as the Democrats are leaving office. Taxation is never wrong to these people. It is free money.