Author Topic: Boeing asking employees to pay more towards health ins.  (Read 1916 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Boeing asking employees to pay more towards health ins.
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
Just heard on the news that Boeing is asking its employees to pay more into health care. Wonder if my company will do the same. Most of us saw thru the BS when the bill came up. Maybe the rest of Americans will do the same.  I will post a link to the news later when I get to a pc that will let me access Facebook.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Boeing asking employees to pay more towards health ins.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »
geico also
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »

Economy is still pretty bad...  I'm not surprised.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »
Those big rubber bands are pretty expensive these days  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »
The problem would likely get worse even without Obamacare.  That just accelerated it IMO.  You still have a system where the consumer is not impacted a great deal by costs except indirectly through their provider or employer.  Instead of blaming the whole system, they blame their provider or employer.  Some people seem to make no connection at all between their insurance premium and how much medical services they use on a regular basis.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:27:53 AM »
My employer sent out an email warning of increases in premiums (no break down on how much each side out pay) of up to 40% on the current plans.  Some plans were much less of an increase than that, but still.  That's a heck of a jump for one year.  The plans with increases over 15% are apparently likely on the chopping block with some still TBD alternative (but supposedly a company run insurance plan) that would be less costly to all involved.

We shall see what the final outcome is.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 08:38:30 AM »
My employer previously announced plans to curtail retiree health care for anyone retiring after 2012. They then (I think) ran the numbers and, shocked by the expected exodus of talent in 2012, decided to do away with the current retiree medical plan entirely in 2015 - for everyone, including the 23,000 or so current retirees!   :mad:

They blamed Obamacare.

They claim employees will (in the CEO's words) "get a bag of money" to buy their own retiree health care. Presumably this will be in the health care exchanges (which don't exist yet) under Obamacare (which hasn't been, and ultimately may not, be implemented.) Greta van Sustern mentioned this on her program on Fox, but nobody from the company would consent to an interview, so she had to talk to a newspaper reporter from the city where the corporate HQ is.

And of course they've made a point that the CEO has the same health care plan we do, so we're all in the same boat. (Let's see . . . health insurance will cost the same, typical pension is $, and his pension will be $$$$$ )   :mad: :mad: :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »
Most companies are running the numbers and seeing that:

Penalty for not offering healthcare for each employee: $$  (IIRC, the number of $2000 comes to mind, oh here it is:
For starters, not all employers can afford to provide employees with health care coverage. As a result of this new law, employers with 51 or more full time employees will be required by law to provide adequate coverage or pay an annual penalty of $2,000 per worker in excess of thirty workers. So, a business of 51 workers that can't provide coverage will face a penalty of $42,000.

Cost to provide coverage to employees:  A helluva lot more the $2,000 per employee.

Result:  Dump employer provider health coverage, pay the pittance fine, you'd be stupid not too, and methinks thats what they wanted, force everyone into .gov provided healthcare by making is financially stupid not to dump your employees into the .gov system.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
Just heard on the news that Boeing is asking its employees to pay more into health care. Wonder if my company will do the same. Most of us saw thru the BS when the bill came up. Maybe the rest of Americans will do the same. 

It's my hope that the employers work with the health insurance providers and your amount you pay for your health care, if it increases, is proportional to your (lack of) health.

Healthier people then pay lower premiums than obese/smokers/diabetics/cancer/dwarfs/fistfuls/etc.  It works that way for car insurance, and it should work that way for health insurance.  I'm a big fat proponent of health information privacy and portability, but it ain't right when the triathlete is subsidizing the fried-twinky-bacon-eater's health care.

Otherwise, all the 16 year olds on the road with $250 a month premiums for car insurance need to go up in arms, getting their risk subsidized against all the married/35yearold/safe drivers.

Otherwise, this is just another dose of "privatize gain!  socialize loss!"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:26:27 PM »
It's my hope that the employers work with the health insurance providers and your amount you pay for your health care, if it increases, is proportional to your (lack of) health.

Healthier people then pay lower premiums than obese/smokers/diabetics/cancer/dwarfs/fistfuls/etc.  It works that way for car insurance, and it should work that way for health insurance.  I'm a big fat proponent of health information privacy and portability, but it ain't right when the triathlete is subsidizing the fried-twinky-bacon-eater's health care.

Otherwise, all the 16 year olds on the road with $250 a month premiums for car insurance need to go up in arms, getting their risk subsidized against all the married/35yearold/safe drivers.

Otherwise, this is just another dose of "privatize gain!  socialize loss!"

Silly Capitalist Stooge, free markets are for losers.  :P

IIRC, Obamacare REQUIRES the young and healthy to buy insurance at rates well above what their premiums should be so as to subsidize those older and less healthy.  Just another "Feature" of the steaming turd.... :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 11:28:09 PM »
We got a message from the President of our company explaining the potential increases of health insurance shortly after the bill was passed.  Still haven't seen whether or not the cost will increase.  Doesn't affect me though, because I'm already on government health care (Tricare).  I'm sure that will go up though.