Author Topic: Health care bill contains 3.8% tax on home sales  (Read 2576 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Health care bill contains 3.8% tax on home sales
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:33:05 AM »
I saw a blurb about this a day or so ago, but thought it was hype. I guess it's not.

The health care bill taxes "profits" from home sales in excess of $250,000 for individuals and $500,000 for married couples. Depending upon where someone lives in the country and when he or she bought the home, that kind of "profit" isn't just confined to "the rich".

The tax also applies to sales of second homes (vacation homes, for example) or for sales of rental homes, with no downside limit on the "profit".  That could hurt a lot of people I know.

I wonder how many congressmen knew this was in the bill? Moreover, I wonder who inserted it and why?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Health care bill contains 3.8% tax on home sales
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 04:13:54 AM »
This doesn't really contradict the OP.

To clarify: the first $250,000 of PROFIT on a home sale is not taxed.  ($500,000 if you're married)

Some investment property I co-own with my parents will probably be subject to this when we sell it next year, if planned. 
I don't have a problem with it, if it helps out other people get care they otherwise wouldn't have gotten, or gotten to keep.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
To clarify: the first $250,000 of PROFIT on a home sale is not taxed.  ($500,000 if you're married)

Some investment property I co-own with my parents will probably be subject to this when we sell it next year, if planned. 
I don't have a problem with it, if it helps out other people get care they otherwise wouldn't have gotten, or gotten to keep.

;/

What about the people being booted off their current plans that are now going to be too expensive for employers?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
Why is real estate being taxed to pay for government health care? That's my real sticking point with this. Why not tax garbanzo beans?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:13:04 AM »
That is the point.  It probably won't.  I likely will go directly to the general govt coffers.  A large percentage will be eaten up by the FedGov Bureaucracy before it gets spent on anything at all.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »
Quote from: Nitrogen on Today at 12:13:54 AM

I have a problem with it. It sucks to be with out insurance, but its not anyone elses responsibility to buy it for you.  Health care is not a right.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
If you think a surcharge in the name of "fairness" is only going to be leveled at "rich" home sellers, well...  This is just the beginning if Obamaism rules the earth.  Anyone with "wealth" is considered guilty until proven innocent.  They have to get the money from somewhere, right?  They're going to get it from YOU.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:15:46 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:03:28 PM »
IIRC, it's not just home sales, its capital gains taxes in general that are going up under Obamacare.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »
I thought drive by link posting was discouraged on APS? Or, does it only apply to certain people?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
I thought drive by link posting was discouraged on APS? Or, does it only apply to certain people?

;/

Can't catch everything.

How about I delete the post, ban the user, and block his IP.  Would that placate you?

Chris

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 02:48:49 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLtqkRNraNk&feature=player_embedded#!

what obama said back then

edits for sarge
The problem with that is Obama lies.

Why the frak would the CBO compare, in a study of the cost of a bill, a current plan with some hypothetical, completly different plan?  They wouldn't.  One or the other, or both, of those folks is dissembling about what the study actually says.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 05:31:40 PM »
;/

Can't catch everything.

How about I delete the post, ban the user, and block his IP.  Would that placate you?

Chris

No need to be an a$$ about it. It's not my rule

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:35:19 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
I just posted a quick link to give my source for the story. Sorry if I didn't elaborate, but it was time to hit the sack.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »
I just posted a quick link to give my source for the story. Sorry if I didn't elaborate, but it was time to hit the sack.

We know you're not normally the missing linkman. =D

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »
i heard my name, what you want? [tinfoil]