Author Topic: Republicans Kind of Suck … Which Is Why They Will Win Huge in November  (Read 17522 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Why is minimum age a different story?
There are recognized and somewhat measurable differences in decision making ability at different ages. These differences are currently accepted by us and codified in law. There are no such differences with regard to gender. Were we to accept that we might have to disallow women voting and I don't want to be anywhere near that can of worms. I don't really see a link between gays and the age of consent, so I'm not really sure why this is a question.

If other cultures can have 40 year-old men marry 12 year-old girls, why not ours? As long as we're going to redefine marriage, let's let everyone in so we can have true diversity.
See above. We accept that decision making ability differs with age and does not differ with gender. This is not a change and has nothing to do with definition of marriage. Marriage is between consenting parties and neither the gays nor anyone else is out to change that. This, incidentally, rules out the "marrying a dog" junk as well.

Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me have an 18 year-old as wife #2. ;)
Now, talking that 18 year old into it might take some doing...  :)

Given the current economic climate having two working adults to one running the household is starting to look pretty good, though... :)

I suppose it depends upon what things we're talking about gay couples getting. Care to elaborate?
Not being a gay couple my knowledge of those things is somewhat superficial, mostly hearsay from acquaintances. Off the top of my head, the biggies are hospital visitation rights and medical decision making, inheritance, and property division on separation. Heterosexuals get these taken care of with a single stroke of a pen (more or less) and nobody questions it much. Homosexuals have to do a lot more paperwork and then run into hospitals that might refuse to let them in to see a partner anyway because they aren't kin.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
My wife's uncle is really close to us, and is/was active in the gay rights movement. He's explained many of the issues he feels are important, such as the surviving partner having the same right to Social Security benefits, life insurance, probate issues, and other financial matters. He went through this 15 or so years ago when he lost his partner of 20 years. I understand and appreciate very well his concerns, and think they can be addressed without changing the definition of marriage. We're not talking about just words when it comes to redefining marriage, but changing a major component of western culture.

There are recognized and somewhat measurable differences in decision making ability at different ages. These differences are currently accepted by us and codified in law. There are no such differences with regard to gender. Were we to accept that we might have to disallow women voting and I don't want to be anywhere near that can of worms. I don't really see a link between gays and the age of consent, so I'm not really sure why this is a question.

Generally speaking, yes there are recognized differences. Practically speaking, there are millions of people over 18 who make horrible life-changing decisions every day, and millions of minors who make responsible decisions.

We accept an arbitrary number (18) and codify it in law because we have to start somewhere. The number could just as easily be 17 or 19. We do it and stick to it because that's part of our cultural norms.

Other cultures have other norms. Muslims have as a norm the acceptance of marriage between a man and a child. Is their culture wrong? If not, then why can't we adapt some of their norms, as long as we're changing ours to accomplish with gay marriage what could easily be done through changes in financial law?

MicroBalrog

• friend
I have never heard of any jurisdiction denying a marriage license based on the applicant's sexual proclivities, or of any amendment that promotes such. Please explain what you mean.

On this argument, I am entirely not discriminated in the realm of marriage even though the state of Israel prohibits me to marry non-Jews. I can of course always marry a nice Jewish girl!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

White Horseradish

• friend
Generally speaking, yes there are recognized differences. Practically speaking, there are millions of people over 18 who make horrible life-changing decisions every day, and millions of minors who make responsible decisions.
I would agree. Still, the important thing here is that age limits are recognized and gender limits are not.

Other cultures have other norms. Muslims have as a norm the acceptance of marriage between a man and a child. Is their culture wrong? If not, then why can't we adapt some of their norms, as long as we're changing ours to accomplish with gay marriage what could easily be done through changes in financial law?
So what? You keep talking about adapting something from other cultures, but there is no logical connection here. The argument for gay marriage is not at all based on it being acceptable in other cultures. It is actually based on our own existing norms. It's about an internal inconsistency, not about bringing something in form the outside.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

brimic

• friends
So what? You keep talking about adapting something from other cultures, but there is no logical connection here. The argument for gay marriage is not at all based on it being acceptable in other cultures. It is actually based on our own existing norms. It's about an internal inconsistency, not about bringing something in form the outside.

There are a few million Muslims in the United States right now, and I would imagine that within a decade, their numbers will surpass the number of people who identify themselves as GLTB. Muslim culture is part of our culture whether you like it or not. So, by that standard, wouldn't a child marriage be on the same level of legitimacy as a gay marriage?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
Back on topic. The Republicans suck. Their leadership is a bunch of gutless rinos-they need to be relieved of their offices as well. I have a lot of hope in some of the candidates who are challenging establishment dems and rinos in this election- they aren't career politicians with law degrees who give lipservice to their electorate, they are people who are fed up with the system to the point where they stepped up and put their own fortunes and time on the line to run for these offices. The O'donnells and Angles aren't the problem in this country, its the people who make political hay over some of their small gaffes that are the problem.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
I would agree. Still, the important thing here is that age limits are recognized and gender limits are not.

Yes, we recognize age limits. We've also recognized gender limits by not allowing same-sex marriage. That's the norm that some want to change.

Precisely. It is based on our own existing norms, and those norms have dictated that gay marriage is not acceptable. Over two-thirds of the population agree with that statement, which I would argue makes the heterosexual-marriage-only position the norm.

I keep talking about adapting something from other cultures because the gay rights movement is trying to adapt something from a culture other than ours (although from where, I don't know. Certainly not from Islamic culture). I'm throwing out examples of acceptable norms from other cultures because I'd like you or someone else to say why those are bad but gay marriage is good. If we can't say why doing X is not an acceptable change, but gay marriage is an acceptable change, then I can see no reason not to adapt X if we're going to accept gay marriage. If we're going to have significant societal change, get it over with all at once, because we'll be revisiting all of this within a decade or two as other groups use the legal establishment of gay marriage as precedent for what those groups want (more than likely Muslims, since their populations in western countries are growing rapidly).

There is no internal inconsistency unless you begin with the premise that gay marriage and heterosexual marriage are equal institutions, and it is only our existing law that is inconsistent. However, we have hundreds or even thousands of years of western norms saying that gay marriage is not acceptable, so there is no inconsistency.

There is nothing to stop gay couples from having marriage ceremonies, and little to stop gays from getting changes in law recognizing partners' rights in financial matters. Gay marriage advocates want something quite more than that, and for reasons that go beyond ceremony or finance.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I have never heard of any jurisdiction denying a marriage license based on the applicant's sexual proclivities, or of any amendment that promotes such. Please explain what you mean.
On this argument, I am entirely not discriminated in the realm of marriage even though the state of Israel prohibits me to marry non-Jews. I can of course always marry a nice Jewish girl!

So Israeli law asks whether you and your fiancee are Jewish. American law doesn't ask whether either partner is Jewish, homosexual, or fond of bid whist. Your point?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
Off the top of my head, the biggies are hospital visitation rights and medical decision making, inheritance, and property division on separation. Heterosexuals get these taken care of with a single stroke of a pen (more or less) and nobody questions it much. Homosexuals have to do a lot more paperwork and then run into hospitals that might refuse to let them in to see a partner anyway because they aren't kin.

That is factually incorrect. Homosexuals have every opportunity to get married. They've been marrying for millennia, and their marriages have always received equal recognition and treatment with every other marriage.

MechAg94

• friend
What's wrong with polygamy? It's traditional, mentioned in the Bible (a lot). Smiley  Seriously, I see a few practical reasons for me personally to avoid it, such as the difficulty of finding another woman to put up with me (I won't even try, finding one was hard enough) and perhaps the necessity of rewriting divorce statutes. My church doesn't support it, but that's no reason to prevent anyone else from doing it. Otherwise, what's the objection?
Sorry to dredge this from the last page, but I will anyway.  :) 
In general, I could care less if two women in their right mind decide to shack up with some guy.  However, in most cases where I hear of polygamy happening, it is always tied with underage girls (allegedly), closed communities where little outside influences are found, and/or cases where parents decide who the girl will marry.  Not all those are bad things by themselves, but it always looks like the girls have little choice in the matter or don't know any other way.  Of course, I only hear about this from a distance myself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
On the gay marriage thing, it is not a wholely religious issue to me at all.  As a pastor I heard speak said, heterosexuals have been disrespecting the institution of marriage for many years.  They should be surprised if homosexuals have little respect for it.  My only religious concern is that the 14th amendment or discrimination laws would be used to force pastors/priests to marry homosexual couples.  If you don't think that is possible, recall the case in Arizona where a photographer declined to photograph a homosexual couple and was sued. 

One of the radio guys from over on the West Coast (Hugh Hewitt?) mentioned that when the vote went against gays on that proposition, a big majority of blacks and hispanics voted against gay marriage.  It isn't just a bunch of conservative white people who oppose this.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend

So Israeli law asks whether you and your fiancee are Jewish. American law doesn't ask whether either partner is Jewish, homosexual, or fond of bid whist. Your point?

Under your argument, what is the difference?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
We're not talking about just words when it comes to redefining marriage, but changing a major component of western culture.

So why shouldn't we redefine marriage? You've not answered that question quite yet.

Very well, we agreed that the current norm consists of: "Marriage of pne male/one female, prefer of the same age, but never above 18."

The fact it is the norm is not in and of itself a defense of this institution.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Under your argument, what is the difference?

I'm not making an argument. I'm stating facts. You brought up some discriminatory laws in Israel. I assumed you found a similarity to the American laws we're discussing. What is the similarity?

MicroBalrog

• friend
I'm not making an argument. I'm stating facts. You brought up some discriminatory laws in Israel. I assumed you found a similarity to the American laws we're discussing. What is the similarity?

Your argument is that since homosexuals can marry people they don't want to marry, it is not discriminatory to prohibit them from marrying people they do want to marry.

On the same principle then, since I'm still free to marry someone, I am not discriminated against.

On the same principle, a total ban on CCW is not a violation of your 2A rights since you're free to carry openly.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
The fact it is the norm is not in and of itself a defense of this institution.

Social norms that have lasted for centuries usually have some practical basis. Up until not that long ago, a young woman becoming pregnant before marriage was something that was kept private, not something to celebrate. The change in that norm--along with several other factors--contributed to an increase in out-of-wedlock births, which in turn leads to all sorts of social problems. It's in society's interest for children to have two parents.

It's also in society's interest --until proven otherwise--that the two parents be of the opposite sex. I can't recall having read of any culture where homosexual marriage is commonplace, which leads me to believe that other cultures past and present have decided the same thing.

We've been playing with changing all sorts of social norms over the past 50 years, and the results haven't always worked well. Keith Richards notwithstanding, junkies tend to not live very long, and thus heroin use isn't celebrated (except for a few years in the late 60's and early 70's). The whole hippie counterculture was an example of turning cultural norms on their heads to see what would happen. It's like a big switch with "do not touch" stamped in red on it, and some stoned freak yelling, "hey, man, watch this!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
Your argument is that since homosexuals can marry people they don't want to marry, it is not discriminatory to prohibit them from marrying people they do want to marry.

On the same principle then, since I'm still free to marry someone, I am not discriminated against.

On the same principle, a total ban on CCW is not a violation of your 2A rights since you're free to carry openly.

Again, I haven't advanced an argument. Homosexuals are perfectly free to marry, and do exercise the right to marriage in exactly the same way that heterosexuals do, with no additional restrictions.

Recognizing what is, or is not, marriage is not discrimination; any more than the Dept. of Motor Vehicles recognizing what is or is not an actual motor vehicle. I don't want to live in a country where the govt. is required to recognize ping pong balls as motor vehicles, and I don't want to live in a country where the govt. is required to recognize a homosexual relationship as a marriage. That would be a country where reason is "intolerant." I like reason. 

White Horseradish

• friend
Yes, we recognize age limits. We've also recognized gender limits by not allowing same-sex marriage. That's the norm that some want to change.
Age limitations are base on practical limitations. While there are exceptions that you brought up, the majority of teenagers really is not capable of making rational decisions.  The real practical underpinning here is to protect them. We can demonstrate that absence of this limitations will result in harm to someone.

What is the hard practical reason behind the non-acceptance of homosexuals marrying? Who and how is harmed?

Precisely. It is based on our own existing norms, and those norms have dictated that gay marriage is not acceptable. Over two-thirds of the population agree with that statement, which I would argue makes the heterosexual-marriage-only position the norm.
This is not a very good argument for anything. Large portions of the populace at one time agreed on stuff that was later found to be wrong: flat Earth, slavery, miscegenation.

I keep talking about adapting something from other cultures because the gay rights movement is trying to adapt something from a culture other than ours
That's an interesting point of view, but it really is your invention. What basis do you have for this?

I'm throwing out examples of acceptable norms from other cultures because I'd like you or someone else to say why those are bad but gay marriage is good. If we can't say why doing X is not an acceptable change, but gay marriage is an acceptable change, then I can see no reason not to adapt X if we're going to accept gay marriage. If we're going to have significant societal change, get it over with all at once, because we'll be revisiting all of this within a decade or two as other groups use the legal establishment of gay marriage as precedent for what those groups want (more than likely Muslims, since their populations in western countries are growing rapidly).
Well, your clever plan ain't gonna work. :) I'm not going to say anything of the sort, mostly because I think that your initial premise that this is something from outside of our culture is wrong.

There is no internal inconsistency unless you begin with the premise that gay marriage and heterosexual marriage are equal institutions, and it is only our existing law that is inconsistent. However, we have hundreds or even thousands of years of western norms saying that gay marriage is not acceptable, so there is no inconsistency.
I think you have to start one step before that. I think that the premise that marriage is an institution is, at this point in time, incorrect. For evidence, just look around. Marriage today appears to be a legal construct, a special type of contract registered and enforced by the state, in essence, a service. Various religious groups apply their own significance to it, but this does not cross the boundaries of the group and there is no reason why other people should be forced to attach the same significance to it that you do. The inconsistency is that the state provides this service to some citizens of legal age and not to others.

There is nothing to stop gay couples from having marriage ceremonies, and little to stop gays from getting changes in law recognizing partners' rights in financial matters. Gay marriage advocates want something quite more than that, and for reasons that go beyond ceremony or finance.
What would that be? Sounds real ominous.

Social norms that have lasted for centuries usually have some practical basis. Up until not that long ago, a young woman becoming pregnant before marriage was something that was kept private, not something to celebrate. The change in that norm--along with several other factors--contributed to an increase in out-of-wedlock births, which in turn leads to all sorts of social problems. It's in society's interest for children to have two parents.

It's also in society's interest --until proven otherwise--that the two parents be of the opposite sex. I can't recall having read of any culture where homosexual marriage is commonplace, which leads me to believe that other cultures past and present have decided the same thing.
Considering that these days marriage is not reserved solely for raising children this is also not much of an argument. How is a gay couple different from an infertile or consciously "childfree" couple in this respect?

We've been playing with changing all sorts of social norms over the past 50 years, and the results haven't always worked well. Keith Richards notwithstanding, junkies tend to not live very long, and thus heroin use isn't celebrated
This isn't really comparable for the reason I mentioned above. There is clear demonstrable harm in heroin use that is absent in the gay marriage.

Robert A Heinlein

MicroBalrog

• friend
You have the right not not-celebrate whatever you like. I ask what is the basis for using the force of the state to enforce the specific social norms.

Heroin may be unhealthy, but I oppose the War on Drugs nonetheless. Tobacco is unhealthy, and yet we do not prohibit it.

White Horseradish

• friend
Sorry to dredge this from the last page, but I will anyway.  :) 
In general, I could care less if two women in their right mind decide to shack up with some guy.  However, in most cases where I hear of polygamy happening, it is always tied with underage girls (allegedly), closed communities where little outside influences are found, and/or cases where parents decide who the girl will marry.  Not all those are bad things by themselves, but it always looks like the girls have little choice in the matter or don't know any other way.  Of course, I only hear about this from a distance myself.
There is no hard tie there. In the same way, child abuse is often perpetrated by traditionally married people, but being married does not automatically make one an abuser.

On the gay marriage thing, it is not a wholely religious issue to me at all.  As a pastor I heard speak said, heterosexuals have been disrespecting the institution of marriage for many years.  They should be surprised if homosexuals have little respect for it.  
I'd say that it's a little late to talk about redefining marriage - it has already been redefined by popular opinion into something much less that this hallowed institution some folks talk about.

My only religious concern is that the 14th amendment or discrimination laws would be used to force pastors/priests to marry homosexual couples.  If you don't think that is possible, recall the case in Arizona where a photographer declined to photograph a homosexual couple and was sued.
Can, say, a Catholic priest be forced to perform a wedding for a Rastafarian couple?

One of the radio guys from over on the West Coast (Hugh Hewitt?) mentioned that when the vote went against gays on that proposition, a big majority of blacks and hispanics voted against gay marriage.  It isn't just a bunch of conservative white people who oppose this.
Well, there are a couple of communities where marriage is kept sacred... Ever heard the term "babydaddy"?

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
You have the right not not-celebrate whatever you like. I ask what is the basis for using the force of the state to enforce the specific social norms.

Heroin may be unhealthy, but I oppose the War on Drugs nonetheless. Tobacco is unhealthy, and yet we do not prohibit it.

We don't prohibit homosexual weddings or cohabitations either, do we? 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
I'm tired of arguing.

MicroBalrog

• friend
We don't prohibit homosexual weddings or cohabitations either, do we? 

Wasn't it posted here on this forum that at least one state actually does that? Or am I missing something?

White Horseradish

• friend
I'm tired of arguing.
Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected.

Robert A Heinlein

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected.

Oh, I can argue forever, and have in the past. In reviewing the time spent in those arguments, I realized that I wasted significant amounts of my life with nothing to show.

I'm not going to change your mind, and you'll likely not change mine. I've worked very hard today, and don't feel up to it.

If it will make you feel better, I'll even say you won. How's that?