Author Topic: Soros buys reporters for NPR to do "enterprise reporting"  (Read 9075 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Soros buys reporters for NPR to do "enterprise reporting"
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:05:22 AM »
http://bigjournalism.com/wthuston/2010/10/18/george-soros-millions-buying-political-reporters-for-npr/

One might look at this plan and imagine that it isn’t such a bad idea. If states have lost reporters ready to hold local politicians accountable why is it so bad for $1.8 million to be spent to fill that gap? But in the NYT piece one can see why this donation should raise eyebrows instead of making folks feel at ease that the plan is merely helping fill a reporting gap.

Ms. Schiller said the journalists would not be part of typical statehouse coverage, but instead would work on enterprise journalism that looks at how state government decisions play out over years, and extend beyond a single state’s borders.

What exactly does “enterprise journalism” mean? This sure smacks of agenda journalism as opposed to mere reporting, doesn’t it? And even if that isn’t the intent, the rhetoric here is suspicious.

Nothing to see here, citizen.  Keep moving along.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Soros buys reporters for NPR to do "enterprise reporting"
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:17:22 AM »
In other news NPR fires Juan Williams for saying that when he gets on an airplane and sees people in Muslim garb onboard, it makes him 'worried' and 'nervous.'

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-juan-williams-20101021,0,2593969.story
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:33:23 PM »
In other news NPR fires Juan Williams for saying that when he gets on an airplane and sees people in Muslim garb onboard, it makes him 'worried' and 'nervous.'

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-juan-williams-20101021,0,2593969.story

Stupidity is now a fireable offense on NPR? I guess they should proceed to fire their entire staff.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »
What is stupid about it? If someone gets bitten by a dog, it's only natural to be wary of dogs.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »
What is stupid about it? If someone gets bitten by a dog, it's only natural to be wary of dogs.

None of the September 11 attacks were carried out by people 'in Muslim garb'. Even if we forget the majority of the world's Muslims have nothing to do with terorrism  - and in fact are residents to nations allied with the United States - do you genuinely think terrorists will put on their Islam Uniforms when prepping for an attack?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
None of the September 11 attacks were carried out by people 'in Muslim garb'. Even if we forget the majority of the world's Muslims have nothing to do with terorrism  - and in fact are residents to nations allied with the United States - do you genuinely think terrorists will put on their Islam Uniforms when prepping for an attack?
Why not?  Since even looking askance at them is now verboten, hiding in plain sight is a valid tactic.

It could even be a diversion. (Recall the case of the Flying Imams, which was almost certainly a probe of security.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
The elephant's in the living room.  Too bad the living room is now a no-go zone.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 04:17:42 PM »
Honesty is a fireable offense.

Jesse Jackson in a rare moment of clarity:
There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved....

Part of our survival instinct is pattern recognition. Juan's statement is not much different than Jesse's.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Harrison Bergeron

• Everyone is finally equal.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »

It might be natural, but I still do not think it is correct.

if you are bitten by a dog, that does not make all dogs aggressive.  it certainly will make you fear all dogs, though.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »
if you are bitten by a dog, that does not make all dogs aggressive.

No it doesn't, but

it certainly will make you fear all dogs, though.

generalizing from experience is called learning.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »
No it doesn't, but

generalizing from experience is called learning.

Human beings are not statistics.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 05:26:08 PM »
People operate, rightly or wrongly, on perceived probabilities. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
People operate, rightly or wrongly, on perceived probabilities. 

They may do that. And we may judge them on what probabilities they perceive.

And fire them from their taxpayer-funded jobs.

Can anybody point to me where the Constitution authorizes a National Public Radio?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
Can anybody point to me where the Constitution authorizes a National Public Radio?

If we only had the functions enumerated by the Constitution, there would be just 30,000 federal employees.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
It might be natural, but I still do not think it is correct.

if you are bitten by a dog, that does not make all dogs aggressive.  it certainly will make you fear all dogs, though.

Thanks for making my point.
They may do that. And we may judge them on what probabilities they perceive.

And fire them from their taxpayer-funded jobs.

Can't disagree about the Constitutionality of NPR, however, that is not the point of the discussion. If one were to listen to everything he said, not just the perceived "anti Muslim" quote, they might realize it was not just an "anti muslim" statement. No, the 9/11 terrorists weren't wearing "muslim" garb, but they did commit their acts in the name of their religion, so many people would have a tendency to associate it with the clothing.

There is nothing wrong with that, it is completely natural to do so. As long as you are able to logically separate your initial reaction to it from the truth of the circumstance and don't act simply on the basis of your initial fears. If you are bitten by a dog, it is natural to be wary of dogs. A logical person will sort then sort the bad ones from the good and not shoot them all on sight.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »
If we only had the functions enumerated by the Constitution, there would be just 30,000 federal employees.

And that would be a bad thing???   [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »

Yes, and?

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »

Don't forget about the imams on a plane--don't remember where but in the US--they got on in traditional dress and started acting VERY suspiciously.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 04:27:51 AM »
Don't forget about the imams on a plane--don't remember where but in the US--they got on in traditional dress and started acting VERY suspiciously.

And proceeded to... do what, exactly?

Is this the new standard? They might start being suspicious and weird at me ? On that standard I should be scaring myself .

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 05:40:51 AM »
If I didn't know that NPR was a bastion for open thought and free speech, I'd think they were pushing a dogma that their employees must support...or else....

;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »
NPR is really nothing more than "Radio Free Democrat", and has been since its inception.

When candidates ask what items should be cut from the budget, NPR and PBS should be on the list, along with the NEA. From there go on to the Department of Education, etc.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 11:46:28 AM »
And proceeded to... do what, exactly?
Act strangely?  Engage in Muslim prayer rituals?  Test reaction in preparation for another terrorist assault?  
We don't know.  YOU don't know.  I know -- and THAT IS NOT AN ANSWER.  Most people do not get on airplanes and behave in the manner they did.  Even Baptists don't do that.  Behaviour outside the norm tends to draw attention, and if you doubt this assertion I suggest you go to a nearby mall, take your clothes off, and do cartwheels through the place.  I think you will likely draw attention to yourself if you do this.  In fact, you will probably be arrested for indecent exposure, so actually, I recommend you not do this.
Is this the new standard? They might start being suspicious and weird at me ? On that standard I should be scaring myself .
By definition you wouldn't BE "scaring yourself."  "Once bitten, twice shy."  People who haven't been living in a cave since September 11th, 2001  know we're in a war with extremist Islamists.  To act ... "normal" in the face of people who are calling attention to themselves falls a bit outside the "normal" range of human reactions, IMHO.  Now, you may very well fall outside the "norm," but let's not be too hard on everyone who can't live up to your standards, OK?  ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »
Here's the big challenge, IMO:

We live - you, I, doesn't matter if we're in Israel, Germany, America - everybody in the Western World lives in a society where we will meet - some of us, on a daily basis - people who don't only have different views from us, but who come from an entirely different frame of reference. Muslims, Amish, furries, Orthodox Jews, Fistful, Communists, LaVeyans.

The questions is, what to do about it. Naturally we're all sometimes weirded out by these people.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 04:21:06 PM »
and why are they so offended, by people paying attention to what they're doing in a PUBLIC place? [tinfoil]

edit: fixing dumb typo, hopefully i didn't add ten more.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:38:05 PM by sanglant »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 04:49:39 PM »
The questions is, what to do about it.

Well, if they act like Muslim nuts, treat them like Muslim nuts.

It is on them to conform to the American culture.  If they don't like it, they can go back to their dunghill country.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton