Author Topic: its good to be friends with the king  (Read 1008 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
Re: its good to be friends with the king
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:40:29 PM »
ON that last link, my first thought earlier was:  That is what you get when you have one of the highest corporate tax rates.  Companies go out of their way to avoid paying it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »
Companies that use the Double Irish arrangement avoid taxes at home and abroad as the U.S. government struggles to close a projected $1.4 trillion budget gap and European Union countries face a collective projected deficit of 868 billion euros.

Is it just my cynical side or did anyone else get the impression from this sentence that the budget shortfall it isn't the fault of politicians overspending, but is actually the fault of corporations dodging (in my opinion, grossly excessive) taxes? Or am I just reading too much into this?

BMacklem

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »
It comes down to the same thing as democrats saying "tax cuts" need to be paid for.
If they hadn't spent so damn much in the first place, they wouldn't have needed to raise the taxes so high, so we could eventually cut them (albeit marginally).
If those corporations managed to evade paying some taxes by using some loopholes for so many years, then it's the governments job to make their budgets fit with what taxes they do collect, not keep increasing taxes to pay for their increased spending.
If some projects come up that aren't allotted for in the budget, then a temporary increase could be mandated, and then once the project is done, the tax is eliminated. The problem is once a tax is increased, or added, it's mighty difficult to keep the democrats from eliminating it once it's not needed any longer, they just find new ways to waste spend it via earmarks, and pet projects, or just make-work projects to keep the money flowing to them so the next years budget can show that it's "needed" for future uses.