Author Topic: .45 vs 9mm, a new perspective?  (Read 14203 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: .45 vs 9mm, a new perspective?
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2010, 04:39:32 PM »
9mm holstered, 45 in both hands.

I always thought that the "Shooting your way to your rifle" was merely a tongue-in-cheek way to illustrate the rifle's superiority
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
9mm holstered, 45 in both hands.

I always thought that the "Shooting your way to your rifle" was merely a tongue-in-cheek way to illustrate the rifle's superiority

Yes, it is.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »
Once you're on the ninja-path of dual-wielding, you have to advance your thinking past the point of "reloads."

Your hands are full.  Of guns.  There's so much shooting going on, that you NEED a gun in each hand.  That means you don't have time to have one gun go dry, put the other (USEFUL) gun away in a holster, eject the empty mag in the dry gun, use your free hand to draw a spare magazine, insert and rack, then re-engage with the reloaded gun while re-drawing the holstered gun.

Theoretically, you could drop the magazine on the empty gun, re-holster (while still shooting with the good gun), insert a spare mag into the holstered gun via an administrative reload, re-draw the pistol and snag the rear sights on your belt or something else to cycle the slide... but that's dicey.

That takes 2 guns out of the fight.

If you're seriously thinking about 2-gunning, then you need to look at the insane capacity offerings (to avoid running dry).  The fancy competition magazines that hold 20+ rounds, or the G17/G18 30rd SMG magazine.  But not the Pro-Mag shyte.

Then, you've got to have more than just 2 pistols on the belt.  New York reloads keep the good guns in the fight.  You can either re-holster the empty gun or just drop it ('spensive, but faster).

I don't think I've heard of a "good guy" using a two gun tactic anywhere other than a movie, though.  All that comes to mind is the Fort Hood shooter, the VA Tech shooter, and Columbine.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2010, 10:19:41 PM »
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 10:32:11 PM »
I'm with you.  I have both a .40 and a 9mm, I can hit way better with my 9mm than my .40 and that's using both hands on one gun.
I could probably say that also, but try getting a laser or crimson trace laser grips.  At closer ranges, they make it much easier to get back on target and fire.  My primary carry gun is a 40.  It is not a very comfortable gun to shoot lots of rounds at the range IMO, but I pull it out and shoot a few magazines every time and I am more comfortable with it now than after I bought it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

taurusowner

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
Sounds like they deliberately handicapped the tests by only making shots into areas like the intestines and lungs instead of going for CNS shots.  Of course non-CNS shots are going to show substandard outcomes.  If you're relying on big non-vital holes to leak until the target stops, you're right that a bigger hole will be more effective.  Of course if you're actually trying to hit a nerve group like the spine or brain and really shut the target down, you'll probably want something that gives you more shots on target.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 11:36:53 PM »
Of course if you're actually trying to hit a nerve group like the spine or brain and really shut the target down, you'll probably want something that gives you more shots on target.

...and something that will penetrate deeper....9mm does that....10mm does it better...  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Energy transfer does not kill people, if it did, Newton's third law would demand that the act of firing the gun would nearly kill you too. Just moderated slightly by the mass of the gun, and the surface area of it's grips.

Blood loss, and severed organs, nerves, and bone does.

A larger caliber, does mean a larger hole, and more bleeding, and a slight statistical probability of nicking something vital if it's not a direct hit though. OTOH, penetration also gets you more of that too.

After setting pins, and scoring a bowling pin shoot, people shooting at the pins with .223 ball, and 9mm ball and failing regularly to knock them off the table, absolutely does not inspire confidence in those calibers, however, people aren't bowling pins either.  :laugh: Hell, .22LR gives better energy transfer because it does not sail right through the plastic and hard maple or whatever those pins are made with.

(Shrug)

12ga 00 buck removed the pins with authority, but would work poorly after 40 yards or so. (probably 20) The one guy who brought a .44 mag was splitting the pins, and throwng fist-sized chunks off with every shot.

But those would be poor choices in other circumstances.

I promise not to duck.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 08:11:35 PM »
Energy transfer does not kill people, if it did, Newton's third law would demand that the act of firing the gun would nearly kill you too. Just moderated slightly by the mass of the gun, and the surface area of it's grips.

Blood loss, and severed organs, nerves, and bone does.

I get what you're saying, but I've often wondered about this bit of wisdom.  All applications of energy are not the same.  The amount of energy applied to the shooter may well equal the amount of energy applied the the shootee (less losses), but the consequences of that energy application are not at all the same for each participant.  

Energy that accelerates your body slightly backwards (as when soaking up handgun recoil) is a lot more pleasant than an equal quantity of energy that rends your flesh (as when soaking up a hollowpoint to the chest).  

</nitpick>

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »

I don't think I've heard of a "good guy" using a two gun tactic anywhere other than a movie, though.  All that comes to mind is the Fort Hood shooter, the VA Tech shooter, and Columbine.

:lol:

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
Is this a good place to talk about "Macedonian" shooting?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
Is this a good place to talk about "Macedonian" shooting?

I don't know what that means, but this is a family-friendly forum.  :police:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2010, 10:27:09 PM »
Shooting with a gun in each hand, especially old double action revos, seems like an excellent way to miss faster than you can with only one gun.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2010, 09:10:28 AM »
Shooting with a gun in each hand, especially old double action revos, seems like an excellent way to miss faster than you can with only one gun.
I think that is the temptation.  I think that is also a temptation with very high capacity autos.  It takes some discipline to slow yourself down and shoot accurately.  It seems there are stores of guys in the old West taking out multiple bad guys with slow accurate fire.  I guess when you only have 6 or 12 shots, you better make them count. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge