Author Topic: Atlas Shrugged Movie update  (Read 13810 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Atlas Shrugged Movie update
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
The big question is, after you had read the final word and closed the book, did you shrug?  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »
I did not shrug. I returned to my vitally important job, in which the nation's well-being depends upon the muscular shoulders of my immense mind.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »
Ok, THEN I guess the question becomes, with a head sized to hold the immensity of your mind how do you get through doorways?   ???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:39:40 AM by 280plus »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
I did not shrug. I returned to my vitally important job, in which the nation's well-being depends upon the muscular shoulders of my immense mind.

"Supersize that for ya?"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »
Not all are convinced that the Old or New Testaments teach "original sin", as taught by Catholics and Calvin. My conclusion is that the Biblical evidence does not support this teaching. Instead, I see it clearly taught that (all) individuals choose sin.

From a practical point of view, one who believes in a good(just and loving) God probably has a hard time with the surprisingly popular idea that an month-old baby who dies is damned because he was born sinful.  I think Dennis Prager articulates it well in his video on human nature.

So from my perspective, free markets easily fit into altruism. It is the best situation for everyone else. A controlled economy with "me" on top is the most selfish design. A design where I get to vote myself everyone else's money seems pretty selfish too.

Exactly.  "Spread[ing] the wealth around" is just surrogate theft, with the actual thief taking a cut for his services.  Economic freedom is freedom to practice charity or not, however I tend to believe that freer people are more charitable people.

I'd be willing to bet they're going to turn Atlas Shrugged into some avant garde piece of junk that 20-something year old hipsters will swoon for.

I do hope not to see the Che replaced by a John Galt theme.

taurusowner

« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2010, 02:31:32 PM »
"Spread[ing] the wealth around" is just surrogate theft,

Which is why you can tell a lot about someone by how willing they are to be the recipient and beneficiary of that theft.  Even in this thread, some who seem to be against Rand's message are those who stand to lose much without the theft of wealth from others and subsequent delivery into their own bank accounts.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
And with that little personal attack, we close the thread. 

Chris