Author Topic: Weird fashion trends.  (Read 18390 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Weird fashion trends.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »
Saw a kid driving a van into the low sun a month or so ago.  Was shielding his eyes with one hand.

And the bill on his cap was facing backwards.

I hadda laugh.

Fashion!
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 12:52:05 AM »
Good grief, Fistful!
Huh? It ain't like it's my idea. I don't control pop culture.

These are the boots referenced in the OP

I was talking about the picture Monkeyleg posted. Like I said, I haven't seen many girls wearing the fancy rubber boots.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 01:10:54 AM »
She had a hoodie with the hood up over her head, camo pajama bottoms with elastic bottoms tight to her ankles and flip flops and red painted toe nails.  He had on a white plain t-shirt, yellow armpits, worn, wrinkled tuxedo pants, no socks and patent leather black shoes and he needed a shave.

Hipsters.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 03:22:28 AM »
>I don't recall you asking for my opinion<

Since when has THAT stopped you?

For that matter, I seem to recall you being GLAD of how Spoon dresses, when she was helping at the WCCA tables... :P
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:26 AM »
Anywhere there's commercial fishing in Alaska the local garb for men and women is "Sitka sneakers".

X-Tra Tuff boots with jeans or Carhartts tucked in.

Through in a jam band and some hippy dancing and you've got a good night ahead.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 05:43:21 AM »
These are the boots referenced in the OP

Those are getting pretty popular in Texas, too....esp. on rainy days. My wife has a pair that she'll wear from the house to the car on rainy or heavy-dew days so she doesn't get her flip-flops wet....yeah, I know.... ;/

I'll be glad when the flip-flop fad is over....if I wanted to see people's feet daily, I'd have become a podiatrist....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
If by better, you mean "more like a prostitute."

How many threads here involve "fistful" and "boots". How do we know you're not a prostitute? :P   =D

For the record, chicks in boots are H.O.T. (and I don't mean those rain boots).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 12:56:56 PM »
The whole female long cuffed jeans to look like capri pants is what is baffling me this year.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
For the record, chicks in boots are H.O.T. (and I don't mean those rain boots).

Definitely agree, but I don't know why the boots have that effect.

There was a young woman I was with for many months back in the early 70's. The first time I met her she was wearing high heeled over-the-knee suede boots with a short skirt. That definitely was a factor in my approaching her.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »
Hipsters.

You forgot to add the descriptive "motherf***ing worthless" before the word Hipsters. Worse than hippies, I say.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
Fistful prefers his wimmens barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. In his world, only men and hookers wear shoes.  :lol:

Possibly lesbians?

Oh right, don't exist.  Fistful's world is a sad, sad place.  =|

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 03:33:31 PM »
Possibly lesbians?

Oh right, don't exist.  Fistful's world is a sad, sad place.  =|

???

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »
???

Joking. 

Fistful has stated he is against GLBT activities and lifestyle.

Lesbians are frequently stereotypes as wearing masculine-style footwear, particularly boots. 

And I like lesbians, and would find a world without lesbians to be, as stated, a sad, sad place.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
And I like lesbians, and would find a world without lesbians to be, as stated, a sad, sad place.

You, me, and every owner of an WNBA team agree!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
Saw a kid driving a van into the low sun a month or so ago.  Was shielding his eyes with one hand.

And the bill on his cap head was facing backwards.

I hadda laugh.

Fashion!

FIFY.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 03:06:53 AM »
I broke up "my" group of smokers outside our building a while ago.  One of those young men with very loose below-the-knee short pants walked by.

I muttered "Pants, shorts, or a skirt, kid.  Make up your mind."

Fashion!

Terry, 230RN

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 08:55:47 AM »
Joking. 

Fistful has stated he is against GLBT activities and lifestyle.

Lesbians are frequently stereotypes as wearing masculine-style footwear, particularly boots. 

I like lesbians, too.  Especially the ones that are just experimenting.... >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26:34 AM »
I like lesbians, too.  Especially the ones that are just experimenting.... >:D

Years ago, while passing through the country, I ended up in a bar.  Strange place it was, as it was the middle of the afternoon yet the place was full of women.  Even stranger, there were no other guys there.

I remarked on this to the young lady behind the bar.  She told me it was a lesbian bar.  I asked her what that meant, and she told me that lesbians only liked having sex with women.

All those years of laughing at the crude jokes about lesbians, and I find out I'm one!  How awful I felt.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 01:18:58 AM »
I think I see some of the medical people (at least on TV) returning to the old-fashioned way of carrying stethoscopes  --earpieces around the neck and the chestpiece hanging down and in a pocket.  Seems much more practical than recent practice with the earpieces on one side of the neck, chestpiece hanging down on the other.

Fashion!

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:25:59 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »
I think I see some of the medical people (at least on TV) returning to the old-fashioned way of carrying stethoscopes  --earpieces around the neck and the chestpiece hanging down and in a pocket.  Seems much more practical than recent practice with the earpieces on one side of the neck, chestpiece hanging down on the other.

Fashion!

Terry, 230RN

I've seen that wrapped behind the neck thing, and it does seem impractical. Must be the hip fashion. Just like the youngsters at work that make fun of me for carrying my phone in a holster instead of my back pocket, which resides right between my fat butt and whatever I sit on. Fashion is not worth glass in the ass.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:15 AM »
Half-assed Mexican phone carry?

Hmmm... somehow I can't make it really work.  I know there's a gun joke in there somewhere.

Need more coffee this AM. 

A couple of decades ago I went to an office Hallowe'en party as a proctologist.  We in the lab always wore lab coats anyhow and I happened to have a stethoscope at the house, so all I had to do was bring in the stethoscope, carry a pair of rubber gloves in one pocket, put a small jar of vaseline in the other, and wear the stethoscope. Very subtle, actually, especially since we all wore lab coats anyhow.  "Oh, you came as a Doctor, Terry," they'd say, seeing the stethoscope.  Then I'd pull out the jar of Vaseline and the rubber gloves.  "Yep.  I'm a proctologist."

No, I did not win the costume contest that day.

Anyhow, I remember being "corrected" about hanging my stethoscope around my neck by the earpieces, they way I'd always seen them carried.  The Corrector-person told me that medicos don't carry their stethoscops that way any more, they carry them wrapped around their necks.  Never made any sense to me, but yep, I saw that's the way they carried them after I started taking notice of it.

So I guess they're going back to the old way nowadays.

Fashion!

Terry, 230RN

(ETA:  No, the "RN" in my handle has nothing to do with nursing.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:27:54 AM by 230RN »

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
I think I see some of the medical people (at least on TV) returning to the old-fashioned way of carrying stethoscopes  --earpieces around the neck and the chestpiece hanging down and in a pocket.  Seems much more practical than recent practice with the earpieces on one side of the neck, chestpiece hanging down on the other.

I can only speak to how my RN wife carries hers: she has a hip holster she carries hers around in while at work. But she works in a pediatric ER and I'd guess many kids would be likely to grab the stethoscope and yank on it if it were around her neck (in either mentioned configuration) while she's working on them.

griz

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
A long time ago women only had their earLOBES pierced, men generally didn't have earrings at all, and the idea of a ring in your nose was literally a joke.  Back then if you dressed in layers it was to keep warm.  Even then i didn't care much about fashion.

But speaking of fashion today, how many square inches of skin are required to be tattooed before you are allowed to play professional sports?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »
I can only speak to how my RN wife carries hers: she has a hip holster she carries hers around in while at work.

Kydex or Leather...? 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
Kydex or Leather...? 

Plastic, so closer to kydex. Not very tactical, I'm afraid. :P