Author Topic: Letting non-citizens vote?  (Read 14301 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Letting non-citizens vote?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
People on the dole are not necessarily people who have never paid taxes.  I'm not referring to things like gasoline/tobacco/sales taxes, but federal/state/local income tax.  First of all, in many localities, like, oh, MINE, if you have income, you pay city income tax.  I haven't paid federal income tax since my first kid was born, but I've paid income taxes every year.  And yeah, I'm on the dole.  

More on property ownership:

By "property owner" do you mean free and clear?  Damn, if you think we spend too much on social security now, just wait until only people who own land free and clear get to vote!  By the way, a whole lot of older folks who own property free and clear are on the dole, not only social security, which I think most of us probably don't consider welfare/"on the dole" in quite the same sense as other entitlements, but also medicaid, food stamps, and other low-income programs.

Or do you mean any yahoo who managed to get a mortgage?  This could have a salutary effect of increasing the voting power of "fly-over country" but would also further encourage irresponsible borrowing.  If my vote depended on it, I would have gotten a mortgage back a few years ago.  And you can bet I'd be in foreclosure now.  Maybe I'm weird, but voting is that important to me that I would have borrowed--irresponsibly--in order to be able to do it.  I suspect I'm not entirely alone in that.

And then there's the 800 pound gorilla.  Maybe not so much here, but in any major national debate, race invariably comes up.  Black people are on the whole poorer than white people.  Poorer people should not own land in the same proportions as wealthier people (still presuming we're talking about mortgaged land here--for free-and-clear it's no longer "should" but "don't");  as much as I am not a fan of the "first black president" I'm not ok with taking away the vote from a larger proportion of black people.  Like most of the black people I interact with regularly, I'm opposed to a lot of stuff in black culture, but lower levels of land ownership ain't on the list.  

Nor should any of us, witnessing as we are, the collapse of an economy built on bad mortgages, be interested in not only perpetuating but in fact strengthening the government sanctioning of our cultural belief that owning real estate somehow makes one a better person.  It doesn't.  Perhaps staking a claim and building a homestead out of sod and sweat did, but getting an FHA mortgage with 3% down just doesn't.  Heck, getting a traditional mortgage might mean one knows how to save, but not getting such a mortgage doesn't mean one doesn't know how to save: it may just mean that one is more interested in starting a business, going to school, starting a family, taking care of one's parents, getting medical treatment for a serious/chronic illness, or any number of other things.  

Personally, after having lived in and maintained a house for the past several years, I'm hoping to rent for a good long while, possible permanently.  Houses are a whole lot of work, and I've got enough work to do, thank-you-very-much.  

Finally, to get all environmentalist, I'm not in favor of government regulation that encourages people to take up more space than they otherwise would.  I've got nothing against suburban America, and think that we are handling each environmental impact issue of that mode of living as it arises to the best of our ability (e.g. sharpshooters in county parks reducing suburban deer herds to manageable levels; HOA's on waterfront property banning fertilizer use to preserve local water quality; similar local efforts).  I do, however, have a big problem with taking people who would be perfectly content to live in a 1500 square foot apartment and using the right to vote a way of pressuring them to own a house and yard and subsequent rise in spending and consumption of all kinds of resources, natural and otherwise.  Fine, we live in a consumer society.  I prefer to classify myself in a less locust-like way, but hey, that's the model we are built on.  And it's working so well..... :facepalm:

No, owning real property should not be a basis for voting rights.  At all.  [I also don't think it should be a basis for calculating school taxes; but then I think we should shift all the taxes currently used for public education to public health.  Shift education to the private sector and health to the public sector.  Seems a nifty way of handling the health care question with raising taxes to insane(r) levels and address the issue of excessive government interference in private life by giving people back their kids while shifting some control of health care away from corporate decision-makers to government decision-makers, but then I digress... =D ]

As for limited participation in local elections for non-citizens: yah sure, I think it would be ok to waive in some non-citizen immigrants.  Logistically, it would simply involve an amended ballot; have one of the little old ladies who run the polling places black out the sections of the ballot that pertain to non-local issues.  Waiving in should be on an individual basis, and the applicant should have to demonstrate some reason why he is not a citizen:  financial hardship could be ok, as could other reasons like multinational employment, etc.  

One of the local rabbis in the Detroit Jewish community became a citizen something like forty years after immigrating to the US.  No reason; it just wasn't a priority.  They weren't well off, but they could have scraped the money together at some point in that forty years.  I suspect that kind of thin may be more common in various kinds of fundamentalist communities, where, as in that community, members don't think of themselves as Americans.  Heck, I was openly criticized in middle school for self-identifying as American, because "Jews in Germany thought they were Germans, until the Holocaust; we're just Jews, first and last."  That may have been true of German Jews, but that attitude should be discouraged by American governmental units, even local ones.  If someone considers himself so much a (fill-in-ethnicity-here) that he can't be bothered to become an American, then allowing him to vote is simply giving away the farm.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 02:33:38 PM »
You're quite welcome to take my vote.

...and on that note, I wonder how many other former military personnel on this board came late to the property-owning game or don't (yet) own property?

We've got at least one member on his way to a deployment.  I doubt he owns real property.  Speaking of unintended consequences, how do you feel about a military with a substantially lower rate of voting rights than the rest of the country and what the implementation of real property ownership as a prerequisite to voting would do to the quality of the US military?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 06:33:10 PM »
I rent.  Because I do not want the hassles of ownership.  And I pay the same real estate and school taxes as the rest of the mortgage-holders in the county/state pay - just not directly.  You can bet the landlord is collecting enough to cover the taxes to be paid on the property I occupy - which happens to be valued by the county as about 7% more than a similar property less than 100 feet west of the lot my place occupies.  (Went & looked it up, I did!)

I don't have a kid in the school system - have not had one in school since 1998.  But I pay school taxes.

I don't pay state or federal income taxes - because technically I either get funds from tax-free investments (a benefit I get in exchange for investing in something risky like a municipal project) or am living off cash in my mattress, or the money I receive in exchange for my labor is too low to require a tax to be paid.

I'm a vet with a compensable wound.

I'm not a felon.  Heck, I'm not even a misdemeanant.

And you yahoos are talking about me not "qualifying" to be able to cast a vote?

The only thing I did that did not require some effort or sweat/blood equity was to be born here or one natural and one naturalized citizen.  On that score I figured they paid the equity on my behalf.

stay safe.

Oh!  As for folks working for multi-nationals who are assigned to work somewhere besides their home country?  No problem, as they are declared guests in this country and not trying to reap the benefits without paying.  The complicated tax filing and paying requirements of both the USA and their native country see that their fair share is bled out of them - possibly twice.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 07:27:25 PM »
I think the "property owner" schtick is a big distraction.  Back in the 1790's, our FedGov was not the taxing behemoth it is today.  Taxes were paid to the State you lived in.  The FedGov had no property taxes and no income taxes.  I believe Federal revenue was generated by tariffs and such.  Predecessors to our current excise taxes.

Elections also worked differently back then.  Only land-owners could vote, but technically they voted for Electors for their State.  Not for President/VP/etc.  They voted for State Senators and Representatives.  The State Legislature then voted for US Senators... not the people directly.

As such, all voting was a local institution to the State.  The State levied property taxes (it had no power to regulate interstate commerce or to tax based on tariffs (those are Powers reserved to the FedGov by the Constitution), and income tax hadn't been invented yet).  And so the tie between landowners and voting rights was drawn.

Now that the Fed Gov directly attacks the incomes of everyone, it makes sense for all citizens to be able to vote, regardless of property ownership.

By not allowing people who  don't own property to vote, the idea was to diminish the number of people who would tend to vote away other peoples' monies through the government.  If that had been maintained, we might have today a far smaller moocher class.
Atleast, that was the Founders' theory.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »
Property doesn't mean "real property;" it means a financial stake in society, some level of ownership and participation.  Citizenship isn't, at root, just about paying taxes, at least in my mind.  It is about subscribing to and endorsing the basic legacy values of the nation.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »
basic legacy values of the nation.

as defined by who?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
Hey, if the electorate won't stand for creating more citizens/voters through legalizing immigration, then skip the whole citizenship thing and get those extra votes you need without bothering about citizenship.  Easy!

I support the ability of small localities to choose who votes in their elections.  I would certainly hope they use their discretion to say HELL NO to non-citizens voting, but it really should be their choice. 

At the state or national level?  Not a chance.  Too much opportunity for graft, corruption, and electioneering.  If you're not a citizen of our country, you don't get to vote in our elections.  Go vote in your own country's elections.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »
By not allowing people who  don't own property to vote, the idea was to diminish the number of people who would tend to vote away other peoples' monies through the government.  If that had been maintained, we might have today a far smaller moocher class.
Atleast, that was the Founders' theory.

Which of the Founders? You realize that Jefferson was for expanding the franchise, right?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:22 PM »
Jeffersonian ideology was not the be-all and end-all of the Founders' thinking.

;)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »
Jeffersonian ideology was not the be-all and end-all of the Founders' thinking.

;)

Sure, but neither was any kind of ideology. To portray one faction of the FF as if to say 'this is what the Founding Fathers thought' is a misrepresentation.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
Indeed.  Yet Thommy Jeff seems to be the only one of the lot that gets regular mention and quotation in certain circles, and the only one who is referred to when looking to support or refute any particular idea.  This is, I believe, a major mistake.  He had some good ideas, but also some bad ones.  And there was a while there, after his wife died, where his thinking was a little cracked.  It takes some doing to be over-the-top radical and bloodthirsty among a band of revolutionaries, but Jefferson kinda pulled it off.

So, anyway, Jefferson was for expanding the franchise.  So what?  Does that make expanding the franchise a good idea?  I would say not.  Leastaways not based entirely on Jefferson's beliefs alone.  

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »
He had some good ideas, but also some bad ones.

Not unlike any other Founding Father.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 10:49:54 PM »
Expanding the franchise until the franchise loses all meaning?  I doubt that.  Give the man some credit--even if he did spend too much time inhaling French ideas.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 12:11:43 AM »
What exactly does "expanding the franchise" mean?  I have no problem with allowing legal immigrants to go through the motions to get citizenship.  I really don't have any problem with illegals doing the same though there needs to be some way to verify their record was clean during that time and I think they should have to wait longer.  Does that make me in favor of "expanding the franchise"?  I certainly don't want to close the franchise or limit it to only kids of citizens.  Do you mean someone who is in favor of full citizenship rights as soon as they step on US soil?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 06:57:24 AM »
What I means solely is that property tests for voting, especially land-owning tests, were not what all the Founders agreed on.

The topic of the thread? Letting non-citizens vote? I naturally cannot express an opinion on it.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 08:03:46 AM »
The wealthiest property owners have taken more taxpayer money per head than any other group in America.

Whoever got the idea that owning property means not voting to take other people's money is entirely off the mark - the historical track record so far has shown that greater ownership of property corresponds, over time, to greater wealth-grabbing from others. 

Restricting the franchise along these lines is a good way to create a Latin American style oligarchy, which is basically a repeat of the feudal system.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
The wealthiest property owners have taken more taxpayer money per head than any other group in America.

Whoever got the idea that owning property means not voting to take other people's money is entirely off the mark - the historical track record so far has shown that greater ownership of property corresponds, over time, to greater wealth-grabbing from others. 

Restricting the franchise along these lines is a good way to create a Latin American style oligarchy, which is basically a repeat of the feudal system.

Source?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:55 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »
Who do you think pockets the bailout money? And the pork? And the bridge-to-nowhere contracts?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »
Who do you think pockets the bailout money? And the pork? And the bridge-to-nowhere contracts?

Some corporations do (and Democrats and unions). "Wealthiest property owners" is a broad and disingenuous brush.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »

[tinfoil]... Brought to you, without fanfare, or a grain of truth, straight from the twilight zone.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
Let's stipulate there are thieves at all points of the economic spectrum, can we?  The extravagances and predations of the welfare state would not exist without a huge middle-class bureaucracy that benefits from it even more than the people it allegedly "serves."  And who can rationally dispute that we have financial plutocrats "riding dirty"--to borrow JWright's phrase--on taxpayer-fueled bailouts?  Someone's sitting on the $2 trillion the Fed can't account for.  Underlying all of the economic corruption is a growing moral vacuum, and to ignore that is to believe that "jobs" alone will bring today's America back on track.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »
The whole concept of "private property" is about one thing: not being the property of the State; not being owned and controlled by some autocrat; not being a subject.  In the end free men are their own property, and it is that property on which voting rights are based.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »
Never mind.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:43:50 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
Property doesn't mean "real property;" it means a financial stake in society, some level of ownership and participation.  Citizenship isn't, at root, just about paying taxes, at least in my mind.  It is about subscribing to and endorsing the basic legacy values of the nation.

Ok...

So, who gets to vote?

What does one have to do to prove sufficient ownership and participation, sufficient subscription to and endorsement of the "basic legacy values" of the nation?