Author Topic: Getting put on No-Fly List for being rude & crude  (Read 4078 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Getting put on No-Fly List for being rude & crude
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »
http://www.gadling.com/2010/10/27/passenger-put-on-no-fly-list-for-using-ipad/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk1%7C180460

Think only suspected terrorists and hardened criminals end up on the government's infamous No Fly List? Well you best mind your manners on your next flight - in these days of heightened airline security, all it takes is to end up in hot water is some seriously obnoxious passenger behavior and an iPad. According to a recent story on Jalopnik, an air traveler en route from Chicago to New York's LaGuardia landed himself in trouble for refusing to turn off his beloved Apple device (and repeatedly pissing off the flight crew).

I can see him getting arrested for interfering with a flight crew, although there is still some serious question if the electronics really do interfere with the avionics.  It's a stupid ruke, but it's been a rule for like evah.

But being put on the No-Fly list?

I thought that was supposed to be to keep folks who posed an actual threat to the others flying.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Getting put on No-Fly List for being rude & crude
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:49 AM »
I think Mythbusters tried to get a cell phone and other stuff to interfere with airplane electronics and were unable to find any effect at all. 

I've always wondered why it was such an issue.  Do airplanes use a lot of unshielded wiring?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
I suppose the moral of the story is, "If you insist on being an ass be prepared for people to take note. Especially people with the power to really screw you over."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
I suppose the moral of the story is, "If you insist on being an ass be prepared for people to take note. Especially people with the power to really screw you over."

Brad

+1 on that.  You agree to the rules with the purchase of the ticket. I guess technology really runs that guy's life. 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »
+1 on that.  You agree to the rules with the purchase of the ticket. I guess technology really runs that guy's life. 
Yep. Sad, isn't it?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »
http://www.gadling.com/2010/10/27/passenger-put-on-no-fly-list-for-using-ipad/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk1%7C180460

I can see him getting arrested for interfering with a flight crew, although there is still some serious question if the electronics really do interfere with the avionics.  It's a stupid ruke, but it's been a rule for like evah.

But being put on the No-Fly list?

I thought that was supposed to be to keep folks who posed an actual threat to the others flying.

stay safe.

No, they don't interfere with aviations electronics & such.

The No-Fly list is the TSA's version of the Taser.  Like the Taser, it was supposed to be used as a means of defense, but it has become an electronic bureaucratic whip to force compliance.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
They only make you turn that stuff off for take-off and landing, so maybe they could have a special list for people who are allowed to fly at altitude but aren't allowed on the plane while it's taking off or landing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:00:08 AM »
I've always wondered why it was such an issue.  Do airplanes use a lot of unshielded wiring?

For most electronics, it's so that the airline appears to be Doing Something to ensure your safety; if it were otherwise, then all electronic devices, wristwatches included, would have to be shut off.  There's nothing intrinsically more dangerous about an iPod with the wireless networking shut off.

WRT cell phones, it's not an FAA thing, it's an FCC thing; a phone in the sky has LOS on a lot of cell towers, and that's bad for the cell-switching algorithms..
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 11:31:57 AM »
I think Mythbusters tried to get a cell phone and other stuff to interfere with airplane electronics and were unable to find any effect at all. 

I think part of the problem is that airplanes have unshielded antennas.  You can't shield them without defeating their purposes.  I think it then comes back to what frequencies do the consumer electronics operate.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 11:58:49 AM »
They only make you turn that stuff off for take-off and landing, so maybe they could have a special list for people who are allowed to fly at altitude but aren't allowed on the plane while it's taking off or landing.

:laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »
i've been on planes with guys like that  they are worse than crying children   i would cheerfully deplane them at altitude
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 02:07:07 PM »
I wonder if you can get on the "No-Pancake List" for not tipping at Village Inn ...  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 02:53:46 PM »
no tip/  don't go back  or at least don't eat or drink anything if you go back.  not even or especially coffee   :facepalm:  or so i've heard >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »
no tip/  don't go back  or at least don't eat or drink anything if you go back.  not even or especially coffee   :facepalm:  or so i've heard >:D

You mean they don't get the feds involved  ???   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 03:08:27 PM »
I wonder if you can get on the "No-Pancake List" for not tipping at Village Inn ...  :lol:
I ate at a Village Inn - once. Service was fine, prices and portions were fine, but taste of the food? None. You could only tell what you were eating by appearance and texture - everything on the plate tasted the same. If "flavorless" can be considered a taste . . .

BTW, the new Village Inn we got locally didn't last long . . . now the building is some sort of Japanese restaurant/sushi parlor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 03:20:50 PM »
I think part of the problem is that airplanes have unshielded antennas.  You can't shield them without defeating their purposes.  I think it then comes back to what frequencies do the consumer electronics operate.
This.  There are all sorts of weird interactions you can get with RF gear and nearby electronics.  The systems on an airliner are built and tested to be immune to it, and properly functioning consumer gear isn't supposed to emit anything truly offensive, but those assumptions may not always hold. 

Annoying as it is, I can understand the reason for the rules.  Given the potential consequences of any failure, caution is warranted.

And reading the article, it sounds like the iPad wasn't really the source of his entry into the no-fly-list.  Whatever he was doing, it went way beyond mere surliness.  I've been on plenty of flights with surly and rude passengers, but I've never seen anyone be so disruptive that the captain had to intervene.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
So you have to rude and crude while actually on an aircraft to get no-flyed.
OK then, I'm probably till good.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:56 PM »
I was expecting this thread to be another installment in The Legend of JamisJockey.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
FWIW the guy was an ass. But you have to expect that due to the idiocy of what you must go through to fly today. I just went through it yesterday. And will again in 2 weeks. The hoops you must jump through and the *expletive deleted*it attitude of the TSA will make anyone bitchy. The TSA are just plain penis heads. People who probably couldn't get a job elsewhere, diversity hires and such. They treat you as cattle.

And it will get worse. Seems the TSA doesn't like people who opt out, mind you they (TSA) give you a choice, chose wrong and get molested.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39889732/?gt1=43001
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:44 AM »
FWIW the guy was an ass. But you have to expect that due to the idiocy of what you must go through to fly today. I just went through it yesterday. And will again in 2 weeks. The hoops you must jump through and the *expletive deleted* attitude of the TSA will make anyone bitchy. The TSA are just plain penis heads. People who probably couldn't get a job elsewhere, diversity hires and such. They treat you as cattle.

And it will get worse. Seems the TSA doesn't like people who opt out, mind you they (TSA) give you a choice, chose wrong and get molested.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39889732/?gt1=43001

You choose wrong by going to the airport, it seems - if they have the Nude-O-Scopes, and you're selected for them, you either get aggressively groped/frisked by a cop wannabe with delusions of legitimacy and power when you opt-out, or you don't opt-out, in which case you get virtually-strip-searched *AND* groped/frisked by a cop wannabe with delusions of legitimacy and power, according to numerous flyers at Flyertalk's Travel Safety And Security board. :facepalm:

And rumor has it things will be getting worse over the weekend - some of the resident screeners on that board have been hinting rather gloatingly about "big changes at the end of the month" which many/most there won't like. [barf]

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 01:53:39 AM »
Considering how stupid so many Americans are, the rules have to be easy and blanketly appliable to understand.

Instead of "No radiofrequency equipment that operates on 1.57542GHz, 118.0 and 135.975 MHz, 108.1 - 117.95 MHz, etc etc.  (And not even getting into harmonics, either), it's much easier to just say, "Hey, moron, turn that crap off."
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 02:32:20 AM »
Instead of "No radiofrequency equipment that operates on 1.57542GHz, 118.0 and 135.975 MHz, 108.1 - 117.95 MHz, etc etc.  (And not even getting into harmonics, either), it's much easier to just say, "Hey, moron, turn that crap off."

"Who you callin' a radio freak, ya moron? This ain't even a radio. Sheesh!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 08:51:19 AM »
My favorite electromagnetics fields professor likes to say very emphatically about cell phones (especially to freshmen, some who haven't realized this yet): "Is not phone, IS RADIO!"
Andy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
My favorite electromagnetics fields professor likes to say very emphatically about cell phones (especially to freshmen, some who haven't realized this yet): "Is not phone, IS RADIO!"

I have absolutely no idea how folks do not understand that.  If it's communicating without wires and you can hold it, it's probably just a radio with a fancy interface.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

GadsdenGraphics

• Gadsden Graphics
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 01:10:46 PM »

I agree - but this guy was put on the list mid-air.  That would suck.
Visit my store for unique RKBA and rightwing decals: www.GadsdenGraphics.com