Author Topic: Because like pot is really not bad  (Read 18132 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Because like pot is really not bad
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »
There are two reasons, and only two reasons to legalize drugs (all drugs) IMHO, YMMV
1) Freedom.  We should be free people to do with our bodies as we please.  Crimes like robbery, rape and murder are already illegal.  Blaming illicit substances for the crimes of a person is, well, wrong.  See, said criminal was of free will and mind to take said drugs.  They are and always should be responsible for whatever actions they take after using said drugs.

It isn't just a matter of "blaming" the drugs for the behaviour.  What happens when the drug head runs out of funds and starts stealing to support his habit?  Yeah, yeah, he's still responsible for the behaviour, but that's ignoring the point; an addiction driven behaviour becomes a drag on and a danger to society.  You can punish the bad guy until the cows come home -- that's fine.  But you would still be condoning behaviour that arguably caused it in the first place.
What do you do then?  Mount a vast propaganda campaign ("just say no!" :police: [popcorn] ) in order to "persuade" people not to use them?  But if you're trying to save $$$, wouldn't that then defeat the purpose?  I mean all that propaganda is going to cost something.
I suspect a lot of adults would probably not start using drugs, but I do think it would become easier for kids to get drugs (and I know it's pretty easy now, but don't think it "can't get worse" -- it can)  and I think that's what will become the sore point.  Teenagers often think they have all the answers but the truth is they often take bad decisions borne out of inexperience and youthful ignorance and pride, not to mention a desire to "revolt" against parental authority, which also manifests itself in dangerous and/or illegal behaviour at times.

2)  Prohibition of alchohol brought us crime.  Real crime, organzied.  Murder and bribery were the name of the game when it came to moving illegal alcohol.  History, she does repeat herself in the war on drugs.  The harder we try to stamp out drugs, the more profit there is to be made.  The more profit there is to be made, the more risks the cartels will take to make that money.  Bodies are piling up fast in Mexico.  And it is our fault.

Taxation and regulation are just excuses levied by desperate politicians who need revenue streams to fund their failing social projects.

This ship has already sailed. 
But I doubt the sociopathic thugs that operate the cartels and drug running gangs will all of a suddenly morph into saintly paragons of virtue when/if drugs are legalized.
More likely they will remain dangerous psychopathic thugs, except they will be dangerous psychopathic unemployed and >>>desparate<<< thugs ....
So it will be time to buy more ammo ........ again. :facepalm:

"Men are more ready for evil than for good."  ~~ Niccolo Machiavelli.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 06:21:32 PM »
What happens when the drug head runs out of funds and starts stealing to support his habit?

Stealing is already illegal. What happens when the person, who doesn't do drugs, that doesn't have a job and is desperate for money starts stealing to make money? Should we make it a law where businesses have to hire people to keep this from happening?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »
Stealing is already illegal. What happens when the person, who doesn't do drugs, that doesn't have a job and is desperate for money starts stealing to make money? Should we make it a law where businesses have to hire people to keep this from happening?

Irrelevent to my argument. I'm quit aware stealing is already illegal.  The point is that if legalized drugs increases the number of  criminal acts, then what?  Do we want to live with that?  Is it not a function of society to create more order and to try to suppress behaviour that is disruptive to that order?   
Let's not try to go off with comparisons about unemployed people doing that.  While we are a very different society know than we were eighty years ago, the Great Depression did not show a huge increase in the numbers of unemployed accountants running around stealing. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »
Care to specify what kind of "personal freedom" you would like that  isn't provided for in the Constitution or Bill of Rights? 

Care to tell me how the War on Drugs is compatible with the 10th and 9th amendments?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
I'm quit aware stealing is already illegal.

Then what seems to be the problem?

The point is that if legalized drugs increases the number of  criminal acts, then what?  Do we want to live with that?

Yes.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Ben Franklin.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience attending too much liberty than those attending too small degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Making alcohol illegal seemed to increase the number of criminal acts and legalizing it again seemed to drop it. So what if a few criminals resort to crime to get more? How is illegalizing "drugs" in line with the ideas of personal freedom? Plus if the stigma is gone that "drugs are bad, mmmk" then it will be easier for those with a problem with drugs to seek help.

Let's not try to go off with comparisons about unemployed people doing that.  While we are a very different society know than we were eighty years ago, the Great Depression did not show a huge increase in the numbers of unemployed accountants running around stealing.

Anywhere there is increased poverty there is an increase in crime. You don't see rich drug abusers going around breaking into peoples houses do you? If a drug abuser had money then they wouldn't have a need to steal.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »
What would be the benefit of that?  And how many foster kids are you willing to house?

If they can afford drugs, they can afford to provide for their own kids.  If they refuse to do that, they're not fit parents.

That's also why I specified that easily/cheaply produced drugs could be exempted; as I pointed out, pot could be had for free in virtually unlimited quantities by anyone with a bit of garden space.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 07:50:37 PM »
The point is that if legalized drugs increases the number of  criminal acts, then what?

People steal to get alcohol.  People steal to get tobacco.  People steal to get food.  Obviously, the solution is to ban all of those, so people will stop stealing.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »
If they can afford drugs, they can afford to provide for their own kids.  If they refuse to do that, they're not fit parents.

That's also why I specified that easily/cheaply produced drugs could be exempted; as I pointed out, pot could be had for free in virtually unlimited quantities by anyone with a bit of garden space.

Ah, didn't catch the economic bent there.  Still, I fail to see the point in creating a statutory standard of parenting that is based on metabolytes in urine.  There are already more kids in foster care than can be reasonably handled.  How about if their kids show signs of neglect due to lack of resources despite evidence that the parents have or have been provided with resources?  Seems a lot more reasonable to measure parenting based on, y'know, parenting.

And it has the merit of already being the system in place.  Having cocaine metabolytes in one's urine does not mean that one has spend money on cocaine.  It means one has cocaine metabolytes in one's urine.  It meets most every standard of proof in a child protection action that I can think of for demonstrating that the individual has used cocaine, but again, absent direct evidence of harm to the children, it's just too expensive to implement.

And it turns the War of Drugs into the War on Poor People Who Use Drugs.  What's the point? 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
People steal to get alcohol.  People steal to get tobacco.  People steal to get food.  Obviously, the solution is to ban all of those, so people will stop stealing.

No, just make stealing illegal. Oh, wait...  :facepalm:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »
I suspect a lot of adults would probably not start using drugs, but I do think it would become easier for kids to get drugs (and I know it's pretty easy now, but don't think it "can't get worse" -- it can)  and I think that's what will become the sore point.

I don't see how.  I distinctly remember grousing around one Saturday afternoon with some buddies back when I was 19 or 20 that we couldn't find anybody to buy us beer.  We all commented that we sure could find somebody to sell us pot though.

It's pretty hard to control distribution when everybody from the manufacturers right down to the local dealers all operate illegally.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »
I remember back when I was 18 and it was legal for me to buy beer and sit at a bar.  :P

I remember when I was 16 and bought beer out the back door of "Stanley's" on a regular basis. I was very popular.  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »
Ok Tommy, I'm gonna run with your argument...

So, I REALLY like Starbuck's mochas. But they're kinda pricey, and I'm not making that much at work. If I steal some cash o get my mochay goodness, then mochas should be banned?

How about the folks who kill over expensive shoes, or other small items? Should those items be banned, as they lead to criminal acts?

Not saying the legalization is going to make the world all rosy. But the prohibition is certainly not working, and is causing problems...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 09:56:10 PM »
Rabbi, izzat you?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »
Ok Tommy, I'm gonna run with your argument...

So, I REALLY like Starbuck's mochas. But they're kinda pricey, and I'm not making that much at work. If I steal some cash o get my mochay goodness, then mochas should be banned?

How about the folks who kill over expensive shoes, or other small items? Should those items be banned, as they lead to criminal acts?

Not saying the legalization is going to make the world all rosy. But the prohibition is certainly not working, and is causing problems...

Do mochas cause you to lose spatial coordination and drive your car off the road and kill pedestrians, or run head-on into other cars?  Let's keep the argument within sane boundaries.
I know there are people who kill for shoes but we don't associate shoes with destructive behaviour that has deleterious effects on people surrounding the user. 

1.)Then what seems to be the problem?

Yes.
2.) "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Ben Franklin.
3.) "I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience attending too much liberty than those attending too small degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
4.) Making alcohol illegal seemed to increase the number of criminal acts and legalizing it again seemed to drop it. So what if a few criminals resort to crime to get more? How is illegalizing "drugs" in line with the ideas of personal freedom? Plus if the stigma is gone that "drugs are bad, mmmk" then it will be easier for those with a problem with drugs to seek help.

5.) Anywhere there is increased poverty there is an increase in crime. You don't see rich drug abusers going around breaking into peoples houses do you? If a drug abuser had money then they wouldn't have a need to steal.

1.) The "problem" as I thought I'd made clear is that an increasing crime rate is bad for society. 

2.)  What "essential liberty" is there in stoning yourself silly with drugs???  That's one of the most assinine things I've heard claimed. 
3.) "I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience attending too much liberty than those attending too small degree of it." -- true, but if you want me to be exposed to what happens when meth heads get too desperate for drugs then I'd appreciate a much wider latitude in my ability to practice my second amendment rights than I am currently am -- and by that, I mean inside the borders of the entire U.S. of A., NOT just my home state because I happen to live in one with pretty decent CCW laws.
4.)  It is true that prohibition gave the Mafia a lot of power through illegal distilleries and rumrunning, but it is also true that per capita use of alcohol by the general population was never lower than during prohibition.
The basic problem was that alcohol was generally accepted by far more people in America than harder drugs and became politically unpopular.
5.)  A common belief but not one supported by history.  There were some pretty wild and publicized  criminal activity through the depression (such as Bonnie & Clyde and a few other gangsters ...usually around Chicago ... for some reason =D ) but the general crime rate showed no great upheaval.

I don't see how.  I distinctly remember grousing around one Saturday afternoon with some buddies back when I was 19 or 20 that we couldn't find anybody to buy us beer.  We all commented that we sure could find somebody to sell us pot though.

It's pretty hard to control distribution when everybody from the manufacturers right down to the local dealers all operate illegally.

And your experience proves no one else did?   
Right now in California medicinal marijuana is in vogue.  You need a scrip from a doctor.  All you have to do is tell a doctor you have a chronic problem with headaches and very likely he'll give it to you.  The "medical" marijuana has become a joke. 

Care to tell me how the War on Drugs is compatible with the 10th and 9th amendments?

It is not, perhaps; maybe it should be a state issue.  But as a practical matter, given the current social and political climate we're in, I wish you good luck with this.  Oh, and BTW, when you go on the Jihad to re instate the 9th and 10th amendments, keep in mind that when you're doing it in the name of drugs you will turn people off to your movement faster than you can imagine.  You're not going to win the fight using that tactic. 
If you want to restore the ninth & tenth amendment -- a worthy idea BTW, please please please find some other motivation -- something that the majority of the people can empathize with.

Franklin's admonition about what happens when you give up liberty for security is  a wise concept, but the bitter reality is people today want security and generally have a very stilted concept of what "liberty" is.
Given what we tolerate now in airport security ... given that a lot of people seem to want government provided healthcare, that we accept the current tax code despite it's onerous intrusions into our bank accounts, and makes us a slave to the government from each January to May .... I could go on, but I think I've made my point.
We tolerate "necessary evils" today that at one tenth their intrusions in Ben Franklin's time, caused those people to dress as Indians and throw tea overboard.  That was over a 1% tax.  Now we are debating a personal income tax being raised to 39% and our jackwagon politicians whine about the "rich" paying "their fair share" and -- oh joy -- the Republicans are perfectly joyous about promising to keep it at 36% 'cause that'll actually get 'em elected.  Wow,  I am so friggin' impressed [barf]

So ... good luck. 

And it isn't because I am on some Great Holy Jihad of my own to keep these drugs criminalized.  I'm not. 
My faith in humanity is not such that I expect great things from humanity should we keep these drugs banned, or should we legalize them. 
I have not seen any good arguments that make me want to join on this bandwagon.  Restoring the Constitution would be a great thing.  But this is the worst bandwagon I can think of for this purpose. 
It's IMHO one of the reasons the Libertarian Party never seems to get anywhere. 
You are just not going to accomplish it by trying to convince the American people to be more accepting of a behaviour so many view as destructive, so, if you wish to effect change, find something constructive.

Just my two cents ......  ;)

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 01:47:43 AM »
Do mochas cause you to lose spatial coordination and drive your car off the road and kill pedestrians, or run head-on into other cars?  Let's keep the argument within sane boundaries.

What you're describing happens far more often as a result of alcohol use than any other substance.

I know there are people who kill for shoes but we don't associate shoes with destructive behaviour that has deleterious effects on people surrounding the user.

The vast majority of criminals wear shoes.

2.)  What "essential liberty" is there in stoning yourself silly with drugs???  That's one of the most assinine things I've heard claimed.

Find, anywhere in the Constitution, the right to misspell words.

Or, find where the Constitution grants the Federal Government any control over what a person voluntarily puts in their own body.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »
Part of the problem is that most pro-drug people are poor tacticians.

It's amazing to me, I have quite a few "stoner" friends, as well as gunnie friends.  It's amazing how the arguments are exactly the same in both groups.

I'd love to see both groups get together.  Together, we'd both be unstoppable.  Their numbers, our tactical (from a legal standpoint, please) experience...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 02:12:48 AM »
4.)  It is true that prohibition gave the Mafia a lot of power through illegal distilleries and rumrunning, but it is also true that per capita use of alcohol by the general population was never lower than during prohibition.

There is very little to no evidence supporting that statement.  We do not know exactly how consumption of alcohol changed during Prohibition because there was no direct way to determine consumption levels; after all, alcohol was illegal, so there was no way to track sales or production of alcohol.

Some studies, which use mortality, mental health and crime statistics as proxies found that, by the later years of Prohibition, the level of alcohol consumption amongst Americans was actually 60-70 percent greater than the level pre-Prohibition. 

So to say that "per capita use of alcohol by the general population was never lower than during prohibition" is NOT supported by fact.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:16:01 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 02:39:34 AM »
2.)  What "essential liberty" is there in stoning yourself silly with drugs???  That's one of the most assinine things I've heard claimed.

What "essential liberty" is there in drinking yourself silly with alcohol?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2010, 03:08:24 AM »
It seems to me that legalizing pot in order to tax it and derive an income has been tried in europe, and it failed.  It did cause a tax income to dribble in, but expenses went up and wiped out the difference.  Wish I could recall the specifics .... :facepalm: ??? =|
It seems to me that isn't quite the case...

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 07:29:09 AM »
Seems that TommyGun is quite the statist.  Oh, he likes his guns and low taxes all right, but he's more than willing to use the government's gun to control YOU

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 08:13:22 AM »
Tommygunn, True freedom is an ugly, ugly thing.  There is no gaurantee of low crime. 
Unless I commit an offense against another, how dare you prevent me from doing what ever I want to myself?
You realize that your reasoning against drugs is exactly the same reasoning they use to control your guns?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

GadsdenGraphics

• Gadsden Graphics
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 08:20:06 AM »
The government - and by proxy, the individuals supporting criminalization of drugs - has no legitimate authority to control anything that the individual does that does not impact other people.  With some very specific exceptions lined out in the federal and state constitutions, the liberties of the individual end where they meet the corresponding liberties of the individuals around them.

Moralistic arguments aside, the basic unit of political power in America is the state.  The individuals consent to the government of the state, which in turn form a union where specific and defined powers are endowed upon a general government.  Control of marijuana and other substances are not among those.  If a state wishes to ban marijuana (or, for that matter, caffeine), I see no legal reason they may not do so, barring a state-level constitutional prohibition.  If the general government wants to ban the same substance, then there must be a constitutional amendment ratified to give them the authority.

All this talk of Prohibition - if you recall, there was a federal constitutional amendment required to give the federal government the power to ban alcohol.  When Prohibition ended, a second amendment was needed to remove that specific power.  Those of you who are proponents of the status quo -- why did alcohol prohibition require an amendment, but drug prohibition does not?
Visit my store for unique RKBA and rightwing decals: www.GadsdenGraphics.com

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 08:23:40 AM »
The government - and by proxy, the individuals supporting criminalization of drugs - has no legitimate authority to control anything that the individual does All this talk of Prohibition - if you recall, there was a federal constitutional amendment required to give the federal government the power to ban alcohol.  When Prohibition ended, a second amendment was needed to remove that specific power.  Those of you who are proponents of the status quo -- why did alcohol prohibition require an amendment, but drug prohibition does not?

Exactly!   While locally I would be against prohibition as well, there is nothing that says a local or even state government cannot prohibit drugs.  But the Federal Government, short of a constitutional amendment, has ABSOLUTELY NO POWER to do so! 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »
I just wanted to chime in regarding the guy who commented on spatial orientation, etc, when trying to argue against the starbucks point.

I would feel much MUCH more comfortable driving while on cocaine than on alcohol. Or weed, for that matter.

Not that i WOULD, but your argument is somewhat invalid with respect to the drug debate, because the effects of alcohol are more dangerous and deadly than many illicit drugs.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »
What happens when the drug head runs out of funds and starts stealing to support his habit? 
Were talking about pot in this thread, really how many pot heads are breaking in to people house for pot money? I might agree with you a bit if we where talking about legalizing meth, but no not at the moment. Were talking about pot.

But I doubt the sociopathic thugs that operate the cartels and drug running gangs will all of a suddenly morph into saintly paragons of virtue when/if drugs are legalized.
More likely they will remain dangerous psychopathic thugs, except they will be dangerous psychopathic unemployed and >>>desparate<<< thugs

Who's going to go buy a $20 gram pot from the thug on the corner that might rob them when you can grow the stuff yourself for damn near free ??  Wait in that second line are you advocating for the staus quo of kids purchasing pot from these thugs because they might get upset and rob you if we stop purchasing drugs from them? WTF? That's the single worst argument against legalization ever, The drug cartels will be upset and unemployed!  :lol:

Well I'd hope so! No income because a third of your business just vanished means less guns and bullets you can purchase to terrorize honest citizens and less thugs you can afford on your payroll. Seems like a double win to me.

I suspect a lot of adults would probably not start using drugs, but I do think it would become easier for kids to get drugs (and I know it's pretty easy now, but don't think it "can't get worse" -- it can)  and I think that's what will become the sore point.  Teenagers often think they have all the answers but the truth is they often take bad decisions borne out of inexperience and youthful ignorance and pride, not to mention a desire to "revolt" against parental authority, which also manifests itself in dangerous and/or illegal behaviour at times.

You think it would be easier for kids to get drugs than it already is if it where legalized? What are you joking? Or just that ill informed? I still remember my old high school, if you couldn't score a bag of pot on Lake Ave. while you were at lunch you went BACK to school to meet up with one of the many dealers there. Funny thing was I smoked cigarettes at the time and had a MUCH bigger hassle trying to get cigarettes than I would have to get pot. Ask any high school age kid (that's not related to you, they'll probably lie) what's easier to get alcohol, tobacco, or weed. I bet $10 that they say weed. Weed dealers aren't worried about the State pulling their pot license something I think a legal licensed dispenser of Marijuana would have to worry about .