Author Topic: REQUEST FROM HAWAIIAN GUN OWNER SITE  (Read 1865 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
REQUEST FROM HAWAIIAN GUN OWNER SITE
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:46:27 AM »
http://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=837.0

This site (hawaii2a.com) started up about 2 years ago and I joined and subscribe to their e-newsletter.  I visited Hawaii many years ago and loved the place, but it is now one of several states I will never set foot in again because of their very restrictive gun laws.

The request from hawaii2a is for as many eligible people as possible to apply for concealed carry permits, apparently as a prelude to challenging the 2A restrictions on those gorgeous islands.

Hawaii2a himself has requested that the information in the link above be spread as far and as wide as possible.  I don't know if it would do any good for non-residents to apply, but I decided I wanted to comply with the request and participate in this "far and wide" spreading. 

Perhaps you are planning a visit to the Islands this winter and would like to add to the effort, as a non-resident CCW license holder.

Terry, 230RN 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:53:29 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: REQUEST FROM HAWAIIAN GUN OWNER SITE
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:27:32 AM »
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0009.htm

It says a citizen of the United States, not resident of Hawaii.

All of us 9th Circuit types could help make it a reciprocity issue, those outside the West could make it a national one.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:21:14 AM »
^ That's kinda what I was thinking.  If enough request information on and applications for non-resident permits it might create enough of a stir to maybe even make the papers. 

Don't know if something like that would be productive or counter-productive, though.

Terry, 230RN

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »
Don't see how it could be counter-productive.  The default is "no permits issued" for anyone.  If they readdress it will be under 9th Circuit rules eventually so they'll end up with something like shall-issue at least for residents, if not reciprocity for non.

Still a tactical win and long-term the trend is/will be for some form of reciprocity or non-res issue.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:27:04 AM »
I wonder to what officials in Hawaii one would write to simply make an inquiry:

"I have a Colorado Concealed Carry permit and was thinking of visiting a friend in your county. What do I need to do to carry my concealed defensive firearm in your jurisdiction?"

Dumb. Simple. Maybe even effective.

If they get a bunch of them.

Terry, 230RN

HawaiiCCW

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:12:02 AM »
We will be trying to contact the Firearms Division to find out how they handle out of state residents, since they are not restricted from applying.  We have a feeling they will tell us to pack sand.  There is really no negative side to people applying, and we are hoping to cause a little bit of a stir.