Author Topic: Things you don't want criminals to know?  (Read 1452 times)

Things you don't want criminals to know?
« on: March 08, 2006, 12:23:34 AM »
I've been browsing threads on THR with fascination as to the average skillsets of the typical criminal and that very rare few. Preacherman's input was especially enlightening. It occured to me that some of the 1% who know their tools and tactics might be among us, even on THR. Maybe even top posters? They wouldn't be dumb enough to use their aquired skills  (probably from no-background-check Suarez) against cops and they'd immediately know not to mess with civilians (possible CCWers) but what about an organized set of guys preying on gangbangers and other crooks that they know won't run to the police, using squad tactics and no-knock warrant impersonations? That sort of knowledge and training would only be appropriate for really unique operations. We might never know their existence.. and none of their normal life friends might either.

That's the reason I didn't post this on THR (among others), because I think this subforum is small enough that no prying eyes will be showing up. What don't you want a criminal to know, whether it's tactics or general knowledge or a trick, and why should it be kept enough of a secret that I would have to use lies (I want to make an independant film about a SWAT raid and some authentic training would help my acting..) or the simple appeal that always works (can you tell me how X would really, truly work? see, I want to be 100% authentic in my upcoming book/tv script/screenplay and you guys sure do like seeing things done accurate... I know seeing glocks clicking when pointed at someone makes you guys wince..) to find out?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 03:57:25 AM »
Not more than a few months ago, a member of milsurpshooter.net had a hot burgulary in his home where the perps knew exactly what guns the guy had and held a gun to his head to show them where each gun on their list was located.   The guy had a link on his posts that had his email address and which town he lived in. His email address was his full name.  After reading about it, it took me about 25 seconds to google his name and find his address. The guy had some really nice stuff stolen Sad

I don't give out my last name to anyone and usually use silly screen names I won't even give out my screen name I use on TFL or THR on this board, because I have my hometown listed in my profile here (my surname a very uncommon name... though there is a guy who runs a fairly popular website of interest to gunnies with the same surname, but no relation), I don't give out my phone number (phone numbers can be reverse referenced easily with Google), and I usually link a secondary email account to my Bulletin Board accounts (think: Yahoo or Hotmail) that don't contain my name.

I'm a bit paranoid but for the most part I trust posters on this and other sites. Its the thousands of people that lurk that I worry about.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

M14rick

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 04:31:21 AM »
Personaly, I wouldn't have a problem with an organized set of guys preying on gangbangers and known crooks....

Strings

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:33:20 AM »
It wouldn't supprise me in the slightest to find a few criminals lurking on the shooting boards, and using their newfound knowledge to further their criminal carreer. This is about the only reason I can see for allowing people like GunKid to be around... Wink

On a serious note: there've been many occurances of gangbangers joining the Army or Marines, and bringing what they were taught about tactics while in back to the 'hood. Why couldn't they learn some things here?

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 08:43:17 AM »
been done...  Boondock Saints!  

even better than robbing the BG's,  they just whacked em outright.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 08:47:52 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
I've been browsing threads on THR with fascination as to the average skillsets of the typical criminal and that very rare few. Preacherman's input was especially enlightening. It occured to me that some of the 1% who know their tools and tactics might be among us, even on THR. Maybe even top posters? They wouldn't be dumb enough to use their aquired skills  (probably from no-background-check Suarez) against cops and they'd immediately know not to mess with civilians (possible CCWers) but what about an organized set of guys preying on gangbangers and other crooks that they know won't run to the police, using squad tactics and no-knock warrant impersonations? That sort of knowledge and training would only be appropriate for really unique operations. We might never know their existence.. and none of their normal life friends might either.
Uh.  Pretending to be cops and committing executions?   Uhm...   Dude, in the past, I've read and agreed with more than a few of your posts.   This is not one of them.   Considering how far the US is on the way to becoming a police state  (warrantless taps, torture policies, administrative search and seizure, violating the War Crimes Act, etc etc), you want civilians to use even WORSE methods of dealing with at best, minor scum?  

Hypothetically, if someone was stupid enough to start doing so, two things would happen.  More cops would get killed because they would assumed to be rogue, and political dissents would be executed in very similiar to your tactics so their deaths could be laid on such death squads.

That's the reason I didn't post this on THR (among others), because I think this subforum is small enough that no prying eyes will be showing up. What don't you want a criminal to know, whether it's tactics or general knowledge or a trick, and why should it be kept enough of a secret that I would have to use lies (I want to make an independant film about a SWAT raid and some authentic training would help my acting..) or the simple appeal that always works (can you tell me how X would really, truly work? see, I want to be 100% authentic in my upcoming book/tv script/screenplay and you guys sure do like seeing things done accurate... I know seeing glocks clicking when pointed at someone makes you guys wince..) to find out?

Uhm.   Seriously...    Reread what you just wrote.

On a serious note: there've been many occurances of gangbangers joining the Army or Marines, and bringing what they were taught about tactics while in back to the 'hood. Why couldn't they learn some things here?
Not all criminals are stupid.   Just the majority.  If I was up the food chain in the drug trade, I'd pay some folks to join the military, do a couple years, and then come back into private employ.   I wouldn't be surprised if it happened fairly often.   Heck, SF has a brain drain problem these days.   Some personnel are getting very large offers from the private sector.   I sincerely doubt all said private sector companies are 'clean'.

I'm a bit paranoid but for the most part I trust posters on this and other sites. Its the thousands of people that lurk that I worry about.
Heh, Batman Begins was an ok movie, but one line stood out in my mind.   "I'm your worse nightmare! - No, you're not even practice."  (paraphrased)

I mean, seriously, sure most posters here are fairly normal people.   Then again, SOME posters live in homes that have a higher weapons concentration than Iraq.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 12:27:53 PM »
Look at the Euro criminals. For all the chest beating I see from posters who probably haven't been outside the same state in their life about how Europe is backwards or failed or whatever insult they want to heap on it, they sure do produce some impressive villians. Look at that jailbreak with the helicopter insertion and entry teams. Why don't we see that happening here?
Because any villian with that much cash here in the States is called a "CEO" instead of "criminal" ?    Wink
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »
what about an organized set of guys preying on gangbangers and other crooks that they know won't run to the police, using squad tactics and no-knock warrant impersonations? That sort of knowledge and training would only be appropriate for really unique operations. We might never know their existence.. and none of their normal life friends might either.
Help me out here.   Exactly what sort of "unique operation" do you mean.  I know this isn't the high road.  But if it turns into a terrorist training board I'm outta here.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 03:02:41 PM »
but what about an organized set of guys preying on gangbangers and other crooks that they know won't run to the police, using squad tactics and no-knock warrant impersonations? That sort of knowledge and training would only be appropriate for really unique operations. We might never know their existence.. and none of their normal life friends might either.
I think Blackburn was talking about the bad guys doing this.  Some of you are trying to confuse me.

I would guess most of the really professional bad guys don't want to waste time reading gun boards and the dumb bad guys can't read anyway.  Are there some high school ninja troublemakers that might pick up something useful?  Maybe.

I agree with brimic.  I do see risk in posting real names, addresses and lists of guns.  I don't care how skilled you are at gun handling and home defense, it's not going to prevent burglars who are often stupid, fearless and juiced up from trying to get at something they really want.  I've never heard of a burglar pass up guns.

It seems that a lot more people around here have taken up theft as an occupation (or at least hobby), whether it's kicking in apartment doors at night with a shotgun in hand or quietly cleaning out peoples' homes mid-morning after they've gone to work.  Very few of their targets are random.  They know that somebody has something they want, they know where to get it, and all they have to do is plan the time and manner of the taking.

I'm not too worried about a few bad guys learning secret mall ninja techniques or SWAT tactics, or whether 9mm is better than .45acp.  Maybe they will learn that there are a lot more gun nuts out there that will shoot their ass if they come a sneakin' round with ill intent.  I've been on THR for several years and I'm pretty sure I haven't learned anything that would help me be a better criminal there.  I think there's a lot more to learn from watching COPS, all the TV crime shows, the news, the gazillion crime stories that MSNBC and other channels show weekend late nights, and any programs Discovery or TLC might have on law enforcement.  All the techniques needed for successfully carrying out a criminal activity are replayed over and over.
For entertainment purposes only.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 03:10:26 PM »
I think Blackburn was talking about the bad guys doing this.
That was my first impression too.  But he said:

"They wouldn't be dumb enough to use their aquired skills  (probably from no-background-check Suarez) against cops and they'd immediately know not to mess with civilians"

Eliminating cops and civilians as the victims left the nature of the crime unclear to me.  So I asked.

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »
OK, I think I see what you mean now.  So I'll address the question "what are they doing if we don't know about it, and how do we keep them from learning more?"  Please keep in mind this is something I know very little about, so I will be speculating a bit.

First, your question assumes they are doing something at all.  That kind of operation is very difficult to hide.  Even when robbing bad guys who will not call 911, eventually the result will be a bunch of people get shot, and the neighbors tend to notice that.  So I doubt it's a common occurrence.  In addition, for the robbery to be financially worthwhile the victims would have to be pretty high up on the food chain.  I would assume that means they would forcefully defend themselves and/or retaliate.

Keep them from learning more?  Well you have already said they are among the top one percent, so besides being good at their "job", they are smart.  You can not keep smart people from learning things.  The best you can do is have severe penalties for impersonating an officer in addition to the assault and robbery charges.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 10:45:20 PM »
Heh, Batman Begins was an ok movie, but one line stood out in my mind.   "I'm your worse nightmare! - No, you're not even practice."  (paraphrased)

I mean, seriously, sure most posters here are fairly normal people.   Then again, SOME posters live in homes that have a higher weapons concentration than Iraq.
I'll change my stance to "its the thousands of people that lurk and RevDisk that I worry about. Tongue
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 01:16:02 AM »

Oh man, yer on to me!! D=
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 03:53:32 AM »
The reason you don't hear about the ops that the smart crooks are doing is because they are smart. They don't get caught and the really smart ones pull off crimes that don't even get detected as crimes until well after the fact and by then the victim may be too embarrased (especially a corporate one) to report it. Besides the crimes they pull off don't usually result in dead people. Smart crooks just want the money and using violence to get it is very counterproductive. The only crooks that use violence are the ones too dumb to figure out any other way and along with being dumb goes getting caught.

There's a reason for the saying that prisons are full of dumb people. The smart ones don't get caught and even more important don't talk about their escapades.

As far as the crooks learning anything from gun boards. PUHLEEEZ! The smart ones could teach most of us a thing or two and the dumb ones are too dumb to bother coming here (and truth be known most of what they would learn from here, THR, TFL or any of the other gun boards would either be of no use or would get them killed).
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online