Author Topic: Sunday morning on High Island  (Read 2301 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Sunday morning on High Island
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »
http://jadedhaven.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/which-reminds-me/

Daphne's little essay on living as the child of a Pentacostal father and a Catholic mother reminds Jewel of the day her family (less Mom, apparently) were dragged to church.  Do go back to read Daphne's essay as well - especially about discovering the truth about her aunt.

I attended many different church services during that period of my life when I was trying to decide if any of the various flavors might attract me.  Sadly, the best I could come up with was wishing that the small Jewish congregation would hire a hardshell Baptist preacher as their next Rabbi.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: Sunday morning on High Island
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »
That is without a doubt one of the strangest stories I have ever read.  Humorous and sacrilegious at the same time.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
HAMMANA  SHEE TOGEE YODEE YODEE VOVOVOVO TANGA MENTO DODEEDODO

Chan eil mi a' tuigsinn sin idir  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »
Chan eil mi a' tuigsinn sin idir  ;/

In Engrish, preaze?  Or at least an idea of what it is?  (I had some idea of what the portion you quoted meant.  You really don't want to know why.)

Kthnksbi.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »
In Engrish, preaze?  Or at least an idea of what it is?  (I had some idea of what the portion you quoted meant.  You really don't want to know why.)

Kthnksbi.

stay safe.

Gàidhlig (Scots Gaelic): "I don't understand that at all"   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:58:03 PM »
Gàidhlig (Scots Gaelic): "I don't understand that at all"   =D

Thanks.

HAMMANA  SHEE TOGEE YODEE YODEE VOVOVOVO TANGA MENTO DODEEDODO
is Speaking in Tongues - the Holy Spirit enters your body and uses your lungs & vocal cords to express some profound concept http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia .  You need to ask the speaker or their "interpreter" for the  meaning.

Some other folks say that it is a means of ordering hot wings and beer.

Seriously, there is a lot of controversy between belivers and skeptics.  Blows have been exchanged for suggesting that one was "faking" speaking in tongues.  And that's just among believers.

But then, if you believe there is no question to be raised.  If you don't believe, it is all question without the possibility of an answer.

stay safe.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
Seriously, there is a lot of controversy between belivers and skeptics.  Blows have been exchanged for suggesting that one was "faking" speaking in tongues.  And that's just among believers.

I have been around people speaking in tounges a few times.  To a one they all seemed contrived/staged/fake.  I do believe that some people have that gift, and that some have the gift of interpretation.  I just have not met any that expressed those gifts in my presence in a manner that I felt was credible.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:19:36 AM »
I have been around people speaking in tounges a few times.  To a one they all seemed contrived/staged/fake.  I do believe that some people have that gift, and that some have the gift of interpretation.  I just have not met any that expressed those gifts in my presence in a manner that I felt was credible.

I know some folks who not only believe in speaking in tongues but also believe in healing by the laying on of hands.  By all appearances they are just ordinary people.  I think the entire concept depends on people believing it and being affected by that belief.  If they believe and the person receiving the healing believes, I guess it is up to them to decide if it works or not.

I have seen people do some awesome things simply because they believed they could.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:59:04 PM »
"His playing was a thing of exquisite blasphemy. He cast aside the Methodist three-chord blandishments and restraints  and pumped in chords and forbidden rhythms from the Devil’s own Fake Book,  inspiring lustful arousal – augmented minors, dominant sevenths and tenths vamped with a downbeat and walking bass lines. He made the Wurlitzer wail and moan with orgasmic pleasure."

Quoted for pee-in-my-pants laughter and lustyness.

Loved "the Devil's own Fake Book."

Fine writing.  But I couldn't tell whether the Wurlitzer was wailing and moaning with orgasmic pleasure, he himself, or both of them.

I'm betting both. Simultaneously, to boot.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:11:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 11:09:32 PM »
Speaking in Tongues - the Holy Spirit enters your body and uses your lungs & vocal cords to express some profound concept http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia .  You need to ask the speaker or their "interpreter" for the  meaning.

I don't think that's quite correct. As I understand it, the idea is that the Spirit grants an ability to speak in a language that the speaker does not understand. The way you put it sounds more like a person being possessed, and I'm not aware of anyone who sees it that way.

My own view is that the Spirit, in rare instances, prompts believers to speak in languages they do not understand. This may allow them to communicate with someone with whom they don't share a common tongue, or may happen merely for the sake of a miraculous sign. I don't believe it happens (or should be expected to happen) on a regular basis, or that "tongues" can be produced at the speaker's whim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoglossia
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 09:55:23 AM »

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Actually, I can kind of see it.  When I was a kid I used to dream in some kind of language that was certainly not english, and my dream elements could understand it and speak it back to me. 

So maybe they're tapping into the same kind of phenomenon.

I don't discount it as a "real" phenomenon, that is, some expression of some deep-down spiritual elements.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:01:46 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
Whenever I dream in another language, I can't understand anything said  ;/