Author Topic: Air Force F-22 Missing in Alaska  (Read 6041 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Air Force F-22 Missing in Alaska
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »
Sad :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »
True, I mean a standard flight suit isn't an arctic parka. Imagine being dropped into what, possibly sub-zero F temperatures wearing a flight suit? Minimal food/water? No tent? How long can you be expected to last without freezing to death? Hours?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
True, I mean a standard flight suit isn't an arctic parka. Imagine being dropped into what, possibly sub-zero F temperatures wearing a flight suit? Minimal food/water? No tent? How long can you be expected to last without freezing to death? Hours?

I don't know if fighter pilots wear the same one, but if not they wear something similar to an SV-2 or TacAir survival vest that would provide tools to keep them (somewhat) warm. I believe ejection seats also have an integrated survival kit?

Very sad to hear the pilot didn't make it.  =(
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 01:20:37 PM »
Even if he had ejected he'd probably have frozen to death pretty quickly. Maybe auguring into the Earth was a kinder death.
They don't have any survival gear with them?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »
They don't have any survival gear with them?

Deck of cards  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
I don't know if fighter pilots wear the same one, but if not they wear something similar to an SV-2 or TacAir survival vest that would provide tools to keep them (somewhat) warm. I believe ejection seats also have an integrated survival kit?

Don't they also carry something like a SOLAS rescue suit in case of a "water landing?"  It's certainly not something you'd want to hike in, but the whole point of it is to be visible, weatherproof and warm.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
How long can you be expected to last without freezing to death? Hours?

I suppose that depends on how close you land to the fire.

It's been how many days and the water in the crater is just starting to freeze over.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zahc

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
I can't remember where I read this but I'm pretty sure they carry a survival kit consisting of the following:

one .45 caliber automatic
 two boxes of ammunition
 four days concentrated emergency rations
 one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
 one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible
 one hundred dollars in rubles
 one hundred dollars in gold
 nine packs of chewing gum
 one issue of prophylactics
 three lipsticks
 three pair a nylon stockings
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »
Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
I can't remember where I read this but I'm pretty sure they carry a survival kit consisting of the following:

one .45 caliber automatic
 two boxes of ammunition
 four days concentrated emergency rations
 one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
 one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible
 one hundred dollars in rubles
 nine packs of chewing gum
 one issue of prophylactics
 three lipsticks
 three pair a nylon stockings

I think those are the old old cold war kits.

I think this is a more accurate representation of whats in their kits
http://www.donrearic.com/airman.htm

The Air Force doesn't issue .45's any more, so they would have an M9.

After Scott O'Grady was shot down in Bosnia he made some recommendations to the survival kits including a sponge of all things.  Don't remember where I picked up that tid bit, but he came up with idea because several days he was trying to collect dew for drinking water. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »
Actually, the survival kit list provided by Zahc was from the movie Dr. Strangelove, as was my post immediately after, which was a quote from Slim Pickens as the pilot in command of the B-52.  I don't know if the kit list bore any resemblance to reality in terms of the kits used by B-52 crewman in SAC in the early 60's. 

I love that movie, have it on DVD and have large swatches of it memorized.  So I recognized the kit checklist right away. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »
 :facepalm:

I knew that once you said it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »
My dad was a survival instructor in the Air Force in the late '60s.  They ran a survival school at Eielson AFB in Fairbanks.  Also had a WWII Stalag-like POW camp they taught SERE stuff at (which I'm sure did the guys going to Vietnam a lot of good  ;/ ). 

Anyway, the pilots know what to do in cold weather with the kit they're given, particularly the Raptor guys stationed up here.  It's not that cold yet so if he hadn't been injured too badly in the ejection he would probably have been able to survive.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »

With current gold prices, you'd never be able to find $100 worth of it in among the other kit items.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »
Rest peacefully Capt Haney. =(
He and I went to the same high school, albeit about 20 years apart.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2010, 04:23:30 PM »
With current gold prices, you'd never be able to find $100 worth of it in among the other kit items.

You ain't kiddin.  I've got a couple 1/20th coins and they are teeny!
Those are at $105 give or take right now....
JD

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
You ain't kiddin.  I've got a couple 1/20th coins and they are teeny!
Those are at $105 give or take right now....

Mom was a little surprised when I pointed out the scrap value of the two Krugerrands and roll of (real) silver dollars in granddad's gun safe.  She'd been thinking a couple hundred bucks for the whole cigar box they were in.

Now she agrees that we should have backed him when grandma wouldn't let him buy more Krugerrands.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
Looks like the average morgan is doing ~ $25 or just a hair better, up to $28 I saw at Evilbay completed listings. My 1997-w Jackie Robinson $5 piece is ~ $600 and some change.  =D

Shoulda bought more of them.  :'(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »

Rest in Peace, Capt. Haney

Oh, and if any of you guys makes the mistake of searching for "Missing Man Formation" on google...  Be aware, it does some funny things to your monitor resolution.  Makes it all blurry for some damn reason.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
Mom was a little surprised when I pointed out the scrap value of the two Krugerrands and roll of (real) silver dollars in granddad's gun safe.  She'd been thinking a couple hundred bucks for the whole cigar box they were in.

Now she agrees that we should have backed him when grandma wouldn't let him buy more Krugerrands.

I just checked, I couldn't remember what they were exactly.  1/20th maple leafs.  I think I bought them around $130 and they're $156 now  :laugh:
I bought them to have them, SHTF or long long long term.  I'm expecting that gold won't go up much more for the short term since everyone and their brother are investing in it right now.  Anticipating a bubble.
JD