Author Topic: GM IPO  (Read 3764 times)

Racehorse

• friend
GM IPO
« on: November 18, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
Full article at http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1828116920101118?pageNumber=1

Analysts still see challenges for GM, including the overhang of the U.S. government's post-IPO ownership stake.

Other investor concerns include continued losses in GM's European arm -- $1.3 billion over the past three quarters -- and contract talks next year with United Auto Workers.

Post-IPO, a union health care trust will keep 13 percent of GM shares with a board seat representing its interests.

UAW President Bob King said on Wednesday that he welcomed a high stock price but his workers would not offer new concessions next year.

Most of this article and all the other articles I read are all rosy and talking about how great the IPO is, but GM is making no promises to buy out the government stake and is selling what government shares it is selling at a loss to what they were purchased for.

Additionally, the bolded part above tells me that GM is not going to be changing any time soon. It's still government/union owned and operated. Obama gave a multi-billion dollar freebie to his buddies at the Union/Goldman/elsewhere at taxpayer expense. Sorry, I'm not buying that the IPO is a success and proof that the bailout was a good decision.

longeyes

• friend
Re: GM IPO
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:43:16 AM »
There's been a culture shift.  What once was baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet is now pro football, lattes, sushi, and Honda.  The nationalists will buy Ford, not Chevy.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »
The nationalists will buy Ford, not Chevy.

Ayup.

Been happening for a couple years now.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48:19 AM »
The lame thing is that I actually like some of GM's cars and would consider buying one. But with the current ownership structure, I can't in good conscience do that.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 11:02:21 AM »
Some of the cars look pretty good, but when you come down to laying out 30 grand (or more) you want a sure thing or as close as you can get to it.  GM needs to do what the Japanese did aeons ago: win on price until they regain confidence.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »
Some of the cars look pretty good, but when you come down to laying out 30 grand (or more) you want a sure thing or as close as you can get to it.  GM needs to do what the Japanese did aeons ago: win on price until they regain confidence.

The Japanese subsidize their low prices here with artificially inflated prices in their domestic car market, as well as tariffs on imported American cars.

They do the same thing but to the nth degree with rice.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »
I just saw on the MSN website a link that says "Jim Cramer:The GM deal is a winner."
That right there is enough to cast doubts on GM.

There's been a culture shift.  What once was baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet is now pro football, lattes, sushi, and Honda.  The nationalists will buy Ford, not Chevy.
werd.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
The Japanese subsidize their low prices here with artificially inflated prices in their domestic car market, as well as tariffs on imported American cars.

They do the same thing but to the nth degree with rice.

And Japan's been locked in negative, ultra-low, or no growth for going on 2 decades now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »
The lame thing is that I actually like some of GM's cars and would consider buying one. But with the current ownership structure, I can't in good conscience do that.
With the government subsidy on (for example) the Chevy Volt, you ARE buying at least a piece of one, like it or not, with your taxes.

The UAW thanks you, and promises to divert some of your tax money to the 2012 Obama campaign.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »
With the government subsidy on (for example) the Chevy Volt, you ARE buying at least a piece of one, like it or not, with your taxes.

The UAW thanks you, and promises to divert some of your tax money to the 2012 Obama campaign.

Exactly, which is what ticks me off so much about all the glowing praise for the IPO.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 11:32:30 AM »
--Lysander Spooner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
My point was the roles are reversed.  If GM wants to get market share, they will have to do by price advantage, albeit by gov't help.  I'm not recommending they do that or even stay in business.  GM is a zombie enterprise.

The IPO is a great deal for the underwriters.  There will good cheer in the Hamptons this holiday season.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
The Japanese subsidize their low prices here

I wouldn't call Japanese prices, at least not on the big brands such as Toyota and Honda, low by any measurement.

Chris

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvwTMZNWGuk

Okay, which one of you jackwagons left this comment?

My tax dollars at work. They could at least be topless.

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 03:15:22 PM »
I wish it had been me. My thought was: Did they get an NEA grant to produce the stupid brain-sapping schtick?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 03:35:38 PM »
I'm curious.  Short of people speculating on short term IPO stock inflation, what moron investor this side of the funny farm would put their money in GM stock?

Disclosure:  I bought one stock prior to the government directed and "handled" bankrupcy.  Paid twice the amount for the commission as I did for the stock, it was solely to make a point. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 10:59:09 PM »
who's running the pool on when they will confiscate the stock, and give the cash to the unions?

longeyes

• friend
Guangzhou Motors
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
I don't know why you guys are complaining.  What could be better than an auto company run by Obama, the unions, and the Chinese, subsidized by the American taxpayer and used as a financial ATM by the worst on Wall Street?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »
I'm curious.  Short of people speculating on short term IPO stock inflation, what moron investor this side of the funny farm would put their money in GM stock?

That has been exactly what I've been wondering. I haven't seen positive recommendations to buy the stock on any of the investment sites I read. I'm wondering if it's just the rage among the "socially responsible stocks" crowd because of the Volt or people supporting the ideals of the current Administration? Though I would guess that as you mention, some high-risk speculators probably bought it.

At any rate, I can't figure how the stock is worth fifty bucks a share when Ford, who is outdoing GM in every way, is trading at $15.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 11:28:52 AM »
The thing that angers me the most about the GM bailout is that their cars are so shitty, their designers so behind-the-curve, that they have deserved to go bankrupt for decades. The fact that they have been bailed out means that we are stuck with their crap instead of finally being rid of it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 05:37:43 PM »
I really want a GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison. I guess when the time/money comes it is used market or FORD!!! No news coverage of the stockholders who got hosed 18 months ago, must be nice to take their 23 billion and sell it to someone else.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 06:07:47 PM »
It takes a load of chutzpah to congratulate yourself for saving GM when what you really did was to sabotage time-honored principles of contract law in ways that make a mockery out of U.S. law.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 10:11:09 AM »
The thing that angers me the most about the GM bailout is that their cars are so shitty, their designers so behind-the-curve, that they have deserved to go bankrupt for decades. The fact that they have been bailed out means that we are stuck with their crap instead of finally being rid of it.
I don't know.  My 2003 GMC pickup is pretty well designed and has been extremely reliable.  I actually think some of their newest truck/SUV body styles are very good.  However, I won't buy Govt Motors. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge