Author Topic: Thin Blue Line: Institutionalized  (Read 8700 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Thin Blue Line: Institutionalized
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »
That article didn't say much of anything. 

The only 30 MPH zones I see down here are residential streets and such.  Outside of towns, it is normally 45 or faster.  60 or 65 is the normal on the farm roads.

Sometimes bad things happen with cars and no one is really at fault.  I recall that a kid got hit right in front of our drive way while riding a bike.  He and two other kids were riding bikes down the road.  A lady was coming up behind them and slowed to 45 (55 limit) and was going to go around them on the left.  Just as she was going by, one of the kids suddenly veered over to the left lane and got hit.  He was okay except his head banged on the asphalt and he was bleeding.  Ambulance hauled him off. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Thin Blue Line: Institutionalized
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
We had a county cop that was doing 100+ in a 50 and crashed into a car full of people, killing one IIRC, and putting another in a nursing home for life. He made various false statements about the incident immediately after the incident about why he was doing 100+ MPH without his lights or siren on. Not that it would have mattered much. Even doing the speed limit where he was you don't get a whole lot of time to stop when someone pulls out to make a LH turn onto the road. And the people making the LH turn can't see from there far enough to not pull out in front of someone going 100+ mph.

He was charged but like most of these cases, the system protects its own.  The state's attorney claimed they could not prosecute him because they would be representing the county in the civil case (not an unreasonable thing IMO) so the state attorney general did the prosecution. I am guessing they did not send their best and brightest.

After the debacle in court, he got his job back, with back pay too. The county did the right thing by the people who were injured, probably because the negligence was so clear. The amount they settled for exceeded their insurance coverage for a single incident and I suspect it will have to be payed out of the tort fund tax.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.