Author Topic: lawmakers propose pay cut for congress.  (Read 2019 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
lawmakers propose pay cut for congress.
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/08/lawmaker-pushes-congress-percent-pay-cut/

Yeah, I know, it's a small drop in the bucket. But it's a gesture, and I'm behind it.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

taurusowner

Re: lawmakers propose pay cut for congress.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »
If the new (R) House doesn't approve this, their credibility is going to take a massive hit.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:48:38 PM »
Congress can only make laws regarding pay that take effect in the next term - in other words a sitting Congress cannot make a law that effects its own pay rate.

Seems the desire to keep the bastiges from voting themselves a pay raise (as opposed to their presumption of returning next term to reap the benefit) will also prevent them from cutting their own pay.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 09:19:18 PM »
Congress can only make laws regarding pay that take effect in the next term - in other words a sitting Congress cannot make a law that effects its own pay rate unless they call it a "cost of living adjustment" so it's not considered a "pay raise".

Seems the desire to keep the bastiges from voting themselves a pay raise (as opposed to their presumption of returning next term to reap the benefit) will also prevent them from cutting their own pay.

stay safe.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
Them COLAs only go up.  So don't think they'll use it as the vehicle to cut their own pay.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 10:40:50 PM »
Them COLAs only go up.  So don't think they'll use it as the vehicle to cut their own pay.

stay safe.

*shrug*  They already call their annual pay raise a COLA in order to dodge the 27th Amendment. Why not just call the reduction something else as well? Excess Pay Adjustment and Redirection?

By the by, the D.C. federal court of appeals ruled that the 27th Am. does not affect COLA's, and the 10th circuit ruled that receiving said COLA doesn't give you standing to challenge said COLA's constitutionality (figure that one out). SCOTUS has not heard any cases on the matter to date.
Quote from: 27th Amendment
No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.

P5 Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »
If they all would return their paychecks then I'd say we have hope for change. ;/

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »
I would rather congress keep its salary at the present level, then fix or do the following:
--Implement a negative index on congressional pay based on the imbalance in the budget.  Budget is 20% out of whack?  Congress' pay is cut by 20% for that year. 
--Repeal automatic pay raises which congress has to specifically vote down or they get it anyway,
--Remove all exemptions from laws which congress votes for itself.
--Get rid of congress' gold plated retirement system and give'em nuttin' for service
--Do away with congress' generous healthcare system and force'em into Obamacare

These items are top of my mind.  In other words, I want congress to live in the world they create for Joe and Martha Sixpack.

Yeah, I know!  It is fun to dream.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon