Author Topic: Lifestyles of the rish, famous, and politcally connected.  (Read 3576 times)

grey54956

Lifestyles of the rish, famous, and politcally connected.
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
Interestingly, fame and power are very, very different.

If you are a movie star, maybe someone like Wesley Snipes, and you don't pay your taxes, you go to prison for three years.

If you are Representative in the house, maybe like Charlie Rangel, and you don't pay taxes for 17 years, your colleagues give you a slap on the wrist, you're allowed to keep your job, and maybe even build a library as a shrine to yourself.

If there was any justice and equality, both of these men would share a cell in the same prison.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Lifestyles of the rish, famous, and politcally connected.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:36:08 AM »
Someday I would like to be rish.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »

Given what the word means... I don't think you would.

Google 'to rish' or 'rishatra'.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Oh, right. I meant rich. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 11:38:40 AM »

You drinking again  ???

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 11:48:35 AM »
Given what the word means... I don't think you would.

Google 'to rish' or 'rishatra'.

At least spell it correctly.

In Larry Niven's Ringworld novels, rishathra is

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »
Put 'em both in jail, it would be go for their re-education. Let them share a cell. By day they could share as Rangel lectures on politics and morality, by night they could relax together by watching Wesley Snipes movies. With any luck they would engage in fatal mutual combat involving shanks made from toothbrushes within a week.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
In Larry Niven's Ringworld novels, rishathra is

Oh great, so this is actually another furry thread...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »
Oh great, so this is actually another furry thread...

I think that would be going beyond furry...
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:13:11 PM »
by night they could relax together by watching Wesley Snipes movies

Nope. Eighth amendment.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:39:26 AM by Fistful »

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:44:44 PM »
Nope. Eight amendment.

Only if the warden put it on the CCTV system.  They can buy their own DVD and watch - but thankfully the rules require headphones at all times.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 01:35:24 AM »
I thought it was  Lifestyles of the Irish, famous, and politcally connected.

BTW "politcally" is spelled politically.

I used to work with a guy from Jamaica who was super liberal, to rib him I would say "that Denzell Snipes guy is a great actor" ... he took the bait every time. :laugh:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »
What do you think would result if the courts allowed the non-prosecution of famous/connected people to be used as precedent in other cases?  Or just the non-prosecution of anyone?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »
But impeachment is not designed to prosecute criminal acts.  It is to punish folks who are convicted of committing treason and other high crimes and misdemeanors.

The failure of the House is in that they did not refer Rangel to DOJ for prosecution of the acts they confirmed (not convicted him for) he committed.  Sort of like a grand jury that finds a true bill but refuses to send it to the DA.

stay safe.