Author Topic: Smith & Weston's .410 Double Trouble Autoloader  (Read 9920 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Smith & Weston's .410 Double Trouble Autoloader
« on: November 20, 2010, 03:33:56 PM »
http://www.realguns.com/articles/275.htm

Shooting 500 grain gas checked cast bullets, .45 Colt accuracy was exceptional with groups consistently under an inch at three hundred yards. Fifty yard yammer jammers were easy to hit  :O but swinging bobcats at one hundred yards suggested just a touch of dominant eye cross parallax ventilation.  :facepalm:

Moving to the skeet range and 3" ¾ oz loads, flying vertical birdies were a snap, oscillating rollers were a challenge... which is almost always the case, but spinning flams is where the DT really shined  [ar15] where we were able to shoot a perfect 106¼. Trap shooting, however, had us hoping there was a pump action DT in S&W's future as Cheney shots are near impossible with an autoloader.

Do want!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: Smith & Weston's .410 Double Trouble Autoloader
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »
All I got was this:

Armed Polite Society restricts registrations and bans the use of @realguns.com email addresses for registration. The site also provides no contact email addresses to be used to resolve related problems. We restrict access to sites that do not welcome other firearm enthusiasts.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »
er...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »
The link failed for some reason, said "APS restricts this domain blah blah" weird.
If you delete everything but the domain you go to the main site and then you can find it on the left menu under "free access".  First available link under free access.
Looks like a bunch of photo shop tom foolery to me.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 04:12:49 PM »
Is it bad that the first thing that made me think it was complete hogwash was the bit about it coming with smooth bore barrels and I'm thinking about the possible NFA violations that would result?
Look, tiny text!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
Looks like a bunch of photo shop tom foolery to me.

Good description.

You can also copy and paste the link into a new window or tab to get to the page.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »

Who has hands big enough to wrap around that grip?

Like Jamis said: photoshop.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »
Country of origin = Grand Fenwick? (Google "The Mouse that Roared.")

Weight 116.2 ounces?

Sure!
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
Who has hands big enough to wrap around that grip?
Like Jamis said: photoshop.

A guy who doesn't have any trouble with the ladies....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 06:50:28 PM »
the bit about it coming with smooth bore barrels and I'm thinking about the possible NFA violations that would result?

Why would smooth bore barrels violate the NFA?  ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »
Why would smooth bore barrels violate the NFA?  ???

SBS.  

A smoothbore cannot be less than 18" with an oal of 26".  Rifled barrels can be 16". 

The judge gets around this by having a rifled barrel.

JD

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »
Read the article.  Company name of Smith & Weston.  Note the quotations from the head of Sales & Markup.  The pictured hammer has two spurs.  Etc.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »
It is nice to see a website that stupid that doesn't like APS, keeps the cross-pollination of stupid down.

On a serious note I have long had two ideas for a pistol shotgun that I'd like to turn out when I have the NFA paperwork and am a little farther down my gunsmithing and metalworking path. One would be a 1911'ish autoloader, I think 28ga could be made to work. The other would be a conversion top, single shot, maybe 20 or 16ga. Use the 1911 frame and fire control, maybe a break action with the pivot out just past the end of the dust cover. Why? Stupidest question ever. Because it is there.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
are we sure its not actually joke? although, why someone would put in so much effort and its really not that funny... meh...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
Shooting 500 grain gas checked cast bullets, .45 Colt accuracy was exceptional with groups consistently under an inch at three hundred yards.

Oh yeah, total BS.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
Looked up the guy who runs the site.
http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/forum/19384/Who-is-Joe-D-Alessandro-josephd-austin-rr-com-512-255-1878-from-a-company-called-Realguns-com-/Let-s-Talk-Texas-Outdoors-Back-at-Camp

i was gonna say something really mean. i thought better of it. so i will rephrase... i certainly know some people that most likely would fit in real good over at realguns, and i will make sure to send them that way and never mention APS to them...  :angel:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 08:36:42 PM »
SBS. 

A smoothbore cannot be less than 18" with an oal of 26".  Rifled barrels can be 16".

The judge gets around this by having a rifled barrel.

But it wouldn't be a shotgun, it would be a pistol. Just like a rifled barrel can't be shorter than 16", unless it's made as a pistol. Of course we are talking about gun laws which are known for not making sense to begin with.  :facepalm:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »
But it wouldn't be a shotgun, it would be a pistol. Just like a rifled barrel can't be shorter than 16", unless it's made as a pistol. Of course we are talking about gun laws which are known for not making sense to begin with.  :facepalm:

When you put a pistol grip on a shotgun, it still can't have a BBL under 18".
JD

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 11:35:16 PM »
are we sure its not actually joke? although, why someone would put in so much effort and its really not that funny... meh...

The same could be said about fistful's posts.....

Better???
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 12:23:32 AM »
Haha............ That photochopped barrel bushing is a mechanical enigma.

I wonder if the Brady/VPC pukes would take the bait and run with it?  >:D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 01:49:27 AM »
Well some years back an enterprising fellow printed out the flyer for Birdman's HomeBoy Nytesites and posted them around Richmond, VA. City council went kind of apoplectic that the gun industry was so blatantly marketing to the urban yoot.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »

Basically there is no such thing as a shotgun pistol. Either it has a rifled barrel and is a pistol or it's smoothbore and a really small SBS.
Look, tiny text!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »
Basically there is no such thing as a shotgun pistol. Either it has a rifled barrel and is a pistol or it's smoothbore and a really small SBS.

Not quite.

If it's ever been a shotgun (SBS or regular) it's always an SBS even if it's in a pistol-ish configuration.

If it wasn't ever papered as a shotgun (again, SBS or regular) and it's in a pistol-ish configuration it's an AOW.  Example: The Serbu Super Shorty  http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

Pb

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2010, 06:30:27 PM »
A smooth bore "pistol" is an Any Other Weapons (AOW) not a short barrelled shotgun.  They are nfa guns, and transfer with a $5 tax.  The Serbu Super Shorty is a good example of an AOW, as a Gigabust said.