Author Topic: How toi get access to photograph security line at an airport?  (Read 3481 times)

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
How toi get access to photograph security line at an airport?
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »
I'd like to get original photos of TSA at work for illustrating an article. Need advice on how to approach airports to make them want to help me with that.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: How toi get access to photograph security line at an airport?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:59:54 AM »
 I would first just try, iirc you're a Tennessean - find a small city airport-Reno is one but of course you are not here.

At Reno, you can get real close to everything and security is relaxed up until you go through TSA, you would be able to get all kinds of photo's though. Or maybe you know some LE who can visit with airport PD and work something out.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:09:48 AM »
I know it's a radical thought, but have you considered asking?

Technically it's verboten to photograph the searches but there seems to be exceptions being made for MSM.

Since you are also "the press" you should be able to get some camera time as well.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »
Try a FOIA request first....if that doesn't fly, then report that the gov't is hiding something and get sneaky...works for the MSM...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »
I'd like to get original photos of TSA at work for illustrating an article. Need advice on how to approach airports to make them want to help me with that.

Tell them you have noticed a lot of negative attention in the media lately and that kind of upsets you, so you want to do a story about what *really* goes on. . .
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:39:39 AM »
TV has been full of news crews (video & still) actually filming the TSA searches - and even the nekkid pictures!

Don't see why Oleg should not get permission as well.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:56:32 AM »

Replace them with your own actors.  What you do with the original TSA personnel is your business.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »
Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?
http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/03/can-i-take-photos-at-checkpoint-and.html
Unfortunately, there isn't a cookie cutter answer that can be applied to all of our screening locations and airports. It’s important to note that we know there’s a difference between someone taking a casual photo and someone doing surveillance, but if you are taking pictures at or near the checkpoint, don’t be surprised if someone (TSA, airport police, or a curious passenger) asks you what you’re up to.

We don’t prohibit public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations. You can take pictures at our checkpoints as long as you’re not interfering with the screening process or slowing things down. We also ask that you do not film or take pictures of our monitors.

However… while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might. Your best bet is to call ahead and see what that specific airport’s policy is.

I suggest you use the Got Feedback program to directly contact the Customer Support Manager at the airport you’re going to be traveling through. They will have an answer for you and if they don’t, they can connect you with somebody who does. Of course, if you’re a member of the press, you should contact the TSA Office of Public Affairs.

I’ve taken photographs in checkpoints, terminals, and on planes and I have never had an issue. I know some of you have and hopefully this information helps you a little.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »
I called two airports, got OK at one and tentative OK at another.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »
Using my usual "shoot first don't even ask questions later" technique, I've taken pictures of airport security with everything from little Olympus XA point-and-shoots to my 4x5 speed graphic. FWIW.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »
Funny how when I went to the Edward Hopper show at the East Wing,
the guards saw my Canon 40D and told me not to take any pictures,
yet the exhibit was full of people taking "snaps"with their cell phones.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 01:01:29 PM »
a 70-300mm zoom + crop sensor dSLR + 1.4-2x teleconverter = teh wins

good, heavy, tripod recommended.