Author Topic: Toilet seals  (Read 6239 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Toilet seals
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »
We can make a space shuttle airtight.  We can make water lines and fittings that handle thousands of PSI without a leak.

Why the heck can't a toilet actually seal to the sewer line?

I don't care that there's not supposed to be any pressure there.  The reality is that when the neighbor's tree roots clog the sewer line, poopy water spews out between the toilet and floor.  There's a perfectly good bathtub right next to it that the sewage could back up into without doing any real damage that a gallon of bleach and some hot water wouldn't fix, but no, the toilet seal must be weak so that it will come out onto the floor instead.

We've replaced the idiotic chunk of wax.  We've had the idiotic chunk of wax professionally replaced on the off chance that I'm not competent to replace an idiotic chunk of wax.  I've heard horror stories about the rubber-and-plastic things that are supposed to be replacing idiotic chunks of wax that lead me to believe that their design is somehow even more idiotic.  Why can't the flange and toilet simply be made well enough that a normal gasket would provide at least 10-20 PSI worth of leak resistance?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Toilet seals
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:06:06 PM »
They would have to redesign toilets and the flanges for this to work. So it would create incompatibility issues, but it would be job security for plumbers.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
They would have to redesign toilets and the flanges for this to work. So it would create incompatibility issues, but it would be job security for plumbers.

When the design is broken, redesigning it is hardly a bad thing.  Besides, where else do they ever hesitate to have two or more completely incompatible standards in common use?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
Look, tiny text!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:59:12 PM »
it shouldn't leak if the flange is mounted correctly to the floor .  most plumbers just "float" the flange it moves and it leaks
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »
Sounds like you need to put a check valve on your sewer line going out of your house.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 09:17:45 PM »
Sounds like you need to call the man to come over and run the sewer line de-rooter machine for an hour.

Then put together a three year plumbing budget that includes bi-annual visits from the man with the sewer line de-rooter machine and a pound of copper nails.
7-11 was a part time job.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
hmm, does roundup really kill roots? :angel:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »
hmm, does roundup really kill roots? :angel:

I don't know but Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate does. Also know as bluestone.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 11:04:14 PM »
The key to contact herbicide is contact time.  The drain (intruding roots) will need to be dry when the herbicide is applied, and as the herbicides water carrier evaporates, the plant absorbs the poison.

Hmmm,  Rodeo is an aquatic use broad spectrum systemic - might be worth reading the label.

Otherwise a slug of granulated glyphosphate, followed with a couple of gallons of water before a week's vacation, with a very slow trickle or a two gallon per day drip.

Call the man with the root trimmer. 
He's not as bad as you might think, and then the poop goes right away.

After you kill the intruding roots (I doubt you'll kill the entire tree) they'll have to be trimmed out anyway.  A year later they'll be back.

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 11:10:10 PM »
bought one of the electric eels off ebay for 50 bucks  plus 68 shipping  get 300 bucks for clearing a drain
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
How deep is the sewer line?  Don't they make those machines that cut lines through the dirt for burying cables?  Run one along the property line to cut the roots.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 06:24:18 AM »
How deep is the sewer line?

About 18 inches below the sprinkler system, unfortunately.
bought one of the electric eels off ebay for 50 bucks  plus 68 shipping  get 300 bucks for clearing a drain

That's a possibility.  It never fails that the clog starts on a weekend, usually during the holidays.  Drain Kings push enough through the roots that we can use the toilets for a couple more days, but don't do anything to get rid of the roots themselves.
I don't know but Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate does. Also know as bluestone.

We've been dumping it in every few months, and thinking about just buying it in bulk, but it doesn't seem to be keeping up.  OTOH, I cleaned out the shower that we don't use very often with something over a quart of muriatic acid, and heard the sewer line suddenly let go as I was rinsing.  Don't know if it actually dealt with the roots in a matter of minutes, or just dissolved everything that was caught in them, but it's something to keep in mind.

Sounds like you need to put a check valve on your sewer line going out of your house.

Gee, there's a thought.  IMO, it should be standard on any waste system, for the obvious reasons.  Last I looked, 4" check valves weren't even that expensive.  OTOH, it doesn't really help with the situation where nothing can go out, and backs up from inside.

This is what you need
http://www.turnasure.com/images/p-pipeflange-1.jpg

Don't tempt me; one of the clients makes that type of flange.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:16:27 AM »
Don't plumbers have root-cutting heads on their snakes?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:29:33 AM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:33 AM »
Sounds to me like you need to get to the root of the problem  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
My father kept a 4 story tall weeping willow just 20' from our house at bay by putting the copper sulfate crystals in a nylon stocking, tying it off, and then hooking it to the inside of the main soil stack clean-out connection.

I don't think it'll totally solve the problem, but it will provide a constant low level of control.

Also, as to the toilet seals, how high is the floor vs. the flange?

I had a bathroom with five layers of flooring above the original sub-floor boards, the previous owner's solution was just to slam down two wax rings.  ;/

I wound up ripping out vinyl, luan, self-adhesive vinyl tiles, leveling compound, and the final original layer of linoleum and tar paper.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »
Don't plumbers have root-cutting heads on their snakes?

Yes, but they charge money to come out, and want even more money to just hang out in the back yard all year waiting for a clog to happen.
This is interesting

http://www.askthebuilder.com/B326_Avoiding_Sewer_Back_Ups_From_Tree_Roots.shtml

Very, but I'm wondering if it will kill the grass to do it to a line that's only 3 feet down.

Might risk it anyway; grass is nice, but poop leaving the house is nicer.
My father kept a 4 story tall weeping willow just 20' from our house at bay by putting the copper sulfate crystals in a nylon stocking, tying it off, and then hooking it to the inside of the main soil stack clean-out connection.

That might work; we know the roots start within 5 feet of the cleanout, so that would get it pretty close to the problem.

Also, as to the toilet seals, how high is the floor vs. the flange?

Part of the issue might be that we're still on bare concrete in there after ripping out the original carpet (what demented freak puts deep shag carpet in a bathroom?) the first time it backed up on us.  We want to tile it, but we'd like to make sure the clog problem is gone first.  We do still have tack strips under the toilet to keep it at pretty much the same height it was with the carpet, but without knowing what the original floor was, (carpet couldn't have been more than a couple years old, and the house is nearly 40 years old) it's hard to say how high it should be above the concrete.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »
The apartment I live in now burned out about a year ago and when they re did it all they carpeted every room except the laundry room and the kitchen they completely carpeted the bathroom floor. Beyond stupid.
Look, tiny text!

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 12:21:09 AM »
The apartment I live in now burned out about a year ago and when they re did it all they carpeted every room except the laundry room and the kitchen they completely carpeted the bathroom floor. Beyond stupid.

And beyond health code  :'(

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »

Eeewwwww.....

Carpet in general is fail. Carpet in the throne room is like triple the fail...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 01:48:46 AM »
is the toilet flange secured to the concrete?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:03 AM »
And beyond health code  :'(

Depends upon the municipality. Where I live rentals can not have carpet in the bathroom but private homes can. The neighboring town doesn't have any code in regards to carpet in bathrooms, rental or private.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »
I'm not sure what section of code this place would fall under as the first floor is used as an office by the lawyer who owns the building, the second floor contains my apartment. There is even a neat trap door that leads to stairs down to the first floor in one room.

I'm also pretty sure the city doesn't really know he is renting the upstairs as an apartment.
Look, tiny text!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »
I don't care that there's not supposed to be any pressure there.  The reality is that when the neighbor's tree roots clog the sewer line, poopy water spews out between the toilet and floor.

Step one, call neighbor's insurance company and file a claim...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB