Author Topic: Sarah Palin shoots back at criticism of her North Korea blunder  (Read 8796 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Sarah Palin shoots back at criticism of her North Korea blunder
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:43:52 AM »
As most here have no doubt read (and read and read and read), Sarah Palin accidentally referred to North Korea rather than South Korea as our ally in one sentence in an interview on Glen Beck's show. It was a normal slip of the tongue, and she corrected the mistake right away.

No matter. The MSM were all over it.

On her Facebook page, she shot back at the media with an amalgam of Obama blunders. It certainly does the job. You can read it here.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Sarah Palin shoots back at criticism of her North Korea blunder
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:29:21 AM »
yeah, I was watching when she made the slip, & didn't think anything of it.
Hard to believe the zeal in which they go after her-freaking amazing.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:16:05 AM »
First, you assume that she even wrote the Facebook post herself. Many stars/celebrities/politicians use writers to take care of that.
Second, even if it is her....she says stupid *expletive deleted*it all the time.  She's only more polished when she has time to research the answer.
I agree that Obama did exactly the same thing, over and over again, and got a free pass.  But it doesn't diminish the fact that Palin quite often has no idea what she is talking about.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
But it doesn't diminish the fact that Palin quite often has no idea what she is talking about.
Maybe so, but I draw your attention to how Palin dealt with the media and compare that with how a Bull RINO, none other than His Majesty Senator Trent Lott, responded to criticism of his public utterances regarding Strom Thurmond.  Palin shoved it right back into the media's face.  Lott sniveled simpered, groveled and it did him no good. 

Palin may well be unelectable, an assessment I share, but I've seen only one other politician match her ability to simply bypass establishment media and communicate directly with Joe and Martha Sixpack and that would be Ronald Reagan.  At the end of the day that one ability may be the reason for the spread Palin Derangement Syndrome.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:59:05 AM »
Ah, but Ronnie knew what he was talking about.  I still think Palin is in over her head if she goes after the Oval office.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:36 AM »
JamisJockey, I've been listening to what Palin has been saying since the 2008 elections, just to gauge whether she's making progress or not. She's becoming more fluent on the issues. I'm not saying she's ready now to step into office but, by 2012, she could be well-versed enough on the issues that even you would consider supporting her.

Well, maybe. ;)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
If she got the nomination somehow, I'd certainly pull the lever for her. And I agree, much of the "airhead" is just typical leftist-MSM fabrication.  And the point that her abortive governor's career was more executive experience than a "community organizer's" and a legislator who voted "present" more than anything else is not lost on me.

I'd still prefer she not be POTUS though.

Despite the reasoning, quitting the AK governorship does not bode well with me. I reject the premise being the constant malicious ethics complaints, money, and legal hassles. Some who have unquestioning love for her say that the POTUS has much more legal immunity and won't be an issue. However, they're missing the point.

The point is that it's often called "The hardest job in the world". And it does not matter in my mind where the hassle and the stress comes from. Whether the real reasons were money for books and speaking, or a political calculation to not miss out on time raising her national presence, the point is with me, she folded.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I'd rather see her as head of the national GOP and a replacement for Michael Steele than POTUS or VPOTUS.

I give most politicians a pass (heck, I'd even give Biden one) for a slight mixup between NK/SK, about as well as I give them a pass for a mixup between two States that neighbor each other.  Especially if they correct themselves within a handful of seconds right away, and the blunder was made while actually talking and dialoging rather than reading from TOTUS.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:48:56 AM »
I too like the idea as her as the head of the GOP.

It would certainly give her great status as a political bullet-magnet for the left's ire. I thought of mentioning it, but I just don't see her being able to do the job living bi-costal, or even just leaving AK to do it.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
. . . Despite the reasoning, quitting the AK governorship does not bode well with me.
I'd rather see her as head of the national GOP and a replacement for Michael Steele than POTUS or VPOTUS.
I find I generally agree with both statements. Six months from now, if she's "IN" and Steele is "OUT" . . . it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him become a Democrat functionary.

As far as potential GOP Presidential contenders for the 2012 election, I see there's some speculation that John Bolton is considering a run for the office. We could do far worse. (Look at the current POTUS . . . we already have done far worse.  =(  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »
John Bolton would be a sharp man to put up there, but would he make a better Sec of State at this point? 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
First, you assume that she even wrote the Facebook post herself. Many stars/celebrities/politicians use writers to take care of that.
Second, even if it is her....she says stupid *expletive deleted* all the time.  She's only more polished when she has time to research the answer.
I agree that Obama did exactly the same thing, over and over again, and got a free pass.  But it doesn't diminish the fact that Palin quite often has no idea what she is talking about.

If you want to be completely honest though, you have to admit that just about every politician is that way and many of them make much more serious gaffs than Palin has on a regular basis.  Houston's own Sheila Jackson Lee is a prime example.  Joe Biden is another.

I guess I look at it this way.  If I or some other regular guy was put in the spot light with the media out to get me, they could probably make me look like an idiot a-hole in the minds of some people pretty easily.  I tend to overlook a lot of things with some politicians simply because I hate that someone has to groom their entire childhood and young adult life toward politics so they can maintain a spotless record and be endlessly informed.  I would much rather trust a regular guy who is honest than someone who has the personal ambition to steer their entire life toward running for office. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:44:33 AM »
You know, I had a bit of an epiphany this morning as I was reading this:  I think I might have figured out at least part of the left's Palin Derangement Syndrome.

They're terrified.  Bugnuts, crapping their pants, scared to death terrified. Of what you might ask?  They're scared that she might become the first female POTUS.  While they're scared of her policies, her positions, her ideas, what really frightens the crap outta them is the fact that if she becomes the first female POTUS, that position is lost to them. Not of a female POTUS, but of the FIRST female POTUS.  It's a status thing.  They genuinely believe that the first female POTUS should be a properly trained liberal feminist type.  An "empowered" woman who got there by standing up to mysogynists and conservatives and doing it all in the name of womanly power.   And they're afraid that Sarah Palin might just take that away from them.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
I find I generally agree with both statements. Six months from now, if she's "IN" and Steele is "OUT" . . . it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him become a Democrat functionary.

As far as potential GOP Presidential contenders for the 2012 election, I see there's some speculation that John Bolton is considering a run for the office. We could do far worse. (Look at the current POTUS . . . we already have done far worse.  =(  )

I agree with all this. I really Like Sarah Palin and the way she draws the line and fights back instead of whimpering apologies. Especially calling out the criticizers on stuff like the Korea thing with all the dumb stuff Obama has said (also most being simple misstatements, which if you're on the record all day, anyone is going to make). I just don't think that given her baggage, a WH bid is in order. I may change my mind in a year.

I also really like John Bolton. I would be happy to see him in any Republican Administration roll in 2012.

I don't like any of the "main" Republican contenders for the 2012 White House bid. Romney? Huckabee? Really? That's the best we can do? I would much rather see Jindal or Christie (I know his view on the 2nd needs work) out there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 11:07:19 AM »
Ah, but Ronnie knew what he was talking about.  I still think Palin is in over her head if she goes after the Oval office.
The biggest difference to me is that Ronnie had several years as a Governor under his belt instead of just a couple.  However, didn't everyone say Ronnie didn't know what he was talking about and that he was stupid and everyone told him what to do?  

I think if you look back at all the Republican leaders that were labeled "conservative", just about every one of them from Ronnie on were criticized as stupid in one way or another.  I think it is just a common theme the left uses.  They certainly trotted out that theme as fast as they could once she was chosen as the VP candidate.  

I would vote for her if she made it to the election, but she needs to show she can overcome the negatives against her as well as the resigning thing.  I personally think she could beat Obama, but I'm not sure about others.  

All that said, I am not so sure the next Republican POTUS candidate will be one of the big names thrown about right now.  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:11:17 AM by MechAg94 »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 11:37:29 AM »
Well, the so called smart guys, who always have an enlightened answer or actually a convaluted non answer to any question, have been elected to every office we have, including POTUS.  A cursory look at the record put together by the smart guys, and the condition we've allowed America to be in because of them, wants me to support anybody but a smart guy for public office.  How could it be any worse to hire someone like Mrs. Palin who at least has a vision for America closer to what the founders wanted than hiring one who either on purpose or by accident or in ignorance believes in the principals of Karl Marx? 

Bill Buckley said it best:  "I'd rather be governed by the first 1000 people in the Boston phone book than by the Dons of Harvard University."  I'll second that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
The biggest difference to me is that Ronnie had several years as a Governor under his belt instead of just a couple.  However, didn't everyone say Ronnie didn't know what he was talking about and that he was stupid and everyone told him what to do?  

I think if you look back at all the Republican leaders that were labeled "conservative", just about every one of them from Ronnie on were criticized as stupid in one way or another.  I think it is just a common theme the left uses.  They certainly trotted out that theme as fast as they could once she was chosen as the VP candidate.  

I would vote for her if she made it to the election, but she needs to show she can overcome the negatives against her as well as the resigning thing.  I personally think she could beat Obama, but I'm not sure about others.  

All that said, I am not so sure the next Republican POTUS candidate will be one of the big names thrown about right now.  

My point is that I've yet to hear a clip of Ronnie saying something so stupid. 

As for Palin, I'm not even sure that she has ambitions to the WH.  She's becoming a king maker for the (R) party, and that can be a very powerful position to be in without being the King.

Oh, and I think Ambluancedriver hit the nail with his assessment of the lefts hatred of her.
JD

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »
You know, I had a bit of an epiphany this morning as I was reading this:  I think I might have figured out at least part of the left's Palin Derangement Syndrome.

PDS is not necessarily limited to the left.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 12:20:40 PM »
My point is that I've yet to hear a clip of Ronnie saying something so stupid.  

Every word ever said wasn't being recorded 30 years ago.

I'm not saying he did missay something, but given that humans are prone to make mis-statements at times, I'm willing to be he did.

Edit: Found one:

"We are trying to get unemployment to go up, and I think we're going to succeed"

That's of the same cloth as this Palin misspeak.

http://www.slipups.com/items/6451.html
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:27:25 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 12:33:20 PM »
Nice find. 
JD

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
I remember a big "misstatement" that Reagan made.

It was 1985 and Bruce Springsteen had just released "Born in the USA". Reagan tried to score some points with younger people by saying, "America's future rests in a thousand dreams inside your hearts; it rests in the message of hope in songs so many young Americans admire: New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen. And helping you make those dreams come true is what this job of mine is all about."

It was actually George Will who misread Springsteen's politics, and pushed the idea of Reagan commenting on the album. But Reagan came off looking like a fool.

As for Palin, she corrected her misstatement quickly.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 12:57:34 PM »
I too like the idea as her as the head of the GOP.

It would certainly give her great status as a political bullet-magnet for the left's ire. I thought of mentioning it, but I just don't see her being able to do the job living bi-costal, or even just leaving AK to do it.
i say it's time we move all fedgov offices(and the sticking UN[things stink less when there cold. >:D]) too AK.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »
Isn't it funny (and sad), that every thread about Palin turns into the same old argument about her intelligence, and wether she should/could/will be President? I think at this point, she needs to declare against a presidential run, just to clear the field for better candidates.

I agree that Obama did exactly the same thing, over and over again, and got a free pass.  But it doesn't diminish the fact that Palin quite often has no idea what she is talking about.

Please tell me you're not taking this North/South Korea mistake as anything other than a slip of the tongue.

Despite the reasoning, quitting the AK governorship does not bode well with me. I reject the premise being the constant malicious ethics complaints, money, and legal hassles. Some who have unquestioning love for her say that the POTUS has much more legal immunity and won't be an issue. However, they're missing the point.

The point is that it's often called "The hardest job in the world". And it does not matter in my mind where the hassle and the stress comes from. Whether the real reasons were money for books and speaking, or a political calculation to not miss out on time raising her national presence, the point is with me, she folded.

Too many people have this silly hang-up about quitting things. Why? Why would Palin remain in Alaska, when she has more important matters to attend to, on the national level? What sense would it have made to stay there?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:50:22 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton