Author Topic: Incoming Republicans Will be Sleeping in Their Offices  (Read 6759 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Incoming Republicans Will be Sleeping in Their Offices
« on: November 30, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »
I found this an interesting demonstration of fiscal responsibility. Apparently it was common in the past, but Tip O'Neill put an end to it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703559504575630661395762460.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Incoming Republicans Will be Sleeping in Their Offices
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:44:35 AM »
I found this an interesting demonstration of fiscal responsibility. Apparently it was common in the past, but Tip O'Neill put an end to it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703559504575630661395762460.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond

Bravo. I want congressman who don't think of DC as "home". I could care less about the fiscal responsibility part.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:46 AM »
I think it's well intentioned, but misguided.

I'd just as soon see barracks for congressmen.  535 of them, each being a ~400-500sqft studio apartment... Each with a small 3/4 bathroom, two burner stove, 1/2 height fridge kitchenette.  No maid service, no provided furniture, they pay the utility bills for it.  Something just a bit of a step up from a dorm room.  Something with enough privacy that the missus can come stay for the week.

Offices are not for sleeping in.  Especially for long term.

Even business owners that sleep in their workplace have a separate room or suite of rooms that serve as a bedroom or home.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
Given the state of things, it's hard to condemn a gesture as too extreme. Still, even a non-career politician should be trying for two or three terms in the House. Four to six years is a long time to be sleeping in the office.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
I'd just as soon see barracks for congressmen.  535 of them, each being a ~400-500sqft studio apartment... Each with a small 3/4 bathroom, two burner stove, 1/2 height fridge kitchenette.  No maid service, no provided furniture, they pay the utility bills for it.  Something just a bit of a step up from a dorm room.  Something with enough privacy that the missus can come stay for the week.

I agree, and everyone gets the same sized digs, doesn't matter if your the Speaker of the House or a member of the chamber pot committee.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »
Ex-Senator Hillary seems to have acquired a nice mansion on embassy row in addition to Bill's mansion in New York.

I would bet the SS is paying rent to watch the DC place as Bill prolly visits there too.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »

I'd go for something a bit more like the one-bedroom apartment we had for a while; if someone's dropping by with some paperwork or whatever, it's nice to be able to close the bedroom door...especially if it's when the missus is staying over.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:07:39 PM »
Even business owners that sleep in their workplace have a separate room or suite of rooms that serve as a bedroom or home.

I perhaps wrongly assumed that this would be how congressional offices are setup -- with a separate area for the few times throughout the year when sessions run long and the rep wants to spend the night. I had assumed these reps were turning this "once in a while" setup into something more permanent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 07:23:42 AM »
I don't get it. Aren't Congressmen all usually very wealthy individuals, in addition to their $174k salaries?

Couldn't they just rent or buy something with those?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
I don't get it. Aren't Congressmen all usually very wealthy individuals, in addition to their $174k salaries?

I think for most of them, the wealth comes after they've been in office a while.. =|
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »

Sergeant Bob has it.

Congressmen are protected from insider trading repercussions, even though they draft and make laws that pertain to major industries and stock market regulations.  They also have a better "inside" look at what's likely to pass or not pass the Congress and wind up on the President's desk, though the rest of the investing market does not.

$50K in the hands of a Congressman can become millions very quickly in a couple of terms of office.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 05:09:28 PM »
What bedding arrangements are made for interns?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 02:16:35 AM »
What bedding arrangements are made for interns?

I thought they "slept" under the desks...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 07:56:12 AM »
I agree, and everyone gets the same sized digs, doesn't matter if your the Speaker of the House or a member of the chamber pot committee.
I ROFL'd Charby: picture Saint Pelosi living that way.

I do like the congressional barracks idea though...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 11:55:26 AM »
I do like the congressional cell block idea though...

FIFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
I thought they "slept" under the desks...

I thought they slept in coffins filled with dirt from their homeland ......  >:D [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 05:59:38 PM »
That's just folklore, Tommy.

They DO tend to avoid garlic and sharp pieces of wood though...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »
I ROFL'd Charby: picture Saint Pelosi living that way.

I do like the congressional barracks idea though...

TC

I wonder how long it will take for her to recover from her first commerical flight next year.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 06:32:12 PM »
I thought they slept in coffins filled with dirt from their homeland ......  >:D [tinfoil]

Win.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »
Meh, the circus isn't as entertaining as it used to be. And I'm not getting any bread since I made the cardinal sin of working and being productive so this Congress has little to offer me. Makes me think the Romans had the right idea, just need to replace slaves with Senators.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 01:50:30 PM »

Didn't Bram Stoker do a story about them? =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
They DO tend to avoid garlic and sharp pieces of wood though...

The handy thing about a stake through the heart is that it pretty much works on non-vampires, too.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.