Author Topic: Will GWB Please Go Away  (Read 10541 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Will GWB Please Go Away
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2010, 11:48:40 PM »
But jumping up and down on Bush's head is what gives you conservative street cred. Ain't you know?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2010, 12:09:09 AM »
I must be living on a different street.

:lol:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2010, 08:08:14 AM »
roo_ster,

Your previous post started out with a cryptic comment about GWB-boosters and reverence. It was not immediately clear (or even eventually clear) that you were talking about some business at the National Review, rather than this thread. At first, I thought you were accusing some here of revering and "boosting" GWB, for our comments in protest of excessive Bush-bashing.

I don't know if that's what prompted HTG's reply, but if so you might want to take some of the blame.

If you had mashed the link I provided, you would not have made that mistake.

This new policy of not quoting much from the article requires a little more effort from readers to keep up.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
If you had mashed the link I provided, you would not have made that mistake.

This new policy of not quoting much from the article requires a little more effort from readers to keep up.

No. The mistake was your putting the link below your comments about it. Personally, I was only confused until I saw the link, and realized you were ranting about something I (and probably most of us) hadn't seen yet. Maybe next time introduce the subject before commenting on it. A "little more effort," if you will.  :P

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2010, 11:15:22 AM »
No. The mistake was your putting the link below your comments about it. Personally, I was only confused until I saw the link, and realized you were ranting about something I (and probably most of us) hadn't seen yet. Maybe next time introduce the subject before commenting on it. A "little more effort," if you will.  :P

Meh, RIF.  My post was more pulp fiction and less Umberto Eco, level of difficulty-wise.

To that end, I explicitly referred to "to the author's curt dismissal"* (no italics in original) and kept things in chronological order* as they occurred, if not fMS (fistful Manual of Style). 

Also, I don't think I have made it a habit to refer to myself in the third person* or the royal "we."  When I write about myself, it is almost invariably in the first person.

And that is just the first sentence.  If one were to, maybe,  actually read the entirety of the post, it is about as clear as can be without providing crib sheet or a native guide.

* Context Clues: Not just for grade school.  http://wserver.scc.losrios.edu/~langlit/reading/contextclues/intro1.htm
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
Oh for crying out loud. Please do not worry yourself that I personally misunderstood your post. I did indeed read far enough down to see that you were linking to something else. I merely pointed out that - no, forget it.  ;/