Author Topic: 86% of Americans "tired of having a country".  (Read 1938 times)

Art Eatman

• friend
86% of Americans "tired of having a country".
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 06:56:00 AM »
Sounds like too many people identify country with government, for one thing.  Then, figure how many expect goodies to flow from government, and they don't realize that society is always a two-way street--or it doesn't work.  There is way too much of, 'Let's you and him...":  Clean up the environment, conserve energy, fight the wars, but not me, not me, not me.  They don't call it the "Me!" generation for no reason.

The national penchant for instant gratification in all things is strongly contributory, IMO.

I think Tom Lehrer's comment from some 50 years back applies:  "Life is like a sewer.  What you get out of it depends on what you put into it."

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 07:09:26 AM »
Art, did you notice the source....?  Wink

Seriously though, IMO we are overdue for a Third American Revolution.  Most likely would be a USSR style implosion and independent states or regional confederacies of states.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 07:19:34 AM »
Texas would be a nation again.  

And there'd be some type of Somalian warlord system for those who grew weary of the current form of government.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 07:28:44 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
Texas would be a nation again.  

And there'd be some type of Somalian warlord system for those who grew weary of the current form of government.  Wink
I guess this Iowegian would become a Texan then.

I do quite a bit of community involvement activities though the Jaycees and always trying to recruit others to be part of it and it really hard to find people to get involved in the community. Most people answers are I don't have enough time (singles that work a 40 hr week job) or you have "God" in your creed and I can't be part of an organization like that.

You can a see a decline of membership in a lot of groups that give back to the community, people bitch and bitch about problems but very few step up to correct the problem.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:45:16 AM »
Yeah, unless Florida did something useful, I'd have to emigrate to the Nation of Texas, too.  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 10:28:13 AM »
I'd think Alaska would go it alone before Texas. Then, they could authorize privateers against the Canadians.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.