Author Topic: Amtrak - good or bad experiences?  (Read 7493 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Amtrak - good or bad experiences?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
You get to be pretty good friends with the train crew and some of the steady passengers, especially the ones who get off at your stop.

very true   
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 02:25:55 PM »
Took Amtrak from White Sulphur Springs, WV (the Greenbrier) to NYC last winter.Went up for son's wedding. Cheaper than flying and no TSA! Train actually gave us a stretch break in Charlottesville, VA because they were ahead of schedule. White Sulphur is about an hour's drive from home. Penn Sta was a block from the hotel.  Took a small cooler w/ snacks & pop. Seats a helleva better than last chance airlines.

Downside: Freakin' snowstorm slammed east coast. Only escape from NY was rent a car on Sunday. Drive back really wasn't too bad, except listening to SWMBO "I'm NEVER going back to New York" over & over.

Storm a wk later left her stranded on WV Turnpike 4 miles from home for several hrs.

Bob

"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

thebaldguy

• friends
Re: Amtrak - good or bad experiences? UPDATED!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
This was the honeymoon train trip from hell that only got us partway there on a train.

Our train left Minnesota over four hours late. Our Empire Buider train was held up for 4+ hours because a west coast Starlight train was late and they waited for hours for those passengers to get to Seattle. We called, but they refused to hold our train for us one hour in Chicago. We got to Chicago one hour after our train to New Orleans left. We then spent two and a half hours arguing with customer service in Chicago. Their first offer was to put us up in a hotel for the night, and put us on the next train the next day, but they wouldn't guarantee us a sleeper compartment. They wouldn't even reserve one for us on the next train! There was no way we would accept this. We were not riding coach for 20+ hours. They then finally agreed to put us up in a hotel, gave us $90 for food and cab fares, and got us tickets on a plane the next day. We had a great time in New Orleans, and tomorrow we call Amtrak customer service to see if we can work out a deal for a refund of some sort (they told us in Chicago that they couldn't help us with that). If that fails, we go to the credit card company, but we want to do the right thing and make an effort to work with Amtrak.

The honeymoon was great! The Prince Conti hotel was nice, the food and drink everywhere was great. The weather was awesome compared to Minnesota. All the locals were super nice and happy to see you.

There is no city like the city of New Orleans. Go there and check it out.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
Sorry about the hassles; glad you enjoyed the honeymoon. I've been toying with the idea of Amtrak from Dallas to California to visit family. Your experience is reinforcing my skepticism.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »
SADShooter:

I think that making an Amtrak connection can be a problem. If you have a straight trip without changing trains, you may have much better luck. Besides the problems, I did find the train to be pretty comfortable. The ride was actually pretty quiet and smooth. The train did hit 80 mph per a GPS a few times. Our roomette sleeper to Chicago was comfy and my wife took a nap on the upper bunk for a bit.

Our one meal on the train was pretty good. To be honest, the service was good. Our sleeping car attendent gave us a few small bottles of champaigne, and some extra snacks when the dining car had closed for the trip. I did tip him ten bucks.