Author Topic: Signs you're a bachelor...  (Read 29074 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Signs you're a bachelor...
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »
Do I have go into my "Don't you ever say 'Happy Memorial Day' to anyone ever again !!"  rant ??
I just goggled "Happy Memorial Day" (with the quotes) and got 1.5 million hits  :facepalm:
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
I just goggled "Happy Memorial Day" (with the quotes) and got 1.5 million hits  :facepalm:

Last time I goggled anything some smartass put ink on the eyepieces.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2010, 07:10:30 PM »
Okay, you asked for it.  It only ranks above "Jury of your peers" on my pet-peeve-scale.

Several years ago, we were coming back from the American Legion Hall on Memorial Day.  I was in AL uniform having served in the firing detail at the local cemetery.  We had gone into the local Stop&Rob for one thing or another (which put me in bad mood to begin with) and at the check-out the Miss TeenAmerica wannabe at the register wished me a "Happy Memorial Day"

And I unloaded on her, I didn't yell or raise my voice but said it through tightly clenched teeth:

There is one NOT g-ddamned thing *expletive deleted* "Happy" about Memorial Day.  Everyone in this country that isn't in uniform honoring our war dead had damn well be better dressed in black mourning clothes.   I just got back from [ local town] cemetery where we paid our respects and begged G-d to care for those 327 mostly 18-20 year old kids who died in mud filled trenches, freezing European forests,  crappy little dots of islands, hot shitty jungles or some G-d forsaken desert.  They died horrible, agonizing deaths all so you could go to the mall and shop without having worry about whether you were in the whites or blacks section, to show your papieren, bitte or do it in *expletive deleted* Japanese to buy worthless *expletive deleted* rancid Russian bread and worry about being shot as a spy on your way home.  Those people gave you their everything for what you have today.  Look around and ask if you want for anything, because I know those poor bastards would feel cheated if you did.  If you saw Saving Private Ryan, then you probably missed the single most important *expletive deleted* lesson of that entire movie.   Remember that cemetery ?  There are about 2 dozen in Europe, there's another big one on Oahu in Hawaii.  There are quite few here in the US from the Revoluntionary War on, and every American's knees should become weak and tears should flow when they visit those places on Memorial Day.   Because there's no *expletive deleted* way any of us have "Earned This".

[/RANT]

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:59:20 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2010, 02:44:05 AM »
Ok... that makes sense. I might have to steal that rant...

So what's wrong with "jury of your peers"?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2010, 05:55:51 AM »

There are certain straight lines that should not be responded to.

But then, by asking, you demonstrate that they may well be your peers.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2010, 01:48:52 PM »

You have no right to one.

And you don't get one.  

The US Constitution clearly states in Art I, Section 9:
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States:
  Therefore, unlike Great Britain, there is no peerage system in the US.   Jury of your peers is British jurisprudence.  That way the rabble and peasants can't sit in judgment of their betters (Dukes, Earls, Barons, Princes etc.).  

What you are entitled to is an impartial jury.
Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
bolding mine.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:25:33 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2010, 03:17:26 PM »
And here I was, hoping to get you riled up again... :P

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »
Things like "Happy Memorial Day" rile me up. 

"Jury of peers" is more like fingernails across a chalkboard irritating.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
Huh, I love being married. I can't think of anything I'd hate worse than being a bachelor again.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
Hmmm... lemmie think about this for a sec...

Spoon's beautiful, shoots, rides, enjoys most of the same books and movies I do, and cooks well.

Yeah... I think I'll stay married... :P

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »
That's great. I have nothing but admiration and well-wishes for people who've found their life partner. Some of us are destined to be on the outside looking in. Some enjoy it, and the rest of us need to learn to cope.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2010, 05:20:04 PM »
The US Constitution clearly states in Art I, Section 9:    Therefore, unlike Great Britain, there is no peerage system in the US.   Jury of your peers is British jurisprudence.  That way the rabble and peasants can't sit in judgment of their betters (Dukes, Earls, Barons, Princes etc.).  
What you are entitled to is an impartial jury. bolding mine.

Meh. Lacking a class system, all citizens are peers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2010, 05:36:05 PM »
That's great. I have nothing but admiration and well-wishes for people who've found their life partner. Some of us are destined to be on the outside looking in. Some enjoy it, and the rest of us need to learn to cope.

My sympathies.

I guess if it helps, think about the people who have that "life partner" but it's falling apart, or it's the "American Beauty"/quiet desperation-thing..

I remember the pain of being lonely in my teens and early twenties. Although from the other side, when things are something less than pure bliss, even just the potential to try again looks really good.
I promise not to duck.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »
Thanks. No sympathy required. I'm not bitter or jealous. (Not enough to matter, anyway.) I just don't see another relationship in my future.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »
Thanks. No sympathy required. I'm not bitter or jealous. (Not enough to matter, anyway.) I just don't see another relationship in my future.

you don't hear/see the bullet that gets you >:D :facepalm:  i know i didn't
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2010, 07:51:08 PM »
To C&SD you listen! Wisdom, he speaks!

• friends
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2010, 07:57:51 PM »
wife 2.2?  we were friends for years and i was the last person to know she had determined i was to be slaughtered.  my roomates knew   my boss knew  all my coworkers knew  heck my girlfriend knew  she told me i was gonna end up married to mary.  i was so clueless she hada club me over the head and drag me back to her cave. i didn't resist much after the clubbing
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
Fair enough. I'm still exiting the smoke plume of the bridge that got blown to hell behind me. I'll cross the next one if/when I reach it. Meantime, I keep the seat up and an 8-roll pack of tp lasts me a long time. Not good or bad, just how it is.

• friends
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2010, 08:48:18 PM »
wife one cost me 80k and everything i owned plus a year in jail   it was worth it to escape   i got over it  took 13 years but they went quick

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2010, 10:41:19 PM »
wife one cost me 80k and everything i owned plus a year in jail   it was worth it to escape   i got over it  took 13 years but they went quick

You know, every time I hear things like this, it makes me realize just how lucky I got.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:26 PM »
Huh, I love being married. I can't think of anything I'd hate worse than being a bachelor again.

That's what I said.  Then my spouse demonstrated that there are in fact many things I hate worse than being a bachelor single mom, and he inflicted several of them upon me.  =|

Marriage is awesome.  Bad marriage, it is teh suck. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:21 PM »
To help veer the thread more, I look around me and see significant evidence I'm not a bachelor (not including the tiny girl asleep in my non-typing arm.)

Five picture frames in immediate view.

9 paintings on the wall.

Tablecloth on both the coffee table and dining room table.

Cupboard full of china and crystal.

Two living plants.

Weird woven owl creature hanging on the wall.

Throw pillows and afghan on the couch.

Six candle holders/stands.

And I could go on. (Just saw two more candle holders after already increasing the above from four to six.)

I'd never do any of that- I'm utilitarian. I don't mind any of it, though. I'm glad my wife enoys it.

(Edit: as my wife read this she pointed out more than a dozen candle holders I missed.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:55:46 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2010, 11:55:08 PM »
9 paintings on the wall.

Two living plants.

I had about 45-50 plants in my house when I was a bachelor. When I got married they whittled down to a couple I have left.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »
I have one living plant, an aloe vera that my brother left here after he moved out.

The only reason it's not dead is because it's unkillable.  It hasn't received any water besides the moisture out of the air for well over a year now, it was chopped off at the stem and thrown in the trash because it didn't take to replanting in a larger pot (it kept falling over because the roots didn't anchor it for some reason), and the stem sprouted and is growing again. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the part thrown in the trash is thriving at the dump. 

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2010, 12:52:44 AM »
I had about 45-50 plants in my house when I was a bachelor. When I got married they whittled down to a couple I have left.

Dude. Don't talk about your pot plantation on a public forum.  :P