Main Forums > The Roundtable

Ronald Reagan: Dunce and Policy Wonk

<< < (2/2)

HankB:

--- Quote from: TommyGunn on December 06, 2010, 11:36:25 PM ---While Reagan had his flaws (as we all do) I will always remember him fondly as the best president this country has had in my lifetime.  
--- End quote ---
I don't remember Reagan as walking on water (the way some in the GOP seem to) and recognize that he made mistakes. But so far, the only time I voted for a Presidential candidate - as opposed to voting against the greater evil - was when Reagan was on the ballot.

It's a sad commentary on the state of our country that we've come to this in the 21st Century, when as a much smaller nation we were able to find leaders and statesmen like Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt (the first one), and a few others.

As for Nixon . . . though he was a deeply flawed POTUS, he did end both US involvement in Vietnam and the draft shortly before I became eligible; I'll forgive him a lot for that.

Monkeyleg:

--- Quote ---As for Nixon . . . though he was a deeply flawed POTUS, he did end US both involvement in Vietnam and the draft shortly before I became eligible; I'll forgive him a lot for that.
--- End quote ---

An end that wasn't handled well, although don't ask me how I'd do it better.

Dannyboy:

--- Quote ---Reagan, In His Own Hand
http://www.amazon.com/Reagan-His-Own-Hand-Revolutionary/dp/074320123X
--- End quote ---

Excellent book.  Lots of interesting stuff.

Chuck Dye:
All of the above not withstanding, I am still stuck with the most popular reaction to the Reagan-Brown race when I was in high school,  "Brown out, vote Reagan."

Have I mentioned I like double entendres?

Oh, and for the record and from a recorded interview with the man himself,  the pronunciation is ree g'n.  Himself said he did not know where ray gun came from, but it was perfectly fine with him in the any publicity sort of way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version