Author Topic: Palin derangement syndrome + anti-hunting attitude = fruitcake  (Read 9175 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Palin derangement syndrome + anti-hunting attitude = fruitcake
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2011, 12:00:28 AM »
No they were somewhere where they were pretty damn sure that there was no one for miles near where they were hunting.

If you've ever been to Alaska and left the Anchorage area you'll now what it means.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2011, 12:22:22 AM »
Dumb, non-hunter question:

I'm all for checking backstops, but how can hunters ever be all that certain there's no one downrange, when they're in the middle of the woods? How can they be certain, when the area behind one's target is gob-smackingly vast?

This is not a defense of Palin. Just a question from a non-hunter.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »

I'm all for checking backstops, but how can hunters ever be all that certain there's no one downrange, when they're in the middle of the woods? How can they be certain, when the area behind one's target is gob-smackingly vast?

Ideally, you would be able to see the ground behind your target.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
No, Tyme, my theory is that Sarah Palin is an absolute fake, that she knows nothing about hunting or camping or even raising children, that she's just a creation of the Republican Party (or even the Tea Party). Maybe she's just a hologram.

I wish she was a hologram.

Then someday I might be able to get a bootleg copy of her on BitTorrent or something someday.  >:D
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »

Generally for deer hunting you're in a tree stand shooting at a downward angle, so the ground is your backstop.  If your hunting at ground level, then you make sure that you have a good back stop.  (most the time you're in a wooded are that's somewhat hilly.   The other way is if it's not hilly (able to the terrain as a backstop), depending on how wooded the area is, lots and lots of trees can also make a backstop.  

You generally don't shoot at an animal that is silhouetted on a ridge or hilltop.  However in some areas (like Alaska) where there's nothing/no one behind that ridge, then you might take the shot.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 05:44:48 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:25 PM »

When I hunt with firearm that shoots a solid projectile I try to set myself up in a situation where my bullet will go into a hill behind the target. Even when I hunted in WY this fall all the shots I took had a hill behind them as a backstop. Doesn't take much of a hill as a backstop.

My main hunting rifle is a Model 70 Win in .300 Win Mag and I have it zeroed for 200 yards, in theory the bullet should be hitting the ground before 600 yards if I am shooting straight ahead. When I deer hunt in Iowa I use a shotgun shooting slugs and they hit the dirt about 350 yards, this I have witnessed first hand.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:03:10 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
Having watched the hunting segment and now more of her show where she handled firearms, I don't think she has much experience with either.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »
Having watched the hunting segment and now more of her show where she handled firearms, I don't think she has much experience with either.

Is she a Gun nut like most of us here, no.  But, she's at least on our side, and more women are looking at the shooting sports (hunting included) then before because of her.  I've had several women sign up for our Firearm Safety Clinics because of Sarah.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
Is she a Gun nut like most of us here, no.  But, she's at least on our side, and more women are looking at the shooting sports (hunting included) then before because of her.  I've had several women sign up for our Firearm Safety Clinics because of Sarah.

She's the only one professional enough to shoot that caribou  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »

She can out shoot B.O ( I betcha! )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."