Author Topic: 130 MPH-not guilty  (Read 5574 times)

griz

• friend
130 MPH-not guilty
« on: December 09, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
Guy and GF zipped by a trooper because his throttle stuck.  This is local to me so I can tell you that 130 while going from rt 58 to I-264 would be pretty spooky.  Story:   http://hamptonroads.com/2010/12/convictions-tossed-130mph-ride-runaway-motorcycle

The trooper was already doing over 80 MPH on the way to another call, so I'll bet he was a bit surprised when somebody passed him going 50 MPH faster!
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: 130 MPH-not guilty
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
And on a bike, too!  Hairy!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »
130 on a modern sportbike is easy to control. All he would have had to do to stop was hit the kill switch, pull the clutch lever, and coast to a stop.  :facepalm:
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »
truth is stranger than fiction   hes lucky they believed him.  there are at least 2 ways to turn the motor off and its not like hes got power steering et al to worry about. folks learn the minimum needed to "drive" then get that funny look when thats not enough
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »
Thing is, it wouldn't have been all that hairy to hit the kill switch as soon as he realized the throttle was stuck. No need to hit the clutch right away...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »
He fiddled with the clutch, but remembered stories about revving engines exploding, "and this engine is between my legs." He also feared turning off the engine at that speed, so they just kept going faster.

He swerved around at least one car that looked as if it was standing still even though it was going the speed limit. He veered onto Interstate 264 - he didn't want to chance the High-Rise Bridge on Interstate 64 and its metal-grate surface.

"Basically, I'm just trying to maintain control of the motorcycle," Parker said. "If you're not used to going that speed, it's scary."

The trooper pulled alongside and started nudging closer. To avoid hitting him or running off the highway, Parker chanced holding in the clutch. The engine held. Parker stopped on the shoulder and killed the engine. The chase lasted about a minute, long enough to cover about two miles.

I call shenanigans.  He didn't want to use the clutch or kill switch earlier, but had a change of heart when the trooper drew abreast of him?  Either this was his second day on a motorcycle or the guy made up this story to see if it would stick.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »
Shenanigans!!  Shenanigans!! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:01:26 PM »
Shenanigans!!  Shenanigans!! =D

Eeeevillll shenanigans......  :police: :lol: :police:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
I'm going to pistol whip the next person who says shenanigans!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »
I call shenanigans.  He didn't want to use the clutch or kill switch earlier, but had a change of heart when the trooper drew abreast of him?  Either this was his second day on a motorcycle or the guy made up this story to see if it would stick.

People sometimes get confused an irrational in emergencies.

It would be fairly easy to inspect the vehicle and check if it had a technical issue.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
People sometimes get confused an irrational in emergencies.

It would be fairly easy to inspect the vehicle and check if it had a technical issue.

According to the article, the guy had a repair order from a motorcycle shop that supposedly backs up his claim.  That and the fact he's only been riding motorcycles for three months makes me inclined to believe him. I can see a novice locking up and not knowing for sure what to do in that situation.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »
Yea  if i try it though i am definitely lying
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »
I think being able to ecorrectly describe the actual processes involved with operating a motor vehicle should be part of the drivers license requirements.
Be able to describe and make a simple diagram of everthing that happens frmo the time you turn the key to start it to turning the key to stop it. Including electrical and mechanical linkages, fuel, cooling, breaks, steering, suspension, charging and any other system that affects the operation of the vehicle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »
>Yea  if i try it though i am definitely lying<

Only if your lips are moving... :P

>I think being able to ecorrectly describe the actual processes involved with operating a motor vehicle should be part of the drivers license requirements...<

I think that's going a lil' TOO far.

Or should people need to be able to completely outline all the mechanics the happen when they pull a trigger before owning/operating a firearm?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 02:09:56 AM »
I think that's going a lil' TOO far.

Alright, I'll add the requirements of being able to describe in laymans terms the physics involved with steering, skdding and stopping a vehicle.

As for firearms ownership requirements while I think every gun owner should be able to do that, making it a requirement gets into the infringment thingy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 07:50:11 AM »
Not sure why he couldn't have just popped the clutch and hit the kill switch immediately. That way the engine compression wouldn't have thrown him off. Rookie mistake born from unfamiliarity with the machine is my guess.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 07:55:48 AM »
I'm going to pistol whip the next person who says shenanigans!

Hey, fistful!  What's the name of that place you like to go to out in Spursbury, with the chicken fingers and all that stuff hanging on the walls?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 08:29:09 AM »
Hey, fistful!  What's the name of that place you like to go to out in Spursbury, with the chicken fingers and all that stuff hanging on the walls?

Fistfuls on the radio for beating up the guy at the drive thru.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 09:08:11 AM »
So is it SOP for Virginia state troopers to throw down on speeders?

I can sort of buy the guy's story ... sort of ... but I find the notion of a cop pulling a gun on a speeder rather unsettling.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 09:16:14 AM »
So is it SOP for Virginia state troopers to throw down on speeders?

I can sort of buy the guy's story ... sort of ... but I find the notion of a cop pulling a gun on a speeder rather unsettling.

Here's one from Maryland.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
when you hit 3 figures they get a lil tense  especially when you are 2 up.  i got 12 months in va for a lil faster than that

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »
Not sure why he couldn't have just popped the clutch and hit the kill switch immediately. That way the engine compression wouldn't have thrown him off.

Engine compression will not upset the bike though, it will just feel like the bike is coasting down with the throttle closed, but a lot quieter. Failing that,  a bike will likely have a rev limiter (ignition set to retard the timing at a certain RPM) which will keep the engine from flying apart.
I'll always remember the kill switch-its the only thing I got dinged on with my road test. Instructor told me to shut the engine off so I reached down and turned the key off as was my habit. LOL.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:09:01 AM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama