Author Topic: 2010 UN Climate Change Conferees Are Sigh UhN TERRIFIC!  (Read 7984 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
2010 UN Climate Change Conferees Are Sigh UhN TERRIFIC!
« on: December 10, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »
...and hate America because America won't commit seppuku, set itself on fire, and then roll around in ground glass.

Read and weep over how hateful and ignorant are the global warmer fetishists:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/12/08/cop16-attendees-fall-for-the-old-dihydrogen-monoxide-petition-as-well-as-signing-up-to-cripple-the-u-s-economy/

First, some college students were able to get a bunch of delegates to sign a petition calling for the UN and a bunch of countries to impose punitive tariffs seeking to run down America's GDP by 6% unless America commits to and implements the insane Kyoto Protocols.

Then, the really, really smart; totally qualified to comment on the climate(0); and brimming with care scientific titans fell for the old, "Sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide."

(0) Unlike schlubs like me with a physics degree and who has to model atmosphere in parts of the world and develop & jockey mongo-sized stochastic models as part of my job.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: 2010 UN Climate Change Conferees Are Sigh UhN TERRIFIC!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:08:49 AM »
People still fall for that?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »
People still fall for that?

It's in all of our lakes and rivers, and even our drinking water  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
I always called it dihydrogen oxide.  Unless it has a "di" or "tri" in front of it it is generally regarded to be "mono" IIRC.  

If someone could get the stuff out of my drinking water I'd be a happy camper!!!  [tinfoil] [tinfoil] :laugh: ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »
Yeah, but using monoxide flows better and adds some confusion with carbon monoxide. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
I always called it submethyl hydroxide.

Submethyl hydroxide is the lowest form of alcohol.

And if you pour it into concentrated sulfuric acid it will explode.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 02:06:55 PM »
It's in all of our lakes and rivers, and even our drinking water  :O
And it's in a higher concentration in the rainwater that falls on our cities than it is in the ocean!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
I always called it submethyl hydroxide.

Can you explain the "submethyl" part to someone who hasn't paid much attention to chem since high school? 
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
Can you explain the "submethyl" part to someone who hasn't paid much attention to chem since high school? 

1-Propyl Alcohol (1-Propanol):

Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol):

Methyl Alcohol (Methanol):

Sub-Methyl Alcohol (water):
H-O-H
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 03:10:27 PM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »
What is this dihydrogen monoxide?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
Sub-Methyl Alcohol (water):
H-O-H

That's awesome!

Thanks for the explanation, CNYC...
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
What is this dihydrogen monoxide?
A very dangerous substance!  It can be a solid, a liquid, and even a vapor. If inhaled, it will kill a person in minutes!

And it is everywhere!!!1!11
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

What are some of the dangers associated with DHMO?
Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

* Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    * Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    * Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    * DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    * Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    * Contributes to soil erosion.
    * Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    * Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    * Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    * Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    * Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
    * Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
    * Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »
* Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

LOL Hadn't seen that one before.  TNX

And TNX, CNYCacher !  ROH!  Yay!

The horror!  And there are NO regulations on this terrible substance. You can get it in ANY quantities you want from any chemical supply house by ordering CAS Number 7732-18-5 or CAS Number 7789-20-0 WITHOUT EVEN NEEDING ID OR REGISTERING THE SALE OR ANYTHING!

Does Homeland Security know about this?  How about the TSA?

And just as an example of its power, did you know that they inject it into high performance aircraft engines to boost the power 10-20 percent in emergency situations?  But it's so strong that they can only use it for short periods?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:55:04 PM by 230RN »

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »
DHMO is a major industrial solvent, often dumped by these same international corporations right into our county's waterways.
DHMO is used in large nuclear reactors.
It played a major role in the recent Gulf oil spill.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
The horror!  And there are NO regulations on this terrible substance. You can get it in ANY quantities you want from any chemical supply house by ordering CAS Number 7732-18-5 or CAS Number 7789-20-0 WITHOUT EVEN NEEDING ID OR REGISTERING THE SALE OR ANYTHING!

You can even buy it for a dollar per gallon at your local grocery store!
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 07:25:12 PM »
33 cents at walmart
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »
In solid form, DHMO can cause airplane and car crashes.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
A very dangerous substance!  It can be a solid, a liquid, and even a vapor. If inhaled, it will kill a person in minutes!

And it is everywhere!!!1!11
It's killed more people than anthrax. And our leaders still won't do anything about it!  :mad: [ar15]

erictank

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »
LOL Hadn't seen that one before.  TNX

And TNX, CNYCacher !  ROH!  Yay!

TSA knows ALL about the dangers of DHMO - they won't let you bring containers holding more than 100mL onboard aircraft, regarding it as too great a potential threat to the safety of passengers, crew, and aircraft. >:D

Sadly, though, when they confiscate it from passengers at the checkpoint (those poor, benighted, ignorant souls, bringing such a hazardous substance to a TSA checkpoint!!!), the screeners throw it in a standard trashcan next to the checkpoint, threatening hundreds of people at a time to potential DHMO exposure.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »
You really wanna mess with people, you can tell them that when DHMO is dissolved in water, it dissociates into hydronium and hydroxide ions.  An imbalance of either one can alter the pH of water and make it corrosive and even toxic. 

For the chemistry of it, some portion of water molecules form the hydronium ion (H3O+) and others form the hydroxide ion (OH-).  It's argued that most bulk water is actually in this form, hydronium and hydroxide ions...  Pure water exhibits a pH of 7 because of this phenomena, an equal balance between an acid (H30+) and a base (OH-). 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 07:42:06 PM »
And some of it comes in the radioactive form of bideuterium monoxide, D2O!

Radioactive, mind you!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 07:42:50 PM »
OH!  Heavens!!!  I have 800 acres of the stuff just outside my door.  I'm calling 911 right now!!!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »
I would like to thank the members of APS for alerting me to this very serious issue. Despite previous warnings, I am ashamed to say I was woefully uninformed on the true dangers this chemical presents, in so many areas of life. After reading the following links, however, I am convinced that this substance must be banned immediately.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/dhmo.htm

http://xtronics.com/reference/dihydrogen-monoxide.htm
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife