Author Topic: Dry firing hint for rimfires  (Read 1712 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Dry firing hint for rimfires
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
I wanted to dry-fire practice with my .22 autoloader, so a long time ago I got a mess of those plastic .22 dummy rounds to avoid dinging up the chamber rim.  (Some guns have a firing pin limiter so this doesn't happen, but mine doesn't.)

I would load up a mag full of them and yank the slide for each dry-fire session.

They're OK, but suffer from a couple of problems.  When the firing pin hits, they dent, and when you pull the slide to recock the thing, sometimes they eject, sometime they don't, so the following plastic round jams in there.  Even turning them around just postpones the inevitable.  Sooner or later the whole rim is smashed down by the successive firing pin impacts and they become useless.

So what I did today was take a fired .22 case and trimmed off a part of the rim (wire cutters, file) so the extractor won't grab it, then put the trimmed case into the chamber so the cutout is under the extractor.

That way I can use only one, without the magazine, and just rack the slide for each "shot."  Yes, the rims get flattened under the firing pin, but at least the brass can take more impacts than the plastic.

Ejection is accomplished with a cleaning rod.

Not an earth-shaking idea, but may come in handy for dry-firing with other rimfire guns.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Dry firing hint for rimfires
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:31:44 AM »
Sounds like a good idea but if I may, IMHO if you just use spent .22 shells and eject/rechamber after each trigger pull it will slow you down and make you think more about your next trigger pull. When I was learning to shoot .45 in the Navy we used live rounds but until you could shoot a clean slow fire target you were allowed to load only one round at a time for the very purpose of slowing you down. Last time I shot nationals I came out ~#175 in the USA so apparently it works.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:42 AM »
another option is to buy a cheap springer airsoft, the worthless trigger on that will make you learn to do it right. >:D

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:24:21 AM »
Get a revolver  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »
What model is your .22lr autoloader?
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln