Author Topic: Voyager leaving Sol's influence  (Read 7771 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Voyager leaving Sol's influence
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/12/13/the-wind-is-no-longer-at-voyagers-back/

No more solar wind behind Voyager 1.

Makes me wonder how much longer it can operate.  Was it nuclear powered, or did it get juice from solar panels?

And, will it get torn apart by some sort of freak interstellar storm wind once it leaves the protection of Sol's positive-pressure "breeze"?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Voyager leaving Sol's influence
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:50 AM »
It's nuclear powered.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »
Pretty cool that we're heading out of the solar system. Thought it was kinda funny though yesterday to see a headline, "Voyager leaving space". I didn't know it had trans-dimensional capability. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »
Well, I, for one, am glad to learn that our little toy will be headed towards our trans-galactic overlords through a wormhole.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:38:45 PM »
Well, I, for one, am glad to learn that our little toy will be headed towards our trans-galactic overlords through a wormhole.....
.....where it will meet the denizens of a machine planet, be incorporated into one of their probes, and return to earth as "V'Ger" in the year 2279 only to be dealt with by the crafty and wily Captain James T. Kirk.  [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 01:29:27 PM »
Ugh... all the stupid in the comments.

65.   Dave Says:
December 13th, 2010 at 10:47 pm
So is it still working? Are we still able to get a ping or a beep out of it? It would be cool if Voyager left our solar system and could still say “hi I’m still alive.” Otherwise it will be humanity’s first interstellar litter.

Did he even read the article?  ???

75.   Nathan Says:
December 14th, 2010 at 1:10 am
I believe the voyager craft were the last to be nuclear powered before all the treaties were signed preventing nukes to be detonated in the atmosphere. Shame the leaders lack the vision of the scientists and didn’t allow for this form of propulsion to be continually used.

;/ (facepalm)
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:40:33 PM »
It was launched before personal computers were everywhere, before cell phones, before the internet! But it was given a powerful boost by its rocket, and another by the two largest planets in the solar system as it swung by them. And now, in just a few more years, it will have left our nest forever.

Too bad they hadn't figured out solar sails back then, or it would be going a lot faster by now, and be a lot farther away.

Still, Bon Voyager=)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
I guess it is only a matter of time before the Psychos find it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »
I guess it is only a matter of time before the Psychos find it. 

Do you mean the Reavers?  ???
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »
Do you mean the Reavers?  ???

No, Psychlos:

Chris

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »
.....where it will meet the denizens of a machine planet, be incorporated into one of their probes, and return to earth as "V'Ger" in the year 2279 only to be dealt with by the crafty and wily Captain James T. Kirk.  [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Or not, since those Romulans went back in time and destroyed Vulcan, thus altering the timeline.    :P

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »
For the next 10,000 years or so, the odds are better for Both Pioneers and Voyagers that someone from the Sol system/Earth will run out in better ships to retrieve them for a museum, than any aliens finding them.
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »
You gotta hand it to the folks at JPL for building a damn fine machine.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 04:09:12 PM »
Don't forget that there's a pulsar roadmap pointing back to Earth plastered to the side of it.  =D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »
Fact: a manhole cover probably came there first.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 05:13:36 PM »
Fact: a manhole cover probably came there first.
???

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 05:19:53 PM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
Ever hear of Operation Plumbbob?

And it's sister operations - Torpedo Level, Measuring Tape, and Framing Square.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 05:49:25 PM »
I'd like to think the plate did escape the Earth, some of the upper estimates were about 42 miles per second, (which ironically is about the maximum speed the Voyagers ever attained during the Jupiter/Saturn grav slingshots) but the shape was hardly aerodynamic, and there's no accounting for losses due to tumbling, or compressive/frictional heating.

Meteors that are at least roughly spherical, and massed more than the plate, and coming in at that speed tend to not reach the ground either.

Also, that was the plate's maximum velocity at the detonation site, it would have been doing nothing but slowing after that, from the atmosphere, then the Earth's gravity, then the Sun's.

Then, even if we simplify the launch direction, and assume it was largely straight up at the zenith, what time of day was the test? Anything other than a night shot well after midnight and significantly before noon (Say between the hours of 3am and 9am...) would be robbed significantly of velocity by having a nominal retrograde launch against Earth's orbit about the sun.

And if it's launch were orbit neutral it would have largely had mostly a straight velocity out from the sun, and just fallen back on a long hyperbole.

I say 1/1000 odds it left the atmosphere. And 1/100 odds it's left the Solar System.
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
Or not, since those Romulans went back in time and destroyed Vulcan, thus altering the timeline.    :P

I do not accept the recent ... "movie" as being part of any Star Trek Universe I grew up with and know and love.   [tinfoil]  That didn't actually happen. [tinfoil]  Vulcan is still there and is doing well. [tinfoil] [tinfoil] :angel: :lol:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 07:53:50 PM »
lol... I don't accept the travesty of the first Star Trek movie as belonging to that Universe.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
It wasn't that bad, just edited in a really screwball fashion. 

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:52 PM »
I retaliated by watching all seven seasons of Deep Space Nine again.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »
So, can i carry a phaser with a CA CCP?