Author Topic: False Advertising?  (Read 5539 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
False Advertising?
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c2bJlkpYn8
Do you think that this coffee machine is a robot? A few people I know thought this was real, and were disappointed to find it was no different than the normal coffee machine.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: False Advertising?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
If that was the only advertisement I saw, I would expect it to perform as in the commercial. Why not?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »
Yep -- false advertising. A countertop coffee brewer is NOT a robot, and if you show me an ad for a coffee robot that hands me a steaming cup of brew ... that's what I should get if I buy one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »
Based on that ad, I would think it was a robot.

Especially after hearing the name of the product: "Brewbot"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 03:22:11 PM »
Same here.  When I first saw the ad, I pointed it out to my wife and mentioned that it was pretty cool and that I might like to have one.

Felt a bit foolish when I figgered it all out.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 03:31:53 PM »
I thought "Whoa . . . that's false advertising . . . " the first time I saw the commercial.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 03:32:51 PM »
I wouldn't think that coffee maker is a robot based on that commercial.  It appears to be way too articulated and capable, therefore it can't be real.

So, no, it isn't false advertising.  Over-selling and exageration, sure, but not false advertising.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 03:55:16 PM »
Given the current state of the art in Robotics, that animation is so over the top I never thought it did that.  To me, that's no more false advertising then the Snickers commercials currently out.  It's obvious that people don't really turn into Aretha Franklin when hungry, and it's obvious to me that that coffeemaker couldn't really do that.

So I vote not False Advertising, but just a badly done commercial.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »
Given the current state of the art in Robotics, that animation is so over the top I never thought it did that.  To me, that's no more false advertising then the Snickers commercials currently out.  It's obvious that people don't really turn into Aretha Franklin when hungry, and it's obvious to me that that coffeemaker couldn't really do that.

'Cause, much like slight hunger, "the current state of the art in robotics" is something most humans are familiar with. Wait, no, that's wrong.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »
'Cause, much like slight hunger, "the current state of the art in robotics" is something most humans are familiar with. Wait, no, that's wrong.

Come on Fistful, I used the pronoun "I" or "me" four times in that sentence.  I wasn't going for "most humans"  I was stating my opinion.  If I was on the jury I wouldn't be convinced that they expected anyone to take that commercial literally. So I don't think it's false advertising.

You are, of course, welcome to disagree with my opinion.

ETA: If however it is false advertising it goes without saying that it's your fault. =D

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
I vote I wish it was real so it could bring me a nice hot cuppa at my personal whim. I could use one roght now as a matter of fact.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
Get a grip, people.

Do you really expect your cologne to nab you a date with a supermodel?

Then you shouldn't expect a coffee machine to double as an advanced robot either.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 07:59:43 PM »
Get a grip, people.

Then you shouldn't expect a coffee machine to double as an advanced robot either.

No, I just expect the coffee machine to offer the features that are  advertised. That would only be reasonable. I would expect that coffee machine to play a tune and hand me a cup of Joe, naturally.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/12/09/chinese-restaurant-staffed-by-robot-waiters-chinese-robot-is-staffed-entirely-by-robots-except-in-the-kitchen/

Come on Fistful, I used the pronoun "I" or "me" four times in that sentence.  I wasn't going for "most humans"  I was stating my opinion.  If I was on the jury I wouldn't be convinced that they expected anyone to take that commercial literally. So I don't think it's false advertising.

"Most humans" is all that really matters here. If you're going to judge whether it is false advertising, you have to consider what other people are going to take away from that ad. Whether you, personally, would be misled is really not the point at all.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:04:06 PM by Fistful »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
Get a grip, people.

I can expect it when the last 4 words spoken in the commercial are "one smart little bot".

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »
The first time that my coffee maker brings my cup of joe to my bedside will be the first time I shoot a coffeemaker....Skynet is not welcome in my bedroom....   [ar15] :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
I wouldn't think that coffee maker is a robot based on that commercial.  It appears to be way too articulated and capable, therefore it can't be real.

Really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfX013yrSNg

If this were narrowed down to just a coffee-making-and-distributing system, I'd expect it to be a lot more smooth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyr8iJFxIjU

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:07:47 PM »
Skynet is not welcome in my bedroom....
A Skynet sexbot would be very interesting indeed.

And I wouldn't call this thing an advanced robot. The Transformer-esque design would easily be the hardest part of the project. The rest could be done with a pair of Lego Robotics sets and a cannibalized coffee maker.