Author Topic: Quality of recent SOG products?  (Read 3699 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Quality of recent SOG products?
« on: December 18, 2010, 05:53:30 PM »
No, not the .gov group, the knife company. Are they currently making good gear?

At present, I'm most interested in the Flash II and the Northwest Ranger, although their multi-tool pliers look pretty neat (their tools actually look like they're made to be used; like Leatherman, unlike Gerber).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Quality of recent SOG products?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »
From the stuff I've been reading, they are so-so on some of their stuff...I'd look elsewhere...

Also, a buddy of mine broke his SOG multitool pliers with very light use.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 01:01:28 AM »
I Love my SOG Twitch II and haven't had any issues with it other than the lock engaging when I didn't want it to but a drop of Super-Glue Gel solved that issue! I don't see a need for the lock as it has never opened by accident and won't accidentally release the blade and close unintentionally in normal use either.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:16:43 AM »
Honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on SOG.

The guy who started the company is just a design geek with no knife making skills.  Also, he makes his past out to be some sort of super secret design ninja for black ops  ;/

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:22:59 AM »
I've only owned one SOG product (early-model Paratool), and it's so-so...not bad, but not great. Haven't seen anything else from them worth owning....

I just stick to the products from Leatherman, Kershaw, and CRKT....good stuff at a great price....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:51:38 AM »
No, not the .gov group, the knife company. Are they currently making good gear?

At present, I'm most interested in the Flash II and the Northwest Ranger, although their multi-tool pliers look pretty neat (their tools actually look like they're made to be used; like Leatherman, unlike Gerber).

My most-recent experience was with a Pentagon I locking folder (the shorter one, which is still a pretty big knife - my Mom freaked when I pulled it out to open a box or something shortly after getting it) I bought several years ago now.  The steel blade (AUS-8?) developed small rust spots pretty quickly, but they've not grown or spread.  Edge holding was not too bad, though the tanto tip and partial-length serration make sharpening an... interesting exercise.  I like the thumb button that'll kick the blade out about 10-15deg from full closed - with a little practice, that and a flick of the wrist will pop the blade open fast as you please, and releasing it locks the blade open, as well.  Reverse the wrist flick while holding the button, and you can flip it closed just as fast, and I've never had a problem with inadvertant unlocking.  the skeletonized belt/pocket clip is flimsy, and held on by Torx screws, both of which are annoying, but after I broke the clip, SOG sent me a new one for free.  Overall, I don't know that I'd buy it again, frankly, but it's fairly cool.

Whether those things still apply?  Can't tell you.

I love my Kershaw Ken Onion 'Leek' (the stainless model, not the psychedelic-colored one), and they also sent me free safety locking kits when I accidentally ran it through the dryer and broke it.  That also broke the tip off, but I ground it to a sharp point again and it's been fine since.  Amusingly enough, there was no damage to any of the clothes in the dryer.  The blade takes a good edge, and is pretty easy to keep sharp.  This is my EDC knife. 

I also like my CRKT KISS knife/clip - one of those where the blade is open to the touch when it's "closed, but it's not sharp on that side and fits tightly against the body of the knife so you don't cut yourself when it's in your pocket.  Nice heavy clip on the other side (it'll work as a money clip, if you like), blade seems to stay pretty sharp - just make sure you only sharpen the one side!  Liner-lock style.  It was cheap, too, something like $25.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
I have three(?) knives from SOG, a couple folders and a Field Pup, all of which I am pleased with. Their axis-style lock mechanism is the smoothest I have found on a folder, period. They love using AUS 8, which is one of my favorite steels.

I can't stand their advertising videos, but that doesn't affect the quality of their hardware.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the reviews.

I meant to say that their web site is one of the better sites I've seen from a knife manufacturer. Most knife co. web sites are loaded down with clumsy graphics effects and animations, or make you browse through lists of knife names (as if the names told you anything about the knives). SOG's is very good, though. As you scroll through the names, full-size pictures pop up to give you an idea of the knife's characteristics.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 12:32:23 AM »
I love my Kershaw Ken Onion 'Leek' (the stainless model, not the psychedelic-colored one), and they also sent me free safety locking kits when I accidentally ran it through the dryer and broke it.  That also broke the tip off, but I ground it to a sharp point again and it's been fine since.  Amusingly enough, there was no damage to any of the clothes in the dryer.  The blade takes a good edge, and is pretty easy to keep sharp.  This is my EDC knife.  

That's my main complaint about the Leeks, that safety thing breaks way too fast.  I also broke the tip of my Leek, although it was in a way so stupid I don't even like telling the story (it involves a ladder, and the closing of said ladder, with the open knife still on the tray of said ladder. Jebus. Thankfully it hit the concrete, and not my head.)

Anyway, I switched out to Kershaw's Black Out after that. No safety means one less thing to break, and I'd been jonesing for a partially serrated blade for a while.  Handle feels a lot better in my hand, and the black disappears on most of my jeans.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 12:40:53 AM »
That's my main complaint about the Leeks, that safety thing breaks way too fast.  I also broke the tip of my Leek, although it was in a way so stupid I don't even like telling the story (it involves a ladder, and the closing of said ladder, with the open knife still on the tray of said ladder. Jebus. Thankfully it hit the concrete, and not my head.)

Anyway, I switched out to Kershaw's Black Out after that. No safety means one less thing to break, and I'd been jonesing for a partially serrated blade for a while.  Handle feels a lot better in my hand, and the black disappears on most of my jeans.

I like the Kershaw Blur, which has no safety on it. I've always thought the index finger flipper thingy to be in an awkward place, anyway, and never really saw the need for one when pushing the normal thumb stud to "activate" the system is more natural, anyway.

Oh, and I lost my Blur in the woods two weeks ago, but Dad somehow found it the other day when the tractor drug it up. Two weeks in the ground, and we had no shortage of rain and it was freezing cold. Rinsed the knife off in the sink- no damage, no corrosion, and the only difference from before I lost it is it's a bit more gritty when you open it. Now that's a damn fine knife.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 02:50:57 AM »
First comments about their folders.

It's hit-or-miss depending on the price point (generally). As a rule, their Japan-made knives are good quality for your money. Their US-assembled knives (like the Flash and Aegis) are usually solid. The new Sogzilla knives seem like solid buys so far for being China-made, but they ought to be solid buys being based on proven Spyderco designs.

The Arc-Lock is a great lock.

The newish Fusion-series blades they've been putting out are pretty darn mediocre and I wouldn't spend my money on them. The heat-treatment on them is really spotty and you see them using relatively poor steels in most of them.

The SOG Stingray 2.0 with the mino paper inlay is on my buy list. The cost is kind of off-putting though.

Moving onto their fixed blades.

Lots of Taiwan-made stuff. Lots of AUS8 steel. If you don't mind that, then they're put together pretty well with solid ergos (plus, the Tsunami and Swedge series are actually nice knives that I wouldn't imagine many folks not liking). Their Japan-made blades are really nice, in my opinion, but the prices go real high real fast (their KIKU tanto is just dreamy).

Wrapping it all up, I've never used a Gerber multi-tool, so I couldn't tell you how I like them. I've heard good things about the Pocket Plier and Power Assist series, but haven't used one.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »
I don't understand the fire that Gerber multitools take.

I'm not a Gerber fanboi, and I've got one of their multitools that I've owned for maybe 8 years or so.  It's been a solid tool.  Heck, I've even used the wire cutters in the pliers-tool to cut the spring of an M14 magazine.  Completely inappropriate task for a light-duty pocket tool, but it did it okay.  For a year or so there was a "hiccup" in the operation of the pliers/cutter due to burrs, but it smoothed back out after awhile. 

I just bought (last week) a Leatherman Skeletool CX.  I've been a fan of the concept since the tool came out.  My Gerber got itself lost for a few weeks (I found it about 4 hours before the Skeletool showed up in the mail  ;/ ), so I ordered a new multitool.  Everyone crows online about the Skeletool, especially the quality of the blade on the CX model.  Frankly, I think they're full of bull.  On mine, the blade is ground unevenly.  It will make sharpening an interesting task, later on.  I may even send it back to Leatherman, I'm that disappointed in the quality of the blade.

The pliers on the Skeletool are much smaller than those of the Gerber.  They will not stand up to the abuse that my Gerber will.  They aren't "needle-nose" and they aren't strong or bulky... They're going to be a very selective-use tool due to the small size but lack of dexterity.

Haven't had occasion yet to use the screwdriver bits that ship with the Skeletool.

The bottle-opener on the Skeletool is first-rate, though.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:28 AM »

I'm not a Gerber fanboi, and I've got one of their multitools that I've owned for maybe 8 years or so.

I've got one I've had about that long, and it's fine.

I've got another I picked up this summer, when I mislaid the first one.  It's a Gerber Suspension, "hecho en China", & the spring on the scissors promptly popped out of place (the one on the old one never has).  Not as good, and it may go in For Sale, sometime.

My 2 grAu.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:58:04 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »

I didn't know I had any company. I have learned to dislike them for various reasons, and have also been very impressed by Leatherman's design, quality, and customer service. I don't know what to tell you about the Skeletool. My experience is from several years ago, when I carried a Leatherman Supertool everyday. I haven't used a multi-tool in years, though. Quality may have changed in both brands.

I tend not to worry too much about knife blades in a pliers-type multi-tool. I wouldn't carry a multi-tool without also carrying an actual knife for knife jobs. Heck, I wouldn't mind having one with no knife blade at all.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »
This is unrelated to the OP but I originally purchased a Gerber multi tool because it was much more comfortable to use than the corresponding Leatherman. My friend disagreed and we both purchased the multi tool that fit us best. I broke the knife blade on my Gerber in a non-abusive situation and knicked up the pliers cutting steel wire within weeks of ownership. My friend kept the leatherman at his side for almost a decade before it was lost on motorcycle ride. In all that time the teeth of the pliers kept their grip, the action remained smooth, and even the phillips head screwdriver hadn't deformed. My gerber was junk by comparison but it sure felt nice in the hand for a few weeks.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 06:10:41 PM »
My friend kept the leatherman at his side for almost a decade before it was lost on motorcycle ride. In all that time the teeth of the pliers kept their grip, the action remained smooth, and even the phillips head screwdriver hadn't deformed.

Wow. I don't know how much he used it, but I've worn out the #2 Philips bits in a few six-in-one tools within a couple of months. It's not hard to do. Since then, I have learned to carry a dedicated #2 Philips screwdriver in my tool bag, so I don't wear out my six-in-one tools so quickly.