Author Topic: BATFE wants reports on Border Sales of "High Power" Rifles  (Read 2237 times)

Waitone

• friend
BATFE wants reports on Border Sales of "High Power" Rifles
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
Interesting.  I thought they would clamp down on a wider range firearms since the reports weren't all that specific.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101220/ap_on_re_us/us_gun_sales_reporting_2
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: BATFE wants reports on Border Sales of "High Power" Rifles
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »
Shrug...

Crime is always a socio-economic problem. I predict that narco-terror will get so bad we'll eventually revisit drug legalization. And we're just wasting time, and allowing needless death on both sides of the border, making evil men rich, to try and save people who are just going to smoke, shoot, snort, and swallow dope anyway.

I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:32:23 PM »
That must explain why there are so many in the financial gangster class...? 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:00:26 PM »
Well, it's time for the NRA's faith in harry reid to pay off.  He had better block this. 

Second, "high powered" rifles aren't used in to many crimes.  Hand guns are the norm here.  So why rifles?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:29:12 AM »
Officials on both sides of the border have said weapons bought legally in the United States are routinely smuggled into the Mexico. The proposed reporting requirement would apply to sales of two or more semi-automatic guns more powerful than .22-caliber rifles that use a detachable magazine within a five-day period.

Looks like they are just going after the AR's, AK's and other sporter semi-auto rifles. I might be worried about the real high power rifles that they could sit across the border with and do some real damage to us with.

This thing could get much uglier in the next few years.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:13:55 AM »
Well, it's time for the NRA's faith in harry reid to pay off.  He had better block this. 

Harry Reid has already been instrumental in making this the most pro-gun Congress in history.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:23 AM »
IMO, the real issue is deciding if whatever diplomatic/NAFTA ties we have with Mexico are sufficient that they can inconvenience/hurt us badly enough if we were to give an honest accounting or at least REASONABLE estimates of exactly how many guns in Mexico related to narco-terror/war are American straw-buy/smuggling, and how many had a legitimate transfer to Mexican military or law enforcement agencies and then wound up in criminal hands.

40mm grenades, hand grenades, and suppressors and other NFA stuff is obviously coming from their own mex.mil and LEA's.

OTOH, I've seen stuff like stacks of Draco-C AK-pistols that obviously did come from the American retail market.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:12 AM »
Makes me want to buy 2 stripped AR receivers a month just to piss 'em off.  :facepalm:

Problem is, I don't want a bunch of AR receivers. ;/

They don't have any call to come around harassing anyone that passes a NICS check.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
Makes me want to buy 2 stripped AR receivers a month just to piss 'em off.  :facepalm:

Problem is, I don't want a bunch of AR receivers. ;/

You can buy them and give them to me if you want.
 =D

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »
Well, its for 180 days in the border states only.  Then we'll learn around day 150 or so that ZOMG!!!  They're buying them evil full auto grenade flame throwers from as far away as Maine and Alaska!!!!!  We'll just have to expand this rule and make it permanent. 

Oh, and put me down for an AR Receiver or three....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:21:31 AM »
Where's the statutory authority for ATFE to do this?

This violates the GCA of '68 (as amended in '86) in several ways. :facepalm:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 08:54:07 PM »
I do believe it will probably be derailed by legal action.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
I do believe it will probably be derailed by legal action.

I know I'm going to taunt them deliberately by buying 2 AR lowers, and giving them a ration of feces when/if they call.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!