Author Topic: More police authoritay  (Read 5462 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
More police authoritay
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »
http://www.wbaltv.com/r/26190428/detail.html

Not even real police.  Natural Resources Police.

Fined two good samaritans for not wearing life jackets when rescuing a deer from a frozen river.  They had PFD's in their rubber raft, but didn't listen to instructions from the "authoritays" that were doing nothing but watching the deer drown.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: More police authoritay
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »
They should have been fined for contributing to the survival of a whitetail deer.  It's not as if the Mid-Atlantic isn't overrun by them.

BTW, what would the appropriate response have been if those two duds had fallen into the water and been unable to get their PFDs on before succumbing to the cold?  That's the real issue, their action could have put others at risk.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »
there were apparently pfd's in the rubber boat which is all the law requires. they are taking it to court so we will see.   the stuff on the water can get real weird.
there was a time when the park police arrested greg lugbill on his home slalom course when they determined it wasn't safe arbitrarily and "closed " the river.  powers they didn't have.   he was paddling in an eddy close to shore trying to explain to the one young goober why it was safe when said goober jumped into the water sans pfd to arrest lugbill.  all on camera. major stupid but par from the course for that cop.  he and i had issues over about 3 years that finally got settled in a most satisfying way when his partner set him up.
a lil upstream from that same young genius threatened me with arrest since i was "illegally " on the river. he sent a chopper and the dc police boat out after me only to find he was mistaken.

that said these 2 guys woulda been wise to wear pfds in icy river, especially after being so advised.  be a tossup how judge might interpret that.  river can get you quick. old man fletcher taught me that when he had his seizure while hauling the last legal gillnet in dc

oh by the way?  natural resources cops are real cops   generally decent guys too. never had trouble with them and i nearly lived on the upper and lower potomac.  they do get bored by stupid human tricks .  they also pull a lot of floating stupid humans
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »
They should have been fined for contributing to the survival of a whitetail deer.  It's not as if the Mid-Atlantic isn't overrun by them.

+1

I've never lived on a river, so I may not be familiar with all ramifications, but it seems to me that the best course of action would have been to shoot the deer.  Probably also illegal though.  =|

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »
Sorta like I can walk across the pasture to our horse corral to feed during hunting season in a brown coat, but if I carry my rifle over there then technically I'm obliged by law to wear blaze orange  ;/

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
during hunting season around here i wear blaze orange anywhere i can    many many fools hunt near here and i want the odds in my favor as much as possible
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
during hunting season around here i wear blaze orange anywhere i can    many many fools hunt near here and i want the odds in my favor as much as possible

Sure.  I myself wear an orange vest when out horseback riding during hunting season, but do not wear it when I'm actually hunting.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »

Yep.  I have a bright orange sweater.  Not quite blaze orange, but close, and it's both normal everyday clothes and highly visible.  I add a blaze orange cap anywhere in woods or fields.

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:52:51 PM »
i have a blase orange pony blanket and i have considered painting the goats horns orange. when i lived in wva cows regularly were shot,  black angus! and one city boy shot an airedale. that one cost him 2 front teeth that the dogs owner extracted personally, HERSELF.  lil bitty girl too  with  a huge right cross

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »
I don't see anything on the Maryland DNR safe boating website about adults being required to wear life jackets(kids 13 and under have to), but I think the cops were justifed in fining the two guys in the inflatable boat.  I've conducted plenty of SAR on the water including two winters of ice rescues in Michigan.  Think about this, a deer stuck in icy water, two guys in an inflatable boat try to get next to the deer, deer lashes out with a hoof, punctures the boat and now both people are in the water with no PFD's on.  I also get the feeling that there is more to the story than what is being reported, I'd bet the DNR officers told the guys in the boat to stop and put on lifejackets and got blown off.

Termination of Use
A Natural Resources Police Officer who observes a boat being operated in an unsafe
manner and who determines that an especially hazardous condition exists
may direct the
operator to take immediate steps to correct the condition, including returning to port.
Termination for unsafe use may be imposed for, but is not limited to:1. Insufficient number of USCG approved life jackets.
2. Insufficient fire extinguishers.
3. Overloading beyond manufacturer’s recommended safe loading capacity.
4. Improper navigation light display.
5. Insufficient ventilation for tanks and engine spaces.
6. Fuel leakage.
7. Fuel in bilges.
8. Improper backfire flame arrestor.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/pdfs/recreationvessels.pdf

Not even real police.  Natural Resources Police.

From the Maryland DNR website:

The Maryland Natural Resources Police serves as a public safety agency with statewide authority to enforce conservation, boating and criminal laws; as well as to provide primary law enforcement services for Marylands state parks, state forests and public lands owned and managed by the Department of Natural Resources. The agency is also responsible for maritime and rural search and rescue, homeland security and in all of its operations and activities strives to provide superior service to all of Marylands citizens and visitors who enjoy the states natural resources.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/mission.asp

I'd love to see you tell one of the local game wardens here that he or she isn't a real cop.   =D

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 01:41:17 PM »
oddly you are required to wear a vest on lower river in dc but most places just has to be in boat.  except the kids on the crew teams  they have carte blanche on speed and all the other pesky rules

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 03:23:38 PM »
Rescuing wild animals can be a risky business.

My daughter got mixed up in an antelope wrangling event last summer, that resulted in a potentially fatal injury to a young game warden.  Antelope hooves are rather sharp and quick, and arteries bleed rather quickly  :O

So if you see a speed-goat all wrapped up in baling twine, might be best to either just shoot it or leave it to its horrible fate ...  =|

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »
My hunting buddy found an injured white tail fawn tangled up in a fence right behind his house last year inside the city limits.  He called the Fish and Game, they didn't want to do anything about it.  He's a hunter and understands the natural order of things but it was freaking out his wife and the very young kids next door..  not to mention the dogs were going nuts.  He clipped the fence a ways away from the deer and it ran off dragging a bunch of fencing so at least it went out of sight to die.  He found its corpse in a field the following week.  Had it not been in the city limits he would have SSS.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
speed goat    =D  i'd never heard that before   it fits though  heck a regular pygmy goat can be down right ungrateful when you lift it and try to untangle it from a field fence can remove a considerable amount of skin, yours , while you free it

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 03:58:13 PM »
That's the real issue, their action could have put others at risk.

It's not their fault it's someone else's job to rescue them. What else should we make illegal simply because if you get hurt you could be putting someone's life in danger?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 04:47:22 PM »
maybe a stupid tax or if they get in trouble no rescue?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »
maybe a stupid tax or if they get in trouble no rescue?

We've got the stupid tax here in AZ.  Motorists that strand themselves in washes literally have to pay a stupid tax to get out.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Motorist_Law

And there is never an obligation for EMS to rescue.  Supremes said as much in their DC case where they ruled that PD's have no obligation to protect individuals.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
DC case where they ruled that PD's have no obligation to protect individuals.

rarely is a case quoted more or less accurately

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
except... wasn't it a NYC case?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 08:44:48 PM »
there was one in dc  its all the rage with a certain set. usually only peripherally aware of the case and parroting from a certain caste of bloggers. the obligation was in regards to a liability suit where the court ruled no specific obligation to a specific individual.  it gets balkoized a lot

horrid case

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:31 PM »
there was one in dc  its all the rage with a certain set. usually only peripherally aware of the case and parroting from a certain caste of bloggers. the obligation was in regards to a liability suit where the court ruled no specific obligation to a specific individual.  it gets balkoized a lot

horrid case
That is the context I have heard of.  The only case I heard of specifically was a Cali court case, but not SC.  Same ruling. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge