Author Topic: Restoring wolves to 48 states  (Read 5263 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Restoring wolves to 48 states
« on: December 21, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »
I might actually support this...    =|

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/article_e48b6824-0d28-11e0-8b36-001cc4c002e0.html

Let's start with Central Park in NYC and The Mall in DC  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Restoring wolves to 48 states
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »
I'm all for it. Maybe it'll help keep the feral pig population down as well.

Maybe allow the ground bird population to rebound in places that have taken a hit from coyotes/pigs.

Besides, most of the people that get eaten by the wolves will be granola-eating hippies, anyway. (that's a joke, btw.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
After we restore them, can we hunt them?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »
I would like to see them come back. I know, and know why most of the western states are opposed. The big issue is that someone will have to pay for depredation losses and we're it, maybe the wolves need a national paypal account where people who love cute furry animals can donate to pay for livestock loss instead of our taxes doing it. Perhaps it is a legit use of hunting excise taxes.

And yes, if there is a healthy population, there should be hunting.

There is just something basically wrong with taking an apex predator out of the loop. I'd bet in my area the sheep loss would remain the same based on the diminishing of the coyote horde. Something needs to come cull the sick and weak of the deer world, plenty of them here. Instead we sneak around each fall looking for the best genetic specimen and then we kill it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »
Nope.
They've (along with other WDNR f-ups) pretty much decimated the deer herds in areas of Northern WI, plus people up there have to constantly worry when they let their dogs out.
It'll only be a matter of time before bounties will be placed on them again.  As far as Apex predators go, we have a lot of bears and cougar, and neither of these species draw complaints or cause any problems.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
Since we're considering stupid actions, let's reintroduce the grizzly bear in spots in the west.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  If you're doing stupid, go full Monty stupid.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bearbiology.com%2Fiba%2Fabout0%2Fletts%2Flet02.html&rct=j&q=reintroduce%20grizzly%20bears&ei=NyURTYbRFMP_lges5_H9Bw&usg=AFQjCNEi6c9JmEc23ckNLn4_yD5NI9BsMg&sig2=QiuIvTe9aTtrzCNjHYgztQ&cad=rja

Don't be put off on the date.  It takes time for stupidity to grow, but it grows.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:20:12 PM »
OhdearG-d,

It was hi-lar-ious to watch the enviro-weenies around here go nuts when 'yotes moved into the neighborhoods.  When they started cruising across the school playgrounds and began to pick off dogs, cats and other small animals RIGHT OUTSIDE THEIR WINDOWS, something needed to be done.  The E-W's got their knickers twisted a bit more when the city started trapping the 'yotes.  (I wanted to trap the enviro-weenies as well, but the council refused to consider my idea).

Turns out that 3 out every 4 coytoes they trapped had the mange pretty bad.  

We've already had 3 wolves taken here in northern Illinois, so they're spreading out and on their way here.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/three_wolves_in_illinois_in_2010/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:01:34 PM »
I would like to see them come back. I know, and know why most of the western states are opposed. The big issue is that someone will have to pay for depredation losses and we're it, maybe the wolves need a national paypal account where people who love cute furry animals can donate to pay for livestock loss instead of our taxes doing it. Perhaps it is a legit use of hunting excise taxes.

There is just something basically wrong with taking an apex predator out of the loop. I'd bet in my area the sheep loss would remain the same based on the diminishing of the coyote horde. Something needs to come cull the sick and weak of the deer world, plenty of them here. Instead we sneak around each fall looking for the best genetic specimen and then we kill it.
My home county is one that has rules for hunting whitetail bucks.  You can only kill them if they have a spread of horns of about 12 inches or so.  I could be wrong on the number.  I'm told is basically well outside the ears.  There is an exception if the horns are damaged.  It has been in effect for at least 5 years or so and I am told it has helped the population a lot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:23:54 PM »
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/fall_abund.htm
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/bux_per_DR.htm
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/fall_deer_per_DR.htm
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/45717587.html

not too bad deer numbers

The problem is probably that the deer are all living in suburban areas and posted land where they can't be hunted.

I suppose that's where the wolves in WI will eventually wind up too.
I promise not to duck.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »

In some areas you have to kill a doe before you can get a buck tag.  In others there's a a large doe limit (or no limit at all), with a fairly small buck limit.  At least as of 2004 or so, Maryland had a limit of 10 does and 2 bucks.  Archers could take unlimited does.  Then theres place like WA where there's often minimum antler point restrictions, or even maximum (e.g. general elk season in the eastern half of WA is spike bulls only).  And around here most guys won't hold out for the big boys.  They'll take the first legal one that volunteers for a Darwin Award (so in "any buck" areas you get lots of spikes and fork horns taken, and the bucks with huge racks survive to breed.  

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 12:20:01 AM »
My home county is one that has rules for hunting whitetail bucks.  You can only kill them if they have a spread of horns of about 12 inches or so.  I could be wrong on the number.  I'm told is basically well outside the ears.  There is an exception if the horns are damaged.  It has been in effect for at least 5 years or so and I am told it has helped the population a lot. 

That saves little bambi venison spike(my favorite) but does nothing to stop the cull of what are the best specimens.

Sumpnz, I'm aware of "earn a buck" as they call it here. Underutilized here it seems. My county is covered up in coyotes and hunters yet the deer still run amok. I had 14 running on my land last year, only 3 regulars this year due to the hard winter but many more pass through.

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:06:14 AM »
In my district it is either sex, either species (muley or whitetail).

I always look for a doe or a small buck for good eating, and leave the trophies for others or to grow another year.

This year I shot a "doe" only to discover that it was actually a very small buck.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
Letting wolves, bears and mountain lions repopulate in their original habitats might work toward a more favorable public opinion of the freedom to carry a gun.

If a walk in the woods actually could be life threatening then having a gun makes sense.

I had a cool little fox living in my neighborhood. Watched it catch a hare and snapped some pics.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
ever want to see how fast a guy can get your car up on a flatbed at 3 am on a dark gravel road in the woods?  just stand there scanning the woods with your flashlight and when he askes what you are looking for tell him "the blackbear i saw here last night. "  new jersey kid had to set a new personal record and i though he was gonna freak out when i told him where to take the car and that i was gonna wait for someone who was enroute to pick me up. his eyes real big "your gonna wait out here in the dark?!alone?!"  i thought about teasing him with  not alone  all kinds of critters out here.  in all honesty i worry way more about that brindle pit that runs loose than the bear. was kinda hoping the bear would eat that dog some nite
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »
Ron,

That is one of the coolest pictures I seen.  Very Nice !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/fall_abund.htm
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/bux_per_DR.htm
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/deer/fall_deer_per_DR.htm
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/45717587.html

not too bad deer numbers

If you look at the maps, I hunt in management area 41. This management area has for decades has had the largest deer populations and higher deer kill totals than any any other management unit in the state. The surrounding units have also had similar kinds of hunting opportunities. Over the last 5 years or so, the deer populations in this area of the state have been absolutely decimated. Bears have always been there in large numbers, there are some cougars, I've seen one and have seen tracks. Wolves have only shown up within the last few years.  I checked in with a deer registration station near where I hunt on the tuesday after the opening weekend. Usually there are registration numbers in the mid 200s by the end of the first weekend at this site, there were 48 this year when I checked in. last year it was in the low 100s, but we had better weather last year.
I also have a tough time swallowing any data put out by the DNR as well. They make wild claims, overcount deer by the millions, insist that there are only a few wolf packs in the state and that they don't exist in places where hunters have seen their activity, and have up until recently have denied the existance of cougars in the state, despite a myriad of sightings, photos caught on trail cams, and other evidence.
They have been bungling herd management and population counts for years now- a lot of it has to do with the level of power the governor wields in our state over the DNR, and we currently have the most anti-hunting and anti--gun governor in our state's history.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 09:23:58 AM »
ever want to see how fast a guy can get your car up on a flatbed at 3 am on a dark gravel road in the woods?  just stand there scanning the woods with your flashlight and when he askes what you are looking for tell him "the blackbear i saw here last night. "  new jersey kid had to set a new personal record and i though he was gonna freak out when i told him where to take the car and that i was gonna wait for someone who was enroute to pick me up. his eyes real big "your gonna wait out here in the dark?!alone?!"  i thought about teasing him with  not alone  all kinds of critters out here.  in all honesty i worry way more about that brindle pit that runs loose than the bear. was kinda hoping the bear would eat that dog some nite

hehe. The only time I've been nervous about bear was about 10 years ago when I took a week off to go bowhunting alone in N. WI and arrowed a deer at dusk. I went out out 2 hours later to track it and found it. I kept my head on a serious swivel while dressing it and dragging it out- I felt seriously undergunned carrying only a 9mm(not sure if it was even legal to carry, but no way was I going out there completely unarmed  =D:O   Other than that, bears pretty much leave you alone so long as no cubs are involved.

Barack Obama

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 09:32:37 AM »
Letting wolves, bears and mountain lions repopulate in their original habitats might work toward a more favorable public opinion of the freedom to carry a gun.

No it wouldn't because they don't care.

No one seems to asking WHY they want to reintroduce predators to ranges where they have been gone for generations.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »
So why do you think they are re-introducing them?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »
Well, it seems to me that they are trying to drive the ranching and rural folk off the land  =(

It's no secret that there are those who want to turn the western half of the US into essentially one gigantic national park.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »
I think that might be giving them too much credit. I think it's more along the lines of, "Ooh, wolves are pwetty. Wet's put da pwetty wolves evewywhere so we can snuggle with them whenever we want!"

But really, I think you're probably right. It's the whole people are bad animals are good thing. Let's restore nature to its original pristine condition regardless of how it affects humans.

Stevelyn makes it sound more sinister, though, so I'm curious as to what he thinks.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »
There's a reason wolves died out in these areas in the first place.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 11:12:07 PM »
I wonder if introducing wolves to DC would drive out the jackals?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 11:21:26 PM »
I wonder if introducing wolves to DC would drive out the jackals?

As long as they get the rats afterwards, that'd be fine with me! =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero