Author Topic: Sex in the Country  (Read 7214 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Sex in the Country
« on: March 15, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »
Why the jokes and misconceptions about country folk having sex with near relatives or with farm animals?  I know such accusations are usually jokes, but I think some people actually believe that such things are more common in the countryside.

Has anyone here actually seen this in rural areas?  I havent.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »
I have some theories.

1.   Regarding incest, it seems that in the Old Country, at one time, marriage between first cousins was to be preferred for keeping the familys money and property within the family.  Characters in Jane Austins early nineteenth century British novels seemed to think this was a pretty good idea.  Perhaps in isolated rural communities, here in America, such patterns continued after they had been abandoned in the rest of the country.

2.   Maybe both of these things have to do with the lesser number of eligible partners in areas of lower population density, especially in frontier areas.  Ads for mail-order brides could certainly make city-folk speculate or jest that men on the frontier were getting desperate.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:47:11 PM »
City folk have been looking down their noses at country folk since Babylon was a wide spot in the road.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

TarpleyG

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 02:48:22 AM »
I have been researching my family history quite a bit lately (thanks to Barbara for lighting a fire under me again) and I just received a copy of an article from 1922 in which it was stated that "intermarrying" was quite common a while back.  The references in this book were from around the early to late 1700s and in Indiana and Kentucky...not as far south as some may usually associate with this sort of thing.

Greg

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Sex in the Country
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 02:51:13 AM »
Child Molest and Sexual Misconduct (underage girls) is usually split between Yankees and Southerners.  However, every single Incest case I've had is Southern.

I do not know what conclusions one can draw from that, perhaps that in the hills where these people are from that there are not many women about as it is hard to move around.  Or, it is a family tradition that evolved before the development of roads in the New South.  Not really certain myself.

As for general perceptions, it is a New York City presumption that everyone west of Yonkers is a barefoot farmer that has sex with children and animals since they do not live in New York City.  This perception is passed into popular media which originates in New York City.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Art Eatman

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 03:02:28 AM »
Consider the 1700s/1800s, and the number of small, isolated communitites.  Consider the difficulties of travel in a cash-poor society.

Availabilty of eligible partners.  For all that cousin/cousin marriage isn't incest, a few generations of that and you can easily wind up with genetic problems.

Hey, homo sap is a mammal, right?  The problems are more obvious with such mammals as show-dogs.

Actual incest, I think, is more a cultural thing, far more likely in physically or socially isolated communities.  (Based on casual readings, not on scientific knowledge on my part.)

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 03:08:51 AM »
every single Incest case I've had is Southern.
Are you talking about brothers with sisters, or fathers with daughters, aunts with nephews, or what?  

I did once hear about a guy down around Houston, who sold trailer homes.  One client looking for a trailer was very upset, and he revealed that the trailer was for his son and daughter that were having a child together.  Sad

Lennyjoe

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 04:20:26 AM »
We had a deputy up in Marana get arrested for trying to poke the neighbors sheep a couple of weeks ago.  Does that count?

grampster

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 04:31:11 AM »
Hmmmm...Sheep?  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

El Tejon

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 04:52:08 AM »
fistful, have all been fathers/daughters.  

My experience with them confirms what Art said.  I think it was the isolation of the hills that made incest part of their culture and even when "Readin', Ritin' and Route 31 North" took them up to Yankeeland to find employment and a better life, they maintained the cultural habits of their origins.  Thomas Sowell's book "White Liberals and Black Rednecks" makes this observation as well that is evident right from the opening paragraph.

I think there is an analogy to the drug culture, especially marijuana, in which lower SESs use dope so continuously that it is an accepted part of their lives and its use is not "wrong" to them.  As well, if one grows up being abused via incest them this becomes your normal (as sick as others find it).

Not approving any of this or making excuses, just saying what I see.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

matis

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 06:44:32 AM »
Na, you guys have got this all wrong.

Have you ever heard of trans-gendered or cross-dressing country folk?  Or country people having sex-change operations, or men screwing men or women screwing women or both screwing children like we have in the cities?

There's probably some but they have sense enough to hide it.

I think it's all a plot by the city sex-freaks to divert attention from themselves.

I know, I know.  The thought-police will be here any moment to take me away.

I'll go down shootin'!   Wink

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

...has left the building.

Sex in the Country
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 08:18:54 AM »
*scratches head

Wow. And all this time I thought "sex in the country" meant shacking up with a hot girl that can run a 36-row planter and shoot a shotgun. I'm glad I've been operating under this definition for the past few years instead of yours! Wink

Sex in the Country
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 08:28:48 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
My experience with them confirms what Art said.  I think it was the isolation of the hills that made incest part of their culture ...
Art's hilly town is very tiny. Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Sex in the Country
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 08:34:47 AM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
*scratches head

Wow. And all this time I thought "sex in the country" meant shacking up with a hot girl that can run a 36-row planter and shoot a shotgun. I'm glad I've been operating under this definition for the past few years instead of yours! Wink
Yeah that was what I was thinking, or some Boone's Farm wine and horizontal polka in the back of an old 4x4 pickup truck with a stadium blanket on a dirt road (not gravel) near some old cemetery or old stone house homestead. Of course after the 10 pm but before her curfew. Maybe some Alabama playing on the radio.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Art Eatman

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 09:02:03 AM »
Incest:  The game the whole family can play.
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Sex in the Country
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 09:18:51 AM »
I'm not at all fond of my grandfather from my mother's side angry.  He's from Missouri.  So if this is a pattern, yeah...chalk up another.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Sex in the Country
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 10:35:46 AM »
Quote from: Lennyjoe
We had a deputy up in Marana get arrested for trying to poke the neighbors sheep a couple of weeks ago.  Does that count?
Seriously? Hadn't heard about that. Did it make the Republic, or did they manage to keep it quiet?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 11:16:57 AM »
Kept it pretty much quiet.

I guess someone seen him walking to the neighbors house with a pair of hip waders and velcro gloves on Wink

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Sex in the Country
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »
One of my Uncle's was an Assistant DA in McAllen, TX back in the early/mid 70's. He had a quite good conviction rate except for one type of case - incest. 95% of the incest cases came from the Hispanic community and Hispanics usually made up a sizable proportion of the jury in those cases.

He rarely got a conviction. The Hispanics didn't see anything wrong with a dad porkin' his daughter as long as she was past puberty. According to my uncle it was a cultural thing and it got to the point where the DA didn't even bother to prosecute the case if after a detailed interview with the girl it appeared she either consented or wasn't physically hurt. It just cost too much time and money to make a point that the mexicans just didn't get anyway.

Different strokes as the saying goes...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

mtnbkr

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 01:31:18 PM »
They were just doing work lazy Americans wouldn't do.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 02:41:29 PM »
They were just doing work lazy Americans wouldn't do.
Priceless!

Werewolf, I really don't want to believe that.

Tejon are these incest cases rural, urban or in between?

El Tejon

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 03:01:47 AM »
Have seen incest cases in both the cities and the county.

It is my understanding from talking with my guys that incest is not a crime in most of Mexico.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Sex in the Country
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 03:22:18 AM »
I was with charby all the way till he got to the part about Alabama. How can you possibly do the polka to Alabama? I've found Van Morrison is not a bad choice though... Tongue

But seriously...

Up here there's a little old what used to be a water powered textile mill community way out in the sticks where it is rumored that interfamily marriage was taking place way back when. A lot of the residents sure look like a lot of the other residents in and around there.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 04:27:46 AM »
well how do you think they bred up them AKC dogs?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

...has left the building.

Sex in the Country
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 08:32:41 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
I was with charby all the way till he got to the part about Alabama. How can you possibly do the polka to Alabama? I've found Van Morrison is not a bad choice though... Tongue
I'm more of a Rob Zombie guy but to each their own Wink