Author Topic: Sex in the Country  (Read 7213 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Sex in the Country
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 08:43:44 AM »
I put Alabama because it seems to be in every young country boy's collection.

Well in college it was Pink Floyd's Live album of  "Dark Side of the Moon"

Some how that album always sealed the deal after bar close.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Sex in the Country
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 08:44:52 AM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
I'm more of a Rob Zombie guy but to each their own Wink
Frightening.  Please let that be the last detail we read about your sex life.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »
This thread puts me in mind of an old Bill Mauldin cartoon that showed some WW II GI's walking through a French village.   A tall storklike, bespectacled, dorky looking GI was mentioning to his buddies that his dad had fought around that territory somewhere in WW I.  Looking closer at the cartoon showed all the Frenchmen looked just like the GI.  
Probably most of you are too young to remember Bill Mauldin.  I bet Art knows exactly what I am talking about, though.
  PS:  Art, I have an original hard copy of Up Front, published in 1944.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Strings

Sex in the Country
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 12:21:12 PM »
I think it was the isolation of rural communities. I know that in NE Wisconsin, there used to be a LOT of cousin/cousin marriages: and we have the high per capita rate in mental retardation to prove it!

And it doesn't have to be "cultural" to get passed on: one of THE biggest problems with child abuse cases (of any kind) is the tendancy for the behavior to happen through generations. I don't call it "cultural"...

...has left the building.

Sex in the Country
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 01:34:51 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Quote from: Daniel Flory
I'm more of a Rob Zombie guy but to each their own Wink
haha! I was intentionally trying to be a jackass.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Sex in the Country
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »
Depends on the girl I guess. A Rob Zombie girl might be a nice change of pace.

For some of us...

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Justin

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »
I wouldn't know anything at all about NIN.

Nope.

*walks away whistling Closer...*
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Art Eatman

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2006, 04:38:11 PM »
Me, too, Grampster.

I guess my favorite cut line is, "I can't get no lower!  My buttons is in the way!"

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Sex in the Country
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2006, 06:27:27 PM »
I can understand the part about incest not being a crime in Mexico, but as we all know, something can be legal yet considered reprehensible by society at large.  According to the culture and society of Mexico, incest is not considered a bad thing?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sex in the Country
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2006, 07:21:53 PM »
Yeah that was what I was thinking, or some Boone's Farm wine and horizontal polka in the back of an old 4x4 pickup truck with a stadium blanket on a dirt road (not gravel) near some old cemetery or old stone house homestead. Of course after the 10 pm but before her curfew. Maybe some Alabama playing on the radio.
holy *expletive deleted*it.... have you been spying on me or something???   thats crazy.

take me down.... (/randy owen)

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2006, 07:54:59 PM »
Millcreek, did you notice this post?  Sad, if true.

Quote from: Werewolf
One of my Uncle's was an Assistant DA in McAllen, TX back in the early/mid 70's. He had a quite good conviction rate except for one type of case - incest. 95% of the incest cases came from the Hispanic community and Hispanics usually made up a sizable proportion of the jury in those cases.  He rarely got a conviction.

The Hispanics didn't see anything wrong with a dad porkin' his daughter as long as she was past puberty. According to my uncle it was a cultural thing and it got to the point where the DA didn't even bother to prosecute the case if after a detailed interview with the girl it appeared she either consented or wasn't physically hurt. It just cost too much time and money to make a point that the mexicans just didn't get anyway.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Sex in the Country
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2006, 06:22:14 AM »
Fistful, I did see that post, and I was curious as to if there was a difference on this issue in the Hispanic culture in the US vs. the culture in Mexico.  It is hard for me to imagine a culture in which this is not seen as a terrible thing, but cultures vary.

At my clinic, we occasionally encounter similiar culture dissonance issues in taking care of patients.  As an example, some of the recent African immigrants come from cultures that practice female circumcision, which is usually called female genital mutilation (FGM) in this country.  These patients come to us and ask us to perform the procedure.  Suffice it to say that we do not.  The patients are puzzled and distressed by this, since their interpretation of their religious beliefs mandates this procedure.  Be that as it may, but our ethics do not allow us to do this.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Sex in the Country
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2006, 07:49:43 AM »
Fistful, I did see that post, and I was curious as to if there was a difference on this issue in the Hispanic culture in the US vs. the culture in Mexico.  It is hard for me to imagine a culture in which this is not seen as a terrible thing, but cultures vary.
Yes they do.

The ancient egyptians, pre-columbian Hawaaians both practiced incest. The egyptians at the royal family level but the Hawaaian at all levels.

There were some African tribes where it was the father's duty to take the daughter's virginity.

The Taboo against incest is not some instinctual thing. It is learned. The idea that it leads to all sorts of bad physical things is true only if it is practiced incorrectly - which the egyptians did and the Hawaaians did not. The chance of reinforcing good genes is the same as that of reinforcing bad genes. The Hawaaians tossed defective progeny into the sea and were considered as a group among the finest physical examples of humanity available. The egyptians didn't dispose of the defectives and it lead to a pretty sorry example of humans. The European royal families are another example of the problems inbreeding without the willingness to eliminate the defectives can lead to.

Don't believe incest can lead to improvements of the breed - take a look at animal husbandry. Incest taken to it's most extreme conclusion.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

grampster

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2006, 08:11:39 AM »
Art,
I always really liked the one where Willy (or Joe, I don't remember) is digging a foxhole as a tank was driving by.  He said, "I'll keep diggin, a movin' foxhole attracts de eye."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Art Eatman

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2006, 01:19:25 PM »
"Did you ever notice how this zipper sounds just like an 88?"

:-), Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2006, 01:25:05 PM »
Don't believe incest can lead to improvements of the breed - take a look at animal husbandry. Incest taken to it's most extreme conclusion.
What do you mean?  If you're talking about developing breeds of dogs, isn't it true that mutts are more robust?  From time to time, I hear that certain breeds are susceptible to a particular health problem.  But then, I'd never pay for a dog, when kids are standing outside Wal-Mart givin' em away.  Smiley

The Hawaaians tossed defective progeny into the sea and were considered as a group among the finest physical examples of humanity available. The egyptians didn't dispose of the defectives and it lead to a pretty sorry example of humans. The European royal families are another example of the problems inbreeding without the willingness to eliminate the defectives can lead to.
Well, we could also do that with "defectives," to use that cold terminology, who aren't products of incest.  The Greeks and Romans both did.  Maybe the Hawaains did this because they did produced a lot of "defectives."  Does this practice change the fact that closely related individuals are likely to have the same genetic mutations, and therefore the two strands of DNA cannot correct one another?  At least that's how it was explained to me.  No geneticist here.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »
Millcreek, what is the religion of those seeking female circumcision?  Just curious.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Sex in the Country
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »
Fistful, it is my understanding that people from Africa who practice female circumcision primarily identify themselves as Muslim, but there are also Christian, Jewish and Animist population groups in Africa that practice this.  The practice is most common in northern Africa, although there are also groups in Asia and the Middle East that participate in it.  Many religious authorities in the Muslim, Christian and Jewish faiths say that there is no religious basis for female circumcision, so it seems to be more of a societal/cultural group issue, or is based upon an individual's interpretation of his or her religious beliefs.  

Female circumcision generally consists of removal of the clitoris and parts of the labia majora and labia minora, and sometime also partial closure of the vaginal opening.  It was traditionally done by family members or members of a tribe who had particular experience with the procedure.  With the immigration of these cultural populations to First World countries, many medical providers have been asked to perform them.  Based on my review of the medical literature and speaking with my colleagues nationally, few if any First World medical providers do so.  In our area, it has primarily been the Sudanese population that has requested this.

Sex in the Country
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2006, 02:03:35 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Millcreek, what is the religion of those seeking female circumcision?  Just curious.
The are from a variety of religions. The practice is cultural rather than religious, so it is practiced by a wide range of people, regardless of faith. Today, many of them are Muslims, although the practice itself is older than islam, and it has been practiced by groups of people who were Christian, as well as those from a whole range of tribal religions.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Sex in the Country
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2006, 02:30:09 PM »
What do you mean?  If you're talking about developing breeds of dogs, isn't it true that mutts are more robust?  From time to time, I hear that certain breeds are susceptible to a particular health problem.  But then, I'd never pay for a dog, when kids are standing outside Wal-Mart givin' em away.
Mutts are more robust when it comes to dog breeds but that is because in breeding dogs the breeders are looking to reinforce particular traits that identify a breed. They are not trying to reinforce positive genes and eliminate bad ones. In cattle breeding the same thing happens. When developing animals for meat those characteristics are reinforced. The breeder doesn't care whether that comes with a short life span, weak bones or not. They breed for one or two characteristics only. The inbreeding comes about because breeders can see the traits in just a few generations as opposed to the many it would take if they bred non-related animals.

From a genetic point of view the probability of reinforcing good traits when inbreeding occurs is only slightly less than the probability of reinforcing bad genes. In nature the problem is self correcting. In human society it is not as humans understandably have a reluctance to throw away their offspring or just leave them to die. So carriers of bad genes unless the gene is fatal, go on to breed (hemophelia in the royal families of Europe, The elongated mishapen skulls of the pharohs(sp)).

The incest taboo makes perfect sense humans being what they are and pretty much must be enforced if our gene pool is to remain diversified (but only because humans are unwilling to take the steps necessary to eliminate those traits that are not so welcome).

Ideas like I've presented above led to the hole eugenics thing of the early to mid 20th century and we all know where that led. There's a reason inbreeding and selective breeding are taboo. In most cultures they create more bad than good.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Sex in the Country
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2006, 03:05:29 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Considering how difficult it is for someone from another country to emigrate here (especially when Filipinos with Phds can be made to wait for years and years and years) it makes me wonder how people that backwards are able to get in.
For the Sudanese population in our area, they were displaced by civil war and languished for years in refugee camps until some countries, including the USA, granted them the ability to immigrate.  So I think that special dispensations were made since they were a population displaced by war.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »
Why did I ask this question?  Ick.

Strings

Sex in the Country
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2006, 08:53:38 PM »
Masochistic tendancies showing through? Wink

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2006, 09:20:01 PM »
Hunter Rose, it's about time you added that sigline.  Smiley

A philosophy prof of mine said that, when in Egypt, he found that the women there regarded FC as necessary for moral reasons.  According to their culture, women have such an aggressive and dangerous sexual appetite, that it was necessary to reduce their ability to enjoy sex.  I wonder how the men of that culture can preach that nonsense with a straight face.  It's just too ridiculous.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Sex in the Country
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2006, 10:03:20 PM »
Just what harm do you think is posed to the US by the desire of Sudanese refugees to practice FGM?  If they're on welfare or joining gangs, that's an unrelated issue.