Author Topic: Replacement/Upgrade battery for a UPS?  (Read 1066 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Replacement/Upgrade battery for a UPS?
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »
So I'm looking at an APC BackUPS 450, and it has a defunct battery... Battery was a rechargable Sealed Lead Acid Panasonic LC-R0612P1. Says that cycle use on it is 7.25-7.45V, and that standby use is 6.8-6.9V... The stores call it a 6 volt battery. Can I get some nice longer wires, and hook this sucker up to a larger 6 volt battery? Would I want to?
Blog under construction

Triphammer

• friend
Re: Replacement/Upgrade battery for a UPS?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »
From the model # this looks to be a 12AH battery. You may be able to go to an 18Ah. I use "Batteries Plus". Good online presence but use the search w/ the model, their category grouping is miserable.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
Another vote for BatteriesPlus.  I buy replacement batteries for all of my company's UPS units, mostly the APC brand, from BP all the time.  Call your local BP store and give them the model number of the UPS.  They can cross to it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »
Ahah... The thing uses TWO 6 volt batteries, in series...

Which means that I'm going to get a coupla chunks of wire, run down to Wally World, and buy a 12 volt marine battery, which will sit in a box under it. Will cost about the same, or less, than buying two 6 volt replacement batteries, and paying shipping.

And provide a LOT more backup time...
Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
Note:  Some chargers will get upset about the excess capacity and report that the battery has a problem.

Also, the inverter circuits are often designed to only provide a certain amount of power for a specific time.  The heat loading it built with this in mind.  If you add capacity, you may overheat the inverter section.

Even a crappy two hundred watt dedicated inverter has a ribbed aluminum case and a fan.  Fair warning.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:14 PM »
Nick be right.  Bogie, go to the BP website, use their store locator and see if there is one near you.  They have stores all over the country, and they'll probably stock the batteries for that UPS.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:33:37 PM »
So I'm looking at an APC BackUPS 450, and it has a defunct battery... Battery was a rechargable Sealed Lead Acid Panasonic LC-R0612P1. Says that cycle use on it is 7.25-7.45V, and that standby use is 6.8-6.9V... The stores call it a 6 volt battery. Can I get some nice longer wires, and hook this sucker up to a larger 6 volt battery? Would I want to?

For a 450 I'd just replace the whole thing.  Low end UPS' are cheap anymore.

For batteries I go to Fedco, but they deal with resellers only.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »
Argh... I can buy a UPS for less than I can buy the replacement batteries. I'm gonna just find a battery somewhere in the shop, and plug that sucker in... If it smokes, then it smokes.
Blog under construction