Author Topic: Changes in MPG related to temperature?  (Read 2763 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
Re: Changes in MPG related to temperature?
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »
You can get wit dis or you can get wit dat...

I kind of like the toaster myself.
The toaster looks better than than the POS car they're advertising.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 12:56:08 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/cars/11354696.html

So the Star Tribune article is the opposite of my data.  I am going to have to start keeping track of each direction at various temperatures. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »
^

Same here.

I had an 87 Audi CS5000 (turbo, 5-speed stick,small engine, two locking differentials) with one of those engine parameter real-time readouts on it and I consistently got about 31-32 MPG in winter and other long-term cool spells versus about 28+ in warmer weather.  So it wasn't just gasoline tailoring for the seasons, and it wasn't gas brand, and it wasn't my driving habits, and it wasn't relative altitude between destinations.    I would vary my route depending on traffic conditions (I stayed off I-70 and used side streets if there was a jam-up) and the story was the same.  I "kicked" the turbo only when necessary.

That always puzzled me, because as someone mentioned, the computer should have adjusted for maximum mileage --although according to the manual, it took about ten miles for it to adjust to your driving habits, as opposed to instantaneous driving condition changes.

Unless it had something to do with warm versus cold air interacting with the turbocharger... even though I avoided "using" it, it was still in the manifold intake circuit and still doing some compression. I noticed the questioner in the article did not mention a turbocharger.

On the topic of instant fuel mileage calculators, my Buick has one. It also has a gizmo that tells you how many miles left you have on your current tank of fuel. We typically stay in City for the most part, where the Buick gets about 16mpg. One time we went on a short trip up north, and the range estimator said our remaining range was 270 miles when we left and it steadily increased the whole time we were on our trip until it said 340 miles when we got to our destination. We should go on long trips more often; it's like getting free gas!

I too used to reset the computer just at the top of a long hill just to get a 199 MPG reading and an enormously long miles-to-go readout.

Fiddlin' with the instrumentation...

As a side note, I suspect the "Boost Pressure" readout on the turbo of my Audi would have made a fine weather barometer if it had a couple of more digits on it.  After the engine cooled down and the manifold pressure had come to ambient, it would read 0.8 Bar at this altitude when you first turned on the ignition.  At higher altitudes it would kind of flicker between 0.7 and 0.8.  All of which was consistent with the local absolute air pressure. 

In shutting the engine down at idle (throttle valve closed) and turning the ignition back on, you could see the manifold pressure leak back up from .2 or .3 Bar  to a normal reading.

(Absolute ambient air pressure at my altitude is about 635 mmHg, which is 635/760 = 0.83 Bar.  Call it 12.3 psia as opposed to the 14.7 psia at sea level.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 01:56:51 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »
Id go with the winter blend theory myself-the stuff has lower btus per gal.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »
When I lived in MN, Archer-Daniels Midland, a major producer of fuel alcohol, bribed convinced via lobbying the MN legislature that diluting gas with ethanol was a good idea, so they mandated ethanol-diluted gas in the Twin Cities area during the winter. In comparing notes with colleagues, this meant at least a 10% loss of fuel economy, rather than the 3% the lying b@$t@rdS fuel experts claimed.

I used to drive frequently between the Twin Cities and New Ulm (220 miles round trip) and found that during the winter months, New Ulm gas yielded about 10%-12% better fuel economy than Twin Cities gas. No difference during the summer . . .

Yeah, now all the gas in the state is blended with 10% ethanol. And there's still a difference between summer and winter gas (that's why I think it's the butane content) I wish I could at least buy pure gasoline for off-road use (mostly the lawnmower, chainsaws, and generator) but it's not available anywhere, and not worth driving to Iowa for it.
"It's good, though..."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 04:34:33 PM »
I would not think so, since I am driving exactly the same route in the morning as I do in the afternoon, just in reverse.  But this does make me think about weather influences; specifically barometric pressure, as a proxy for altitude.  Hmmm.

What is the altitude of point A?
What is the altitude of point B?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
Id go with the winter blend theory myself-the stuff has lower btus per gal.

When you are driving the same route on the same day using the same gas, variation in MPG is not explicable by differences in the gasoline formulation.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »
Yeah, now all the gas in the state is blended with 10% ethanol. And there's still a difference between summer and winter gas (that's why I think it's the butane content) I wish I could at least buy pure gasoline for off-road use (mostly the lawnmower, chainsaws, and generator) but it's not available anywhere, and not worth driving to Iowa for it.

Check local airports
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 06:11:47 PM »
Check local airports
AVGAS  ;)

Do you want the lead though? Probably kill yourself with lead poisoning in the plume of chainsaw fumes. That could actually be what's wrong with me and everybidy else my age. Sucking in the leaded gas fumes from the lawnmower etc for all those years.  :P
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 10:38:36 PM »
AVGAS  ;)

Do you want the lead though? Probably kill yourself with lead poisoning in the plume of chainsaw fumes. That could actually be what's wrong with me and everybidy else my age. Sucking in the leaded gas fumes from the lawnmower etc for all those years.  :P

Does it turn you into a leadbertarian  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 11:30:49 PM »
AVGAS  ;)

Airport in the neighboring town sells a mix of avgas and unleaded gas. I'm going to get this next spring for my outboard, its a 1976 Johnson 25hp.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »
It will most likely foul the plugs but other than that I ran a 1983 AMC eagle 258 6 cyl for a long time mixing 5 gals of avgas to a fill up of premium. Killed the converter but a few holes punched through it cured that. Or so the mechanic said. I wouldn't know about such things. The Eagle flew...  =D

Your outboard probably doesn't have a converter. ;)

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »
I always wondered about dropping an old tire weight into a 5 gal gas can and letting it leach  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin