Author Topic: Bicycle questions  (Read 7411 times)

220_SWIFT

• friend
Bicycle questions
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
Recently I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  As most know, that means exercise is in my present and future.  During these cold months I am going to the gym.  But I want to start riding once it warms up.  I currently have a Schwinn Hybrid, but it needs replacing. 

I have narrowed it down to a few Trek bikes, 7.3 FX, Fisher series Kaitai, etc.  I am leaning toward Trek for a couple reasons.  First, we bought our daughter a Trek a year and a half ago and it has been a great bike for her.  Secondly, we have a Trek shop very close by.

Any pros/cons about Trek bikes I should know?

Some of their models are available with disc brakes.  Any real advantage to that?

I plan on riding spring/summer/fall and it will be mostly pavement, with some gravel roads and packed bike trails.

Thanks for any input.

7.3 FX (disc)
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/fx/73fxdisc/

7.3 FX
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/fx/73fx/

Fisher Series Kaitai
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/fisher_dual_sport/kaitai/

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Bicycle questions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:05:26 PM »
Disc brakes are cool.

Lower rotational speed of the disc closer at the hub, which results in less friction and greater stopping power.  It also gets your rim braking surface up off the ground and out of the water/mud where it can become slippery.

If you don't:
-ride in the rain;
-ride in the mud;
-ride like a madman and need sport/performance braking;
-compete;

Then you can get by just fine without disc brakes.

I had a Trek back in college, for about 3 months.  It was a great bike up until it got stolen.  That's a drawback for any bike above a Huffy/Magna, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »
Don't know a thing about those bikes, but I do want  to encourage you to get on the bike and stick with it.  I have back problems, so I find it considerably more comfortable to ride a recumbent.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »
Disc brakes are cool.

If you don't:
-ride in the rain;
-ride in the mud;
-ride like a madman and need sport/performance braking;
-compete;

Then you can get by just fine without disc brakes.

I assert that you can get by just fine without disc brakes even IF you ride in the rain or mud, or ride like a madman. I'm not sure about competing, unless you are talking about downhill competition.

Also, disc brakes are indeed cool, but for road / trail riding I would save my money.

I purchased a Trek in 2001 and I put a LOT of time in on it.  At least 3 hours a day every day all summer and more on weekends.  Then probably 10 hours a week as weather permitted during college.  it's sitting in my garage right now with the original hub-based brake pads on it.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »
I live in a wet area and disc brakes are awesome.  Even if I lived in a dry area I would still go with them because of the increased stopping power.  I might be a bit of a Luddite but I prefer my cable actuated Avid BB7s over the hydraulic Avid Juicy 5s for feel and stopping power.

I haven't owned a Trek for about a year but it was a well built bike.  My Gary Fisher mtb is technically a Trek and there have been problems with the frames and rear triangles of that model.  I haven't heard of a single person who wasn't able to get their frames replaced by Trek.  They seem to take customer service pretty seriously.

This made me smile.

I have back problems, so I find it considerably more comfortable to ride a recumbent.

I don't have any problems that keep me from riding a "regular" bike but I own two recumbents myself.  They are fun to ride.  A lot of fun to ride.  If you live near a recumbent shop that will let you rent or test ride bikes I would recommend trying at least a short wheel base and a long wheel base 'bent.  You can also go to Bentrider Online to read about them if you are interested.

I own 4 bikes, a full suspension MTB, a Bianchi road bike and two recumbents.  Now that my quad is living in a storage unit I have room to buy another recumbent, maybe a RANS lwb or a Tour Easy.

edit: sumpnz, I'm not smiling about your back problems, I was thinking about my nice cushy recumbent seats compared to either of my "wedgie" bikes.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »
Mine a Vision R-40.  The company that made them went bankrupt and was liquidated around 2005.  I really like it though.  It has under-seat steering, and has the small 16" wheel in front with a regular size wheel in back.  I can ride that bike for 15 miles and not bother my back, or butt, at all.  Last time I rode a regular bike I made it 5 miles before I had to call SWMBO to pick me up.

ETA: dm1333 - I figured that's what you meant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »
Gary Fisher was bought by trek maybe 10-15 years ago, either one is going to be a decent bike, they are one of the few that has consistently produced frames here in the US. It comes down to which features you want and how the bike fits you, you need to go and take each one of them for a ride before you decide. I'm not familiar with the suspension on the fisher, but if you go off road suspension and disk brakes are nice. I hear they are better now but SRAM was still working out the bugs when I bought my last bike, a Trek 970 with Shimano LX and XT components.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 04:20:24 PM »
sumpnz

That's a good bike!  I have a Volae Century, it uses the exact same seat as the Visions.  I also have a RANS Wave with a 20" front wheel instead of the stock 16".  When I am not taking classes my weekend rides are anywhere from 2-4 hours on my MTB.  My butt isn't screaming by the end of those rides but it sure isn't the same as riding a 'bent.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:21:05 PM »
I've always been happy with Trek bikes though I haven't bought a new one (or any bike) in the last decade.

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »
Thanks for all the great input.

I had not considered a recumbent, but now my curiosity is piqued.  I will definitely stop by the bike shop in the city and try one out.  My only concern is I pull a cart that my son is strapped in.  I like to be able to look back and make sure he is doing OK.  Minor point, as he will outgrow the cart in a year or two.

Still a toss up on the brakes.  I think I will just have to try both out and see what feels better.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »
bedlamite,

I have XTR components on my Gary Fisher and SRAM X-9 on a recumbent.  When the XTR stuff wears out it is going to be replaced with SRAM X-9 or X-0 components.  But I feel like I'm hijacking this thread, I think the OP would be happy with either of those bikes.  Time for me to go to lunch and then go for a ride.  First day without rain in quite a while.  Wood is in short supply, lots of Californians are working on their Arks.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
My only concern is I pull a cart that my son is strapped in.  I like to be able to look back and make sure he is doing OK.

Helmet-mount rear-view mirror?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
220_SWIFT

If you buy a recumbent make sure you get one of those goofy looking rear view mirrors.  They are a lot easier to use than trying to turn around and look behind you and you should be able to see your kid in the trailer without a problem.  For the rest of you bike riders out there, no, I'm not old, don't have a beard and don't have the recumbent aero belly going on either!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
trek is fine

Its one of the last remaining major US bike brands from the 90s

They have assimilated Gary Fisher & Klein

All bikes are sold by tiers

moar money = lighter parts and moar fashion

If you want an economical ride I would check out Redlines current crop

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb/2011-d-440

http://www.bicycledoctorusa.com/cyclecrosspage.htm

My suspension forks cost 435 bucks, any 400 dollar bike with a suspension front end has faux suspension
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
This is true, a recumbent bike already has dorky going right from the start.  Might as well go for broke with an 80's Bell bike helmet, lots of extra mirrors, and flags.   =D

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »
read bikesnobnyc for the lowdown on offroad recumBENTS
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
I had not considered a recumbent, but now my curiosity is piqued.  I will definitely stop by the bike shop in the city and try one out.  

One thing to make sure I point out to you before you do that.  Recumbents are TOTALLY different in how they feel when riding.  The one I got is a very maneuverable bike, but that also means it's a twitchy mo-fo.  First time I rode it (which was also my first time ever on a 'bent) I crashed a few time.  Guy I bought it from made a great point that helped me a lot.  At least with type I have you MUST keep your upper body relaxed.  I was keeping it tense and that made it nigh to impossible to stay stable.  On a wedgie bike you have to be somewhat tensed in the arms and shoulders as you're usually partly supporting your body weight on the handlebars.  Not so with a 'bent.  Keep your arms and shoulder relaxed just like how you're supposed to do when running.

Once I got used to it, I had no problem (at least with stability - lungs were another issue) going up a 10% grade.  And coming down a 10% grade is increadible.  I was easily keeping up with the cars at 40-45mph.  

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
This is true, a recumbent bike already has dorky going right from the start.  Might as well go for broke with an 80's Bell bike helmet, lots of extra mirrors, and flags.   

As opposed to those oh so cool roadies with their brightly colored jerseys, spandex and shaved legs!  Don't forget the testosterone on wheels that is mountain biking either!  ;/  Not many people on a bike look as cool as they think they do, recumbent riders have just come to terms with their dorkiness.   =D

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »
bedlamite,

I have XTR components on my Gary Fisher and SRAM X-9 on a recumbent.  When the XTR stuff wears out it is going to be replaced with SRAM X-9 or X-0 components.  But I feel like I'm hijacking this thread, I think the OP would be happy with either of those bikes.  Time for me to go to lunch and then go for a ride.  First day without rain in quite a while.  Wood is in short supply, lots of Californians are working on their Arks.

I worked both locations at Wolf Cycle from '91-02 as a mechanic. While most of the SRAM stuff worked, there were enough problems with them that I'll stick with Shimano or Campagnolo. As always, YMMV.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 07:32:35 PM »
rolleyes  Not many people on a bike look as cool as they think they do, recumbent riders have just come to terms with their dorkiness.   grin

L.  O.  L.

I'm interested, but 1)recumbents are expensive, and I'm poor enough that I'm unlikely to buy a new bike any time soon, let alone one that costs twice what a standard bike costs.  2)I worry about being seen.  Regular bikes barely register with your average road hypnotized driver as it is.  A little flag sticking up only aggravates the dork factor.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 08:03:09 PM »
If you're thinking of hauling the kiddo, the disc brakes are win. 

The first trek you list is nice. Since it takes 700's, you could use Cyclocross tires for riding in the snow, muck, rain, wet, etc.  Lots of fun, that  >:D
Treks are great bikes.  I think that one is pure win for what you need.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »

As opposed to those oh so cool roadies with their brightly colored jerseys, spandex and shaved legs!  Don't forget the testosterone on wheels that is mountain biking either!  ;/  Not many people on a bike look as cool as they think they do, recumbent riders have just come to terms with their dorkiness.   =D

Guilty as charged, for both the road and mountain bikes. And my uber-dork factor comes from having a Dahon folder.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
What would be my dork factor if I had a recumbant and a folder?  I really want a folder too but can't justify it since I have plenty of room right now.

lee n. field

bents can be expensive but you can always look on Craigslist or Bentrider Online for a deal.  If you live near Seattle you might be able to pick up a short wheelbase bent from Actionbents.  My Volae was a fairly expensive bike but compared to the health benefits I get from my bikes and the mileage I don't put on my Jeep is was worth it.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
bents can be expensive but you can always look on Craigslist or Bentrider Online for a deal.

IIRC I paid $600 for mine from the original owner after finding it on Craigslist.  It was well used, but also well kept.  Eventually I'll need a new chain and sprokets, but that's a regular wear item.

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
Thanks for all the input, it is greatly appreciated.

If you're thinking of hauling the kiddo, the disc brakes are win. 

The first trek you list is nice. Since it takes 700's, you could use Cyclocross tires for riding in the snow, muck, rain, wet, etc.  Lots of fun, that  >:D
Treks are great bikes.  I think that one is pure win for what you need.

Makes sense, and I think it would be worth the extra money for the disc brakes.  Now that I think about it, I did have some issues pulling the cart with grip brakes.  I definitely knew it was back there when stopping.  I was looking at the higher FX bikes, but I didn't think they had any features that I needed, and were worth the added cost.

Thanks again for the input.