Author Topic: Bicycle questions  (Read 7412 times)

go_bang

Re: Bicycle questions
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 01:38:57 PM »

I plan on riding spring/summer/fall and it will be mostly pavement, with some gravel roads and packed bike trails.

I recommend getting an extra wheel set for whatever bike you buy.  Put street tires on one set for pavement and knobbies on the other for gravel and trails.

And if you're planning on hauling a kiddy trailer a full rear fender may not be a bad idea either.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
I recommend getting an extra wheel set for whatever bike you buy.  Put street tires on one set for pavement and knobbies on the other for gravel and trails.

And if you're planning on hauling a kiddy trailer a full rear fender may not be a bad idea either.

I disagree.  Most "hybrid" and light duty cyclocross tires will handle both.

Here's a good set of tires for what he needs, which would be a scholad cheaper than extra wheels:
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/michelin-transworld-sprint-tire
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
Any of the three bikes you linked to will do what you need.  Trek is a good brand.

As for disc brakes, unless you have a specific reason for rim brakes, disc is far superior.  They're easier to adjust (hydraulic disc brakes require no adjustments), aren't affected by weather, mud, etc, and are much more powerful, even after they wear a bit.  You may not need the power for panic stops, but having strong brakes reduces forearm pump on long downhills.

Chris

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 09:56:04 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I think I will definitely go with the disc brakes. I can't see any disadvantage of them, and I would hate to regret it later.

JamisJockey- Thanks for the link.  Those look like pretty good tires.  And there is no way I am buying a separate set of wheels.  If the terrain was more varied, I'd consider it.  But since it won't be, it would not be worth the money.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 11:47:41 PM »
Quote from: lee n. field
I'm interested, but 1)recumbents are expensive, and I'm poor enough that I'm unlikely to buy a new bike any time soon, let alone one that costs twice what a standard bike costs.
lee n. field

bents can be expensive but you can always look on Craigslist or Bentrider Online for a deal.  If you live near Seattle you might be able to pick up a short wheelbase bent from Actionbents.  My Volae was a fairly expensive bike but compared to the health benefits I get from my bikes and the mileage I don't put on my Jeep is was worth it.

Garage sale finds are much more my speed, economics wise.  Latest, a Specialized Hard Rock Sport, $20.  It needed nothing except a new rim strip, and to be adjusted to fit me.

(I had it for a total of five hours, and dropped it off at home.  It was stolen off the porch, with people in the house.  And retrieved by the local police a couple days after I reported it.  Sometimes you get lucky.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.