Author Topic: True Grit  (Read 9626 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: True Grit
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »
Bringing an old thread back to life.

I just got "True Grit" a couple of days ago, and have watched it twice. I like it much better than the original, perhaps because I was never a John Wayne fan. Or maybe it's because the new version is much better.

Jeff Bridges did a total transformation on this one, leaving me to think of him as Rooster Cogburn throughout the movie, and never as Jeff Bridges. That's a great accomplishment for an actor.

Mattie's character was a bit unbelievable, especially in the bargaining scene with the stable owner. Still, it was a good acting job.

I've become a bit biased against Matt Damon since he started talking politics, something I wish actors wouldn't do. Nevertheless he did well, assuming that he wanted his character to have a bit of a Dudley Dooright quality.

I'll have to take it on faith that the stilted way in which the characters spoke was faithful to the period, although it's at odds with every other western movie I've seen.

I didn't even recognize Barry Pepper as Ned. He's been showing up in a lot of movies I watch, and always does a good job. His character in this movie had a little more room for quirkiness.

There aren't many westerns I really enjoy, but this was one of them.

Back to the regular programming. ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
I've seen the old and the new versions.  Loved the new version.

Every single movie ever made by either John Wayne or Charlton Heston needs re-making.  Neither man is an actor.  Both are characters that are merely dumped into a studio and vomit forth anachronisms, cliches and pet phrases.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Finally watched it on pay per view a few days ago. I liked it on it's own even though I'm a die hard Duke fan.
As far as the stilted dialogue that was my only complaint with the original movie. It's my understanding it came from the book.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
I've become a bit biased against Matt Damon since he started talking politics, something I wish actors wouldn't do. Nevertheless he did well, assuming that he wanted his character to have a bit of a Dudley Dooright quality.

I'll have to take it on faith that the stilted way in which the characters spoke was faithful to the period, although it's at odds with every other western movie I've seen.

I think both of those are true to the book.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
Every single movie ever made by either John Wayne or Charlton Heston needs re-making.  Neither man is an actor.
Heston was most definitely an actor - but a stage actor. It took decades before people stopped using the heavy-handed/exaggerated stage characterizations.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »
Heston was most definitely an actor - but a stage actor. It took decades before people stopped using the heavy-handed/exaggerated stage characterizations.

Very true.....most early TV actors came from the stage rather than the movies....just look at William Shatner's early bio....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shatner#Early_stage.2C_film.2C_and_television_work
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 09:18:30 AM »
I couldn't figure out what the scene with the guy hanging from the tree was all about  ???

It didn't seem to have anything to do with the rest of the story.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
They need to come across a man hanging in order to meet up with the doctor who suggests they follow the river.

As for the man hanging high in a tree, that was the decision of the director and cinematographer after scouting locations. Almost accidental. It's mentioned in an interview here.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »
They need to come across a man hanging in order to meet up with the doctor who suggests they follow the river.

I know that's the way things happen in real life, but from a movie perspective it seems like they wasted a lot of screen time on not much of anything.

I've seen cut scenes from other movies that were quite good but the director/editor just didn't think it added much to the movie.

I think both versions have their good points.  The remake is more "gritty" and more true to the period and setting, but the JW original is more watchable IMO.  I thought the JW scene above the dugout waiting for Pepper's gang was better than Bridges rambling tale on horseback.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin