Author Topic: who knows the score on EMP's Man made &/or natural?  (Read 4241 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
who knows the score on EMP's Man made &/or natural?
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
I'm having an ongoing debate with a friend and I think I'm right, but I need data. He claims an EMP attack would cause a carrington (not sure if its K or C ) which he says would only affect those living near a grid or on the grid meaning his car, pc etc would keep working because we are way off grid no power lines or telephone lines.

I say "it depends"  we may be far enough out of the way here in northern NV to escape a west coast attack but no pc would be able to connect anyway because the satellites ( for us ) would be useless as well as those on cable and if we were in the blast zone even though we are far from the grid the car wouldn't work.

We have small portable gens I think those will work as long as we have fuel ... correct?

I've seen reports that claim we are due for solar flares in late 2012 early 2013.
If they are as bad as its been reported than we may have our answers the hard way.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: who knows the score on EMP's Man made &/or natural?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »
It all depends on proximity to the blast.

The electromagnetic flux drops off with distance, squared.

Yes, the grid will pick up an EMF wave like a big antennae.  That said, keep in mind that high voltage transients are common on the grid, it gets smoked with lightning all the time.  The bits and pieces that actually transform/transmit power are up for it, in my opinion.

Really, the susceptible things are the IC's with their miniaturized transistors.  Particularly mosfets.  If a device like this is close enough, and has enough pusdo-antennae's coming off it (A PC with a mouse plugged in, etc), then yea, it's cooked.  But, in my opinion grid-connected-ness isn't going to have much, if any, effect.  (Would a large transient that is that short even make it through a transformer?  I don't think so, too much magnetic reluctance and too short of a pulse.)

As far as generators go, most all small engines produced since the 80's use electronics in the magneto to create spark.  Unless you're running something old, or diesel, don't be so sure it will run.

Further, the generator heads on many of these designs use a solid state voltage regulator, which contains transistors.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »
oh, I thought only old diesels would run- a modern diesel gen would work? thats good to know because ranchers around here usually have a truck fill up their large tanks so theres a good chance some fuel will be around - what about modern diesel cars/trucks I thought they have to many electronics.

Not sure what a mosfets is, if you have a spare voltage regulator could you simply swap it out?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
Wouldn't the hull of a vehicle protect to an extent?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
oh, I thought only old diesels would run- a modern diesel gen would work? thats good to know because ranchers around here usually have a truck fill up their large tanks so theres a good chance some fuel will be around - what about modern diesel cars/trucks I thought they have to many electronics.

Not sure what a mosfets is, if you have a spare voltage regulator could you simply swap it out?

MOSFET indicates the type of transistor (as opposed to BJTs, a different type of transistor) used in creating these integrated circuit.

As for just swapping out the voltage regulator for a spare I think that would still depend on the size and proximity of the EMP. There are copper PCB board traces and leads on the components in the spare voltage regulator which will act as antennae picking up enough energy from the EMP blast to damage the ICs even if the spare is not connected to anything.
Andy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
Back in the day, wasn't it the Soviet plan to do a couple of high-altitude bursts to wipe out most of the grid from EMP? I thought I recall seeing a map showing how just a couple of bursts, strategically located, would impact a major portion of the electricity grid.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:13:16 PM »
Back in the day, wasn't it the Soviet plan to do a couple of high-altitude bursts to wipe out most of the grid from EMP? I thought I recall seeing a map showing how just a couple of bursts, strategically located, would impact a major portion of the electricity grid.

Well, what would it really take? A tree limb took out the whole Northeast a few years back.

Keep the spare gen head in your hardened bunker.

For the diesels you would need mechanical injectors and glow plugs ran off a switch not a controller.

We won't know for sure until it happens. We have become so dependent on transistors that some manufactures have been using boards in things that have no need for them but people have come to expect them.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:33:35 PM »
"hardened bunker" thats another question, what do you need to keep your vehicles & electronics safe from EMP? like fer instance, you have a metal building , not on the grid way out in the middle of nowhere in a very unpopulated area-is that good enough?
One mechanic I know says you need a "faraday cage" , my friend says a lead lined building is the only way.  What if you build yourself a garage thats half way in the side of a hill?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:21 PM »
MOSFET = Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor.

As for an EMP wiping out modern civilization that is pretty much Scifi hokum. Sure if you're close enough to the source there will be damage but as with any kind of radiation, time, distance and shielding are your friends.
Of course .mil stuff is hardened agaisnt EMP and in theory most of the electrical distribution grid is supposed to be along with redundant back ups.

If the bad guys wanted to disrupt us with an EMP burst it would be targeted to major cities and with a airburst nuke big enough to nock out electronics with the EMP for any significant distance your ipod not working will be the least of your worries.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:01 PM »
ok, but what about mother nature? the oft described carrington effect?
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »

Sigh.  Short version, EMP is overhyped.  If it was easy and effective, it'd be used by now. 

We have metric tons of electromagnetic interfence at any given time.  Everything electronic gives off some EMI.  Transformers, power lines, etc give off tons.  To take out the US, you'd need a couple dozen tuned nukes.  Even then, you'd just fry things that didn't properly ground.  Even in WWII, which had theoretically more robust (against EMI/EMP) electronics, stuff still fried.  It'd be fairly hit or miss.  Your alarm clock might be beautifully constructed and survive without a hitch.  Your PC might fry itself.  All depends.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/car-lightning

I do love folks that claim the satellites are all going to be killed by EMP "cuz there ain't no air!!!!11!".  Yes, because they don't get hit by cosmic radiation and solar flares all day long. 

A successful EMP attack would cause a lot of damage.  But of limited scope.  You'd make some line crews pissed as hell, and insurance companies would be hit with a lot of small claims from improperly grounded electronics.  Interwebz, vehicles, food, etc would all be fine, with minor inconveniences all over the place. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 12:33:53 AM »
The big thing with EMP besides proximity, is the size or length of the antenna that's attached to the things you want or (don't want to be) zapped.

That's why the power grid is susceptible, the lines are miles long, and set up huge voltage potentials. The movies showing cell phones and watches all dying miles and miles away from a nuke or EMP blast all stopping, not so much. The components and circuit traces are only millimeters long, and don't intercept much RF at all. Orientation to the best polarization is also at issue.

The cell tower may well go out, since it's got several hundred linear feet of metal in it, that will intercept the EMP and create a much higher potential and get things fried. OTOH, cell towers are probably designed to be lightning resistant, and isolate their components etc.

So yeah, overhyped. Maybe one single city with a close blast, or some large multi-state electrical runs overload with the hypothetical H-Bomb in orbit over CONUS, but everything, everywhere, with one single or small strike?... I doubt it.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 03:39:31 AM »
A successful EMP attack would cause a lot of damage.  But of limited scope.  You'd make some line crews pissed as hell, and insurance companies would be hit with a lot of small claims from improperly grounded electronics.  Interwebz, vehicles, food, etc would all be fine, with minor inconveniences all over the place.

Look at it from the perspective of the sheeple response, though; knock out a good bit of WoW infrastructure and/or iTunes bad enough to keep them down for a week or two, and you'll have a bunch of panicky fools with nothing better to do than raise hell.  Take out a major credit card processor or two and you'll play hell with commerce, and more importantly, people's confidence in credit/debit cards.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:36 AM »
We have become so dependent on transistors that some manufactures have been using boards in things that have no need for them but people have come to expect them.
When microprocessors became the new buzzword, marketing decided one of our new products HAD to contain a microprocessor.

It didn't need one, nor would it benefit from one, but Marketing insisted.

So the lab duly built the device, demonstrated it, and Marketing was happy - tickled pink with the performance, in fact. At which point the VP of Marketing said "See - I TOLD you the device needed microprocessor control!"

The project manager said "Hold on a minute - you never said anything about microprocessor control - you only required we include a microprocessor in the device."

At which point the project manager reached around the back, opened a little drawer, and pulled out a microprocessor - still in the package.  "See - we included one!"  =D

Much hilarity ensued.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »
If it was easy and effective, it'd be used by now. 

What makes you think it isn't? (at least in limited and very specific applications) ;)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
Here ya go!  More than you most likely want to read.  I have a few questions about the physics of an event but I find the consequences section to be interesting.
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2010/11/EMP-Attacks-What-the-US-Must-Do-Now
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
Wouldn't the hull of a vehicle protect to an extent?
my memory is busted, but i think it needs to be grounded. faraday.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »
When microprocessors became the new buzzword, marketing decided one of our new products HAD to contain a microprocessor.

It didn't need one, nor would it benefit from one, but Marketing insisted.

So the lab duly built the device, demonstrated it, and Marketing was happy - tickled pink with the performance, in fact. At which point the VP of Marketing said "See - I TOLD you the device needed microprocessor control!"

The project manager said "Hold on a minute - you never said anything about microprocessor control - you only required we include a microprocessor in the device."

At which point the project manager reached around the back, opened a little drawer, and pulled out a microprocessor - still in the package.  "See - we included one!"  =D

Much hilarity ensued.

Those are the same people who keep the marketing phrase "free refills for life" alive.... because they fall for it.

At leas the "Hi Def" craze has calmed down a bit.  At one point I wouldn't have been surprised to see it (in big, explosion-ized, as-seen-on-TV letters of course) on a roll of toilet paper.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:52:22 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »
Actually, EMP is pretty easy to create at a local level.  No, I'm not going to talk about it on a public forum.  As for large scale EMP, I worry not.  Anything that we really want to keep safe should be hardened through silicon on insulator or silicon on sapphire techniques.  I'm pretty sure the military uses this, and if the power industry isn't, they're retarded. 

Also, antenna length isn't the major factor.  It's resonant lengths.  Just because an antenna is 1 billion meters long, doesn't mean it's going to be a good receiver.  It's wavelength dependent.  Quarter wave dipole antennas and all that.  My research is actually closely related to antenna theory at the nanoscale. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 12:35:47 AM »
What makes you think it isn't? (at least in limited and very specific applications) ;)

Brad

I'm aware of a number of usages within the last few years, actually.  It has been used in specific and narrow applications.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
I'm aware of a number of usages within the last few years, actually.  It has been used in specific and narrow applications.
Since you won't/can't provide details, are the any news reports available?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
Actually, EMP is pretty easy to create at a local level.  No, I'm not going to talk about it on a public forum.  As for large scale EMP, I worry not.  Anything that we really want to keep safe should be hardened through silicon on insulator or silicon on sapphire techniques.  I'm pretty sure the military uses this, and if the power industry isn't, they're retarded. 

Also, antenna length isn't the major factor.  It's resonant lengths.  Just because an antenna is 1 billion meters long, doesn't mean it's going to be a good receiver.  It's wavelength dependent.  Quarter wave dipole antennas and all that.  My research is actually closely related to antenna theory at the nanoscale. 

IIRC it was a highly charged coil crushed/compressed by a conventional explosive. (pumped flux compressor?)

I think there's another design that works on the MHD principle, using a conventional explosive to shoot plasma/gas through the coils to generate EMP. Kind of like the Hunt For Red October drive in reverse. (For the sub it was charge the coils and make a fluid/gas move, instead have a moving gas, the explosion, charge the coils...)

Then there's the devices that are like klystrons and magnetrons on steroids.

Of course, "everybody knows how to make a nuclear bomb too", but doing it right, as always, the devil is in the details.
I promise not to duck.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 12:19:27 AM »
IIRC it was a highly charged coil crushed/compressed by a conventional explosive. (pumped flux compressor?)

I think there's another design that works on the MHD principle, using a conventional explosive to shoot plasma/gas through the coils to generate EMP. Kind of like the Hunt For Red October drive in reverse. (For the sub it was charge the coils and make a fluid/gas move, instead have a moving gas, the explosion, charge the coils...)

Then there's the devices that are like klystrons and magnetrons on steroids.

Of course, "everybody knows how to make a nuclear bomb too", but doing it right, as always, the devil is in the details.

Let's just say my boss has fried some stuff. ;)
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 03:44:19 PM »
more homework. ... sigh ... 

what about emp's from solar flares?

ok, but what about mother nature? the oft described carrington effect?
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/